Is it true that there are 2 different versions of some planets?

Tarka

I heard that there are two versions of certain planets / zones. One for Imperial and one for Republic. For instance, the Republic version of Balmorra is actually different to the Imperial version (the Imp version doesn't have the Queen's Lair underground area).

Can anyone confirm this?

Are there other planets / zones that have different versions for each side?

If so, this would explain why we don't actually see the other faction players a lot of the time during leveling.

When you've completely finished a planet, look at your map. There are areas still undiscovered. If you're Republic, those places are likely Empire questing zones and vice versa. The two questing zones rarely coincide.

Tattooine is a good example of a planet where Republic and Empire have quests that overlap one another, and you should expect to see the other faction more often than other leveling planets there.

Edited by Acri

When you've completely finished a planet, look at your map. There are areas still undiscovered. If you're Republic, those places are likely Empire questing zones and vice versa. The two questing zones rarely coincide.

Tattooine is a good example of a planet where Republic and Empire have quests that overlap one another, and you should expect to see the other faction more often than other leveling planets there.

I understand about places like Tatooine with shared "overlap" areas. Which is common for MMO's. But, to have a completely separate version of a planet for the different factions is would explain why we seldom see the opposite faction during the leveling process.

Not what hes talking about. Taris and Balmorra have two versions. A level 16-20 and a 33-37 version. The low level Taris is for Republic and the low level Balmorra is for empire, when you go there as the other faction its the high level version.

I think part of the reason for this is to save development time, rather than completely remake the planet they only need to wipe the mobs off and redesign it for later levels, however the planets do feel vastly different between their low level and high level counterpart imo.

Edited by truedark

Balmorra and Taris are "Phased" for each faction.

Balmorra is the level 17-20ish planet for Empire while Taris is 17-20ish for Republic. Then they flip in the 30's - Balmorra for Republic and Taris for Empire.

Phasing usually involves the same geographical layout of a location being populated with different "objects". For instance, the hills, tunnels, etc are all the same, just things like tents, npcs etc that are positioned or visible differently.

But that's not the case with places like Balmorra, which apparently actually differs in its geographical layout. For instance, I believe that the Rep version of Balmorra has an underground "Queens Lair". The Imperial version doesn't have that (iirc).

Essentially, it isn't just phased, its a different version.

I think it's a shame that the factions are kept so separated throughout the leveling process. Perhaps this is assisting in making people feel that the servers aren't populated well enough.

Edited by Tarka

These twp planets should have not have been faction specific. Because the only two planets that have any success of being a pvp zone is Tatioone and Alderaan. That means these two planets are the only two planets from level 1-37 that you can PvP. Yes i also believe this is affecting the feel of the world in regards to population and why many are saying this game is more single player with some co-op thrown in.

In saying that any such expansions moving forward should be created for PvP. If i find another world like Taris or Balmorra in an expansion, i wouldn't be able to express my anger. I mean I know there is an audience that plays this game that likes all of these solo areas, but have to stress this is an MMO and maybe for those a singleplayer game would be more fitting.

I can tell you the differences between the two version of Taris. The maps are identical (and perhaps mirrored), and Imperial Taris is at night while Republic Taris is during the day. I'm not sure about Balmorra because I didn't level my Republic character that high in beta.

Phasing usually involves the same geographical layout of a location being populated with different "objects". For instance, the hills, tunnels, etc are all the same, just things like tents, npcs etc that are positioned or visible differently.

But that's not the case with places like Balmorra, which apparently actually differs in its geographical layout. For instance, I believe that the Rep version of Balmorra has an underground "Queens Lair". The Imperial version doesn't have that (iirc).

Essentially, it isn't just phased, its a different version.

I think it's a shame that the factions are kept so separated throughout the leveling process. Perhaps this is assisting in making people feel that the servers aren't populated well enough.

Different area, same name.

Make sense though. As big as some of the zones might seem, they can't realistically encompass the entirety of a planet's surface.

I can definitely vouch for Taris having two versions. That was the most dramatic for me. When I played trooper I explored the entire map. I returned as an agent and the map was the same but totally different.

For starters, Republic player Taris is daytime... Imperial is set at night. If you know where the other side's spaceport is, you will find an npc base in its location on the opposite map.

I have not been to Balmorra as a republic player, but I imagine it is similar.

That actually makes me wonder... what about pvp servers? Do they have two versions of Taris or do they have both factions on one planet?

Can anyone confirm or deny this on pvp servers? I play rp-pve.

Edited by Scandana

I can definitely vouch for Taris having two versions. That was the most dramatic for me. When I played trooper I explored the entire map. I returned as an agent and the map was the same but totally different.

For starters, Republic player Taris is daytime... Imperial is set at night. If you know where the other side's spaceport is, you will find an npc base in its location on the opposite map.

I have not been to Balmorra as a republic agent, but I imagine it is similar.

That actually makes me wonder... what about pvp servers? Do they have two versions of Taris or do they have both factions on one planet?

Can anyone confirm or deny this on pvp servers? I play rp-pve.

I really REALLY doubt they would ever change it just for a pvp server. There would be outcries of unfairness and all that. That would make them have to make entirely new quests just for a pvp server and change the level limits for both sides because it wouldnt be fair for level 17-24s to go up against 33-37s or whatever the levels are. I will have to say the chances for it being different are extremely unlikely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.