The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shielding boost in 1.1.

Skarramanga

As of 13JAN2012 there is absolutely no change to Shielding on PTR. Tested by myself.

It is nothing but rumor based on failure to comprehend threads stating the opposite.

Shields and Defense still work exactly as the do currently in game on the PTR, they will likely continue to work this way without changes.

This is a good thing. For more information as to why this is a good thing, read this thread here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=166805

If anyone brings this up, please inform them that they are incorrect and not to trust the rumor mill.

Thanks

--ChainsawSam

P.S. I had to level a character to Ion Cylinder to do this and missed my WZ dailies. You guys owe me an Unassembled Champion's Relic, as I assume that is what would have been in my bag.

P.S. I had to level a character to Ion Cylinder to do this and missed my WZ dailies. You guys owe me an Unassembled Champion's Relic, as I assume that is what would have been in my bag.

For those interested I did manage to get into game and knock out a couple of quick wins with a friend of mine before the WZ daily rolled over.

Know what was in my bag?

Another mother****ing Champion's Relic.

I am officially no longer exaggerating when I say I have gotten more Relics than other pieces.

:mad:

"Shields and Defense still work exactly as the do currently in game on the PTR, they will likely continue to work this way without changes.

This is a good thing. For more information as to why this is a good thing, read this thread here:

"

Hmm, the link to the thread has no reasons on why shieldtech should be so much worse in pvp than pyro or the other dps. In fact it says "

As Powertechs, we're the hardest hit by this as Shieldtech is the only tanking tree that relies on Shielding not only for Resource management but also for offensive power. Oil Slick is virtually useless in PvP and there are a lot of points to spent specifically on one type of defense (the tree has ten whole talent points in it devoted to Shielding).

We are not the only tanks who would need changes like this to the talent trees.

Additionally Tank PvP gear needs to be entirely recreated. As it stands they provide very little benefit in PvP. This could be done a number of ways, but some examples are: More Armor than the DPS sets (armor is still very useful in PvP), More HP, swapping defensive Stats for more offensive ones, etc.

Comparatively, either of those is a lot more work for the developers than fiddling with a few lines of code to allow Defense/Shielding to apply to everything. Again, that is actually a pretty awful idea if you put a little thought into it. We should not be arguing for the Devs to take the "easy wrong" over the "hard right."

"

It pretty much makes the point that shield tech as it currently stands is much worse than pyro. What does shield tech get that is an advantage in pvp? Both get heavy armor, both get guard, taunt, heavy endurance. However, the shield tech skillset doesn't block the majority of attacks. I'm not quite sure how one would think this is a good thing compared with the other powertech skill trees.

For those interested I did manage to get into game and knock out a couple of quick wins with a friend of mine before the WZ daily rolled over.

Know what was in my bag?

Another mother****ing Champion's Relic.

I am officially no longer exaggerating when I say I have gotten more Relics than other pieces.

:mad:

8, Bob. 8? Yes, 8. Even operations (except this week when I got all but chest for columni gear).

8, Bob. 8? Yes, 8. Even operations (except this week when I got all but chest for columni gear).

Yeah this PvP reward system makes me nerd rage pretty hard sometimes.

It pretty much makes the point that shield tech as it currently stands is much worse than pyro. What does shield tech get that is an advantage in pvp? Both get heavy armor, both get guard, taunt, heavy endurance. However, the shield tech skillset doesn't block the majority of attacks. I'm not quite sure how one would think this is a good thing compared with the other powertech skill trees.

If you're talking about running Pyro with Ion, then you're right on most accounts. I get a lot of mileage out of No Escape and Jet Charge though (We are Imperial, I 80% of my games are Huttball right now). There always seems to be some ******* shooting at you as well, so you get your heat venting and Rocket Punch resets often enough to be worth the talent points, but it's just not worth stacking Shield rating for. You are not Shielding a significant amount of damage, and the tree definitely could use some fixes.

A majority of Pyro's DPS comes from two talents the hybrid ST/Pyro spec gets. I don't think the dev's had any idea exactly how much damage Prototype Particle Accelerator and Superheated Rail adds up to. These two talents are the most powerful combination I've ever seen mid tier on an MMO talent tree. The big hit for PvP is losing Thermal Detonator of course, because it is an asinine amount of Burst.

If you're talking about running Pyro with CGC, then Shieldtech still mitigates a lot more damage simply due to Ion Cylinder. Armor works on a LOT of attacks in this game, most Force attacks included. I guess the bright side of these findings is that Ion is the bulk of your PvP mitigation and it is available to anyone, so you can play what you want for the most part.

Shieldtech needs some work. I've been saying it since before I tested all of this. I think switching some of the talents to "On taking damage" (like the Juggs get) rather than "On shielding an attack" would be a pretty major step in the right direction.

Thanks for the testing and updating chainsawsamuri. And for the post in general, as I have been reading the forums a lot lately regarding this issue.

I have a powertech that was frustrated as a shieldtech. I have respec'd into CP and I am enjoying it quite a bit more. grazie!

chainsaw makes a great point (same point I have been saying to my friends and clan) about ST needing its abilities affect "taking damage" not just "shielding attacks"

keep up the great work guys!