Stephen Reid/@Rockjaw: Your EGA tears are not real issues

Mazinger-Zetto

he has been gagged and cuffed by EA policy.... EA owns Bioware.... EA did this to mark jacobs in mythic for warhammer online.....

Mr Reid must have chewed out EA today to get the gag removed.... props

This is the kind of stuff that makes discussing anything mildly critical of the game so painful. This is wildly speculative and based on nothing but your speculations, right? Unless you have some source of info the rest of us don't?

Without violating the forum policy of commenting on specific employees, I'm just going to say this. WE don't pay CS people's salaries. Bioware and EA do. They pay them to deal with us. That disconnect between our money and their performance makes the Grand Canyon look like a tiny little crack in the sidewalk.

Never assume a customer service person is on your side. They aren't. And for the love of all that is reasonable and logical, don't canonize them, making up digital hagiographies for them!

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You all might laugh at the OP but i can see the point he is trying to get across. This Steve person in hes response was very unprofessional and could have and should have handled that alot better then he did.

you want someone to be "professional" but you feel it's okay to flood his personal twitter account with QQ's about an early access program that was never gauranteed or promised to anyone.............get off it already

I think he lost his composure for a few minutes, as that's clearly something you shouldn't say to your customers. I don't believe it's bad enough to be fired over.

he didn't lose his composure, he said exactly what he meant. You ppl need to get over it and stop acting like the world is ending. If you can't do that then playing a MMO should be the last thing on your to do list.

yes the "customer is always right" mantra has led to the downfall of what was once a strong retail enviroment in the US. Most companies simply do not care, they pretend to be friendly, and help you. In the overall scheme of things though, a consumers lack of respect, composure, and understanding are far more detrimental to the retail enviroment then the business itself. The consumer over time has forced the retail industry to change how it operates and only for the worse. Edited by Stoicraven

There is quite a difference between working as support in 1 on 1 environment and working as CM in a gaming industry... for example if it would be a real 1v1 situation, he would never say that, but on twitter he gets to invoke the sympathies of the silent majority, which is what really counts here.

See, now I haven't even looked at the tweet yet and I find what you say here a logicial conclusion to this forum thread.

I can only laugh at this thread as I went to work immediately after posting it and kind of watched it snowball all day.

First and foremost, let me say that while I did send him a few tweets, if you look at his history he's been actually fielding issues all day. I had just followed him that morning and that scrolled across the screen, so I posted it.

Second, let me say to the other support veterans, when I did support, it was supporting the financial systems of clients that pumped, individually, thousands of dollars into the company a month (auto industry). While this pales in comparison to your MMO subscriber, a public gaffe on something as pan-spanning as Twitter may as well cost more than just a single subscriber's dollars. (Cue the crowd that says 'good' but EA loves its monies)

For clarification, this has very little to do with the actual EGA. Quite frankly, had it been posted beforehand with a definitive plan, I would be all for it. I could know I could let the issue die until say... Friday. But without knowing the exact process, all you can do is bang away at your inbox and monitor the forums and get frustrated with each button push.

And quite frankly, they seem to be "all or nothing" on pleasing the users and have determined "why bother" if they are going to get *****ed at anyway. I would settle for mollifying as many people as I could with well-thought out explanations and details on how things will progress so users had an idea on how this was going to impact them. And even if it all did not go to plan, then you can still tell them what went wrong. Posing as the all-mysterious developers whose details are not for us mere mortals further enflame things. It does not show any solidarity between community and the developers.

So while this has little to do with the EGA, it has everything to do with tone and respect for the base. I bought this on Best Buy and all they said was early access. Anyway, the launch of an MMO is the courtship period for your subscriber base and name a successful MMO that's been more tightlipped about how things are going.

At the very least with your normal MMO launch, everyone is having the same experience and are a lot more forgiving (since said experience is par for the course). Again, the EGA staggering would not have been an issue if more PR care was taken and that's the crux of the point. The CM has been poor for those stuck on the outside.

Anyway, continue on with your calls of entitlement (Good lord, how dare you expect above-Comcast quality service) and "first-world-problems" (because God forbid that after you've eliminated the third-world, there's no room for improvement).

Thank you for your intelligent post. I can somewhat sympathize with people going crazy about EGA and complaining to Mr. Reid, but perhaps it would be better not to come across as snarky to those who, whether right or wrong, are truly pissed at the real or perceived inadequacies of this EGA. I would ask those who are supporting Mr. Reid, have you worked retail? At Christmas? When the madness and true insanity comes out of every mother and father as they try to get their little kid that "must have" toy? Hmm? No? Ok, so here's some clarification. If you tell a customer, whether through words or actions "Stop complaining you little baby" well, either you will get clocked in the head, pulled in to your manager's office, or out on your *** and looking for another job.

If he truly wants to avoid everything, shut down your Twitter Mr. Reid. Silence everyone, watch that new Sherlock Holmes film coming out on Friday, read a book, but please, please do not act so condescending to those who are relied on to pay for subscriptions and ensure SWTOR remains successful.

you want someone to be "professional" but you feel it's okay to flood his personal twitter account with QQ's about an early access program that was never gauranteed or promised to anyone.............get off it already

I don't disagree with a lot of this post. But it stopped being his 'personal' account when he decided to use it as the primary venue of communications with the customer base rather than directing game conversation to the official SWTOR Twitter account.

You all might laugh at the OP but i can see the point he is trying to get across. This Steve person in hes response was very unprofessional and could have and should have handled that alot better then he did.

So the whole point of this thread is just to say, Stephen Reid you are not doing your Job to certain standards and should be fired???!?!??!

Im sorry, I thought we were all here just to play their awesome product...No lets form a lynch mob over anything no matter how small we feel slighted by. BECAUSE WE CAN AND IT IS OWED TO US

get over yourselves, wait inline, play and profit

S.T.U.P.I.D

Just a first time MMO buyer here. I'm really interested in this game (hence why I preordered it) but I'm a little hesitant about the society in place here. If so many people are reacting so drastically to not getting a game early, when they all know that they will play FOR sure on Tuesday.... then what am I getting myself into?

Let's all act like the responsible adults we are and be classy online. Why join the rest of the trolls?

By the way, I agree that the twitter post was definitely okay to post. Not playing early is not an issue. Period.

I don't disagree with a lot of this post. But it stopped being his 'personal' account when he decided to use it as the primary venue of communications with the customer base rather than directing game conversation to the official SWTOR Twitter account.

so he's not allowed to do that, he's not allowed to have an opinion? This is freakin AMERICA, we have the RIGHT guaranteed under the constitution to FREE SPEECH GET OFF IT!

yes the "customer is always right" mantra has led to the downfall of what was once a strong retail enviroment in the US. Most companies simply do not care, they pretend to be friendly, and help you. In the overall scheme of things though, a consumers lack of respect, composure, and understanding are far more detrimental to the retail enviroment then the business itself. The consumer over time has forced the retail industry to change how it operates and only for the worse.

Yep, gotta stop babysitting the minority. If you wanted to have a healthy environment for your consumer overall community, gotta just let to bad seeds go.

That's why cell phone companies do not negotiate with customers that are always unhappy about their service because they're phone got turned off for not paying the bill for 3 months. Some people just grew up in a situation where to get what you want you gotta have a bad attitude all the time. That's an extreme example, but you guys know what I mean.

Just a first time MMO buyer here. I'm really interested in this game (hence why I preordered it) but I'm a little hesitant about the society in place here. If so many people are reacting so drastically to not getting a game early, when they all know that they will play FOR sure on Tuesday.... then what am I getting myself into?

Let's all act like the responsible adults we are and be classy online. Why join the rest of the trolls?

By the way, I agree that the twitter post was definitely okay to post. Not playing early is not an issue. Period.

I feel for you my friend. Everyone knows that the mmo community has gone to garbage in the last few years. Back in the day people used to be "normal." Now all you can find is people crying for anything and this is one of them.

Back in EQ and beginning of WoW people used to be friendly, now you're lucky if you can find 1 or 2 nice people online.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/ comes to mind.

he didn't lose his composure, he said exactly what he meant. You ppl need to get over it and stop acting like the world is ending. If you can't do that then playing a MMO should be the last thing on your to do list.

In the customer service business, you don't say what you mean. You treat the customer with respect whether they deserve it or not, even if they're wasting your time.

so he's not allowed to do that, he's not allowed to have an opinion? This is freakin AMERICA, we have the RIGHT guaranteed under the constitution to FREE SPEECH GET OFF IT!

true, but also not true, when you are in the customer relations area of a business there are quite a few things you cannot say or you will be disciplined or fired promptly, he said those things while he was on the clock, i'm not saying he was wrong just that you cannot say what you want when at work.

https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw/status/146967418332397568

Okay, whether you believe he's in the right or not, this is poor community relations. As someone who has worked support, this would have gotten me fired.

Even if you ignore a customer's issues, you never verbally marginalize it. Never.

Oh hoooo I know who you are. I am on Rockjaw's side %100.

Your mother would want you to be more polite.