How to spec for levelling?

BobBarnsen

Concealment seems to be the popular choice ^^ (I'm using that tree myself)

This is a pretty generic specc...the last 2 points are a bit of free choice since I myself belive alacrity to be a waste of talent points for an ops but maybe I'm just misinformed ^^

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/imperial_agent/operative/#::e5fe2fe7fe2f19ef6ef5ef2ef4:

Just go up the Concealment tree and pick the main stuff and you'll be fine ;)

cheers

Hey there mate! I've, to my surprise, found that Operative Medicine was the best levelling spec. Concealment to me doesn't become viable until you receive Acid Blade (the final skill).

Medicine still deals a respectable amount of damage to NPCs, and you can bring a damage companion along. It also lets you duke it out with large groups of opponents easier, or golden ones.

Concealment may be quicker on later levels maybe, but Medicine is always strong I feel, and only gets stronger as you level up.

Besides, if you're Medicine, you can be the healer in any group quests you find! :)

Besides, if you're Medicine, you can be the healer in any group quests you find! :)

Everything this poster said is right. I levelled as medic, as well as teaching you how to play a healer while you're leveling you'll learn how to gear yourself appropriately to maximise your dps, which certainly isn't lacking.

Being able to do quests that Concealment spec's would have difficulty doing as well as heal through any heroics that are looking for a healer and still level just as fast with the right gear/strats is pretty good. Plus you don't have to sit around after every group of mobs to regen =p Plus learning to dps at lvl 50 is not really a challenge once you've played to lvl 50 anyway, learning to heal at 50 is a lot harder.

So to answer the question: Do you intend to heal at 50? If so, play medic. Even if the answer is no, play medic. Medics rock. <3 Medics.

Hey there,

I am also a medic, and whilst I can relate to medic being a pretty decent way to level and get you accustomed to healing, I do think it is important to emphasize that I think you should not attempt to "fill" the whole heal tree.

There will be a point (after Surgical Probe) whereby things will "stagnate". Your tank might not do enough damage, and I personally felt I had to really be able to do more DPS myself, despite being a healer...

I would suggest getting Medic skills at least up to Kolto Probe with Medical Engineering as an absolute minimum (like this)and, if you feel you are medic omgyeswoohoo, then probably up to Surgical Probe and probably Surgical Precision (like this). After that, go get some DPS.

I found the increase of my own damage output, as a healer (yeywoohoo), grew substantially with getting Concealment skills such as Concealed Attacks, Surgical Strikes, Laceration, etc. At least one stops feeling like one is dependent on a companion to actually do some damage, it also becomes easier to solo enemies...

Just my personal view. Medic, YES!, but don't go for the 31 skill, it will hold you back and slow you down.

Edited by DarthIncy

TBH healing spec be good your first companion is a tank/dps, yep she is a tank (got Taunts) so heal spec makes you and her good to roll (easiest solo combo is healer+other).

As for best well all 3 are good really the differences come down to your playstyle really.

Edited by Kotli

I worked my way up the healer tree to Accomplished Doctor than moved into the Lethality tree for the haste and crit goodness. Basically I plan on going 28/0/13 mainly because atm the HoT at the top of the healer tree isn't all that good. It takes way too long to heal and most likely before it even finished you'll need to top up with a main heal anyway. Edited by Kamay

Hey there,

I am also a medic, and whilst I can relate to medic being a pretty decent way to level and get you accustomed to healing, I do think it is important to emphasize that I think you should not attempt to "fill" the whole heal tree.

There will be a point (after Surgical Probe) whereby things will "stagnate". Your tank might not do enough damage, and I personally felt I had to really be able to do more DPS myself, despite being a healer...

I would suggest getting Medic skills at least up to Kolto Probe with Medical Engineering as an absolute minimum (like this)and, if you feel you are medic omgyeswoohoo, then probably up to Surgical Probe and probably Surgical Precision (like this). After that, go get some DPS.

I found the increase of my own damage output, as a healer (yeywoohoo), grew substantially with getting Concealment skills such as Concealed Attacks, Surgical Strikes, Laceration, etc. At least one stops feeling like one is dependent on a companion to actually do some damage, it also becomes easier to solo enemies...

Just my personal view. Medic, YES!, but don't go for the 31 skill, it will hold you back and slow you down.

i agree, this is definatly the way to go for lvling solo and jumping into the occasional group. having already got 50 merc and my OP is now in his 30's this seems to be a pretty steady way to lvl. I've opted for speccing lethality from 27 onward for my endgame spec, support damage / heal and so far i've had no problems with any quests, one boss was a pain coz of his buggyness (dont wanna spoil it) but a little LOS abuse and he was mine :D

With your first 3 points takes the 6% ranged/tech crit from lethality, then with your next 3 points takes the 9% cunning from med tree. Then just pick a tree and go with it since they are all perfectly viable. I went with the med tree since it allows me to solo Heroic 4s heasily as i have a tanking pet. The first 6 points are the most important since they give you the best passive bonuses out of any class ive seen. 6% crit and 9% cunning cant be beat by any other talent from lvl 10-15

So if you go medic lethality are you going to be a healer with ranged attacks, and medic concealment medic with melee attacks?

The reason i ask is i want to heal but i don't particularly like the idea of having to run in to mobs to assist with dps (im kind of thinking about pvp here too).

Are operatives able to heal from range and assist with dps if you go medic/leth? Or is this not viable?

First 11 points in Medicine to get Kolto Probe

Next 11 points in Concealment to get Laceration

That gives you the bread and butter stuff from both trees. After that it's a matter of preference. If you prefer having heals for more peace of mind or if you're wanting to get into groups easier for flashpoints, top up Medicine. If you prefer to have your normal fights go quicker, top up Concealment. Either way you'll want to probably put a couple more points in both trees to get the upgrades to both Laceration and Kolto Probe.

So if you go medic lethality are you going to be a healer with ranged attacks, and medic concealment medic with melee attacks?

The reason i ask is i want to heal but i don't particularly like the idea of having to run in to mobs to assist with dps (im kind of thinking about pvp here too).

Are operatives able to heal from range and assist with dps if you go medic/leth? Or is this not viable?

best utility comes in close IMHO but for ranged damage.

rifleshot energy gree spam if you have time 30M

Dart DOT (30 Meters)

grenade AOE (30 M)

Droid CC (I believe 30 meters)

in cover

Snipe (30 M)

Explosive Probe (30 M)

Headshot Silver and under incapacitated mobs (30 M)

so yes you have ranged damage abilities you can use generally on cooldown.

I omitted 10 M abilities don't think I missed any.

best utility comes in close IMHO but for ranged damage.

rifleshot energy gree spam if you have time 30M

Dart DOT (30 Meters)

grenade AOE (30 M)

Droid CC (I believe 30 meters)

in cover

Snipe (30 M)

Explosive Probe (30 M)

Headshot Silver and under incapacitated mobs (30 M)

so yes you have ranged damage abilities you can use generally on cooldown.

I omitted 10 M abilities don't think I missed any.

Awesome cheers for that, was expecting "go reroll a merc" posts haha.

What would a spec build that utilises these ranged attacks look like? i hate to compare to wow but i like the playstyle of the old restokin (offensive healing).

What would a spec build that utilises these ranged attacks look like? i hate to compare to wow but i like the playstyle of the old restokin (offensive healing).

played restbalance specs myself. Honestly not a ton to make your ranged damage bigger you do have buttons to push. You asked about medicine lethality.

Keep in mind lots of these abilities have cooldowns and I guarantee you will find out you end up at melee (OP melee is much funner that catdruid).

Lethality Ups the DOT by allowing it to double tick and extend duration(2nd tier). Can increase crit on periodic effects if you go high enough. Bigger damage is definitely inside plus your stun AOE mez etc...

The in cover abilities get boosted by the sniper AC so you won't have that option but dropping explosive probes or snipes can happen but won't be frenquent particularly snipe which has a cast time and requires cover. No Moonfire spam really.

merc is also enjoyable I ended up preferring the op style largely for the melee damage system and stealth. They did a good job letting you get in close.

doing damage at range and doing big damage at range are two different questions.

i have a 50 merc, and the playstile is much different, even healing is different, due to tactical advantage.

with my merc i took all the damage all the time, with mako my pocket healer doing her thing + my heals when i needed them i was tank dps and cc all in one.

with my OP I buff myself up with hots and start the fight on foot, i take the alpha and then let kalyo take the rest, all the while i'm moving in for melee hits, 10m blasts and keeping her healed (depending on the toughness of the mobs) i hardly ever use cover, i find i never really need it.

the OP seems much more twitchy and i find more enjoyable, its think on your feet or die.

the OP seems much more twitchy and i find more enjoyable, its think on your feet or die.

agree and if I was going to go ranged healer ranged DPS it would be the JC/SI for the CC options. I hate Khem Val the can't click on loot wall with a passion however.

but merc or SI really are the healing specs with best ranged heal DPS options. Operative has a few cooldowns and rifle shot base attack spam.

great analysis thanks guys. im not too worried about getting in close was just seeing if there were diff options for the medic. i really like the mechanics of the operative and therefore will be sticking with it. looking forward to learning to play a different style of healing class to what i have in the past. cheers!

Hi guys, mid 20s Op here wondering about the viability of a 12/12/17 build which gives the 3rd tier stuff from each tree, including lacerate and the powerful (and ensnaring) corrosive grenade.

Thoughts?

hmm i'm not sure man, tri specs have a bad tendancy of being too weak in all areas, but hey go for it, it might be the best thing you've ever played :D why not, if its crappy then just respec to something else, its worth a try if nothing else.

here is my spec

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401MffMzhZZGbbkrbhd.1

looking forward too see if Lethal Dose from lethality works on kolto probe, i see no reason for it not too :) being on near 30% crit chance at the moment, i'm thinking my dot/hot crit chance is going to be well above 40% by the time i'm 50 :D