What if Star wars Galaxies would be reopened?

DarthPeterNorth

I'll give you that for the feelings about the people, the initial experience with an MMO, and discovering the sandbox - but the mechanics: Custom decorated housing, Non-linear progression, Percentage based crafting performance tied to purity of sample resources - those aren't wrapped into the nostalgia blanket. Those are GOOD mechanics and were implemented VERY well.

Everything else in SWG was bad. Crafting and social Abilities were the only 2 Pros.

Can the Dev's tell the people to stop with these SWG threads. Even if I am an SWG Hater, these threads are starting to get insane.

I played it when it came out for a few hours- it was bad. Anyway, my time was passing for hardcore MMORPGs. I had no interest in spending hundreds of hours doing mindless tasks over and over again in the interests of fun. EQ had its place for a time, but I wouldn't want to play it again.

The only thing to miss from those days was the community, not the game design. SWTOR is a much better game.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll give you that for the feelings about the people, the initial experience with an MMO, and discovering the sandbox - but the mechanics: Custom decorated housing, Non-linear progression, Percentage based crafting performance tied to purity of sample resources - those aren't wrapped into the nostalgia blanket. Those are GOOD mechanics and were implemented VERY well.

Exactly. If they released a game called SWG:Crafting I would play it. Gathering resources was a game unto itself. Finding a bountiful spawn of an epic resource was as fun as winning raid loot. SWG crafting will never be topped and I find it insane that no other game has tried to mimic it. Too many ADD kids gaming now I guess.

Everything else in SWG was bad. Crafting and social Abilities were the only 2 Pros.

Can the Dev's tell the people to stop with these SWG threads. Even if I am an SWG Hater, these threads are starting to get insane.

This is the Star Wars discussion forum so this thread is right on topic.

Galaxies PreCU/NGE was pretty awesome. Not for everyone, but that's what made it so good. It was a sandbox MMO. It did a lot of things better than any game has. A few of my favorites were the housing system, space combat/travel, PvP, and the class setup. The fact that I was allowed to build my house in the middle of a Rancor area was awesome. I considered that an extra "security" feature lol. I had a space yacht I could invite friends up to. You weren't set to one faction (altho it was not exactly easy to change from Reb to Imp) and you could make yourself overt or covert. Open world fights at Wayfar bring back memories. Getting ganked by 8 imps cus they didn't like me (TKM+CM that liked to wreck people's days in Mos Eisley tends to do that) and then calling my buddy up and him logging on and suddenly there is an epic battle taking place in Wayfar. The ability to set up your own class combo was pretty sweet too.

Edited by Callo

So fast I'd probably break my keyboard in the process. <_<

Not that I don't like following Bioware's Star Wars monorail tour.... Kinda reminds me of the disney land ride, star tours was it? You know, just kinda tossed you along the ride, didn't matter what you really said or did, the out come was the same for your designated path? Yeah.... Sandbox plz?

Fresh Start. Before NGE. Skill system etc.

Would you play it? I would for sure.

Nope, and neither would many others. There was a reason it died, and it wasn't the NGE. The NGE was a desperate last ditch attempt to save the game. It was failing before NGE was implemented.

Edited by Mandrax

I would like a Pre-CU SWG and I'd play it. The game was the best I've ever played and the community was the best I was ever a part of as well. I don't think any game is going to be able to replicate the type of community that SWG housed. The only real reason I bought SWTOR was because of SWG; I was never interested in Star Wars until I played SWG. After playing this game I'm getting really tired of these crap theme park games and I thank blizzard for developing diablo 3.

I miss SWG, pre-CU. I miss it desperately, and no game to date has filled that hole. However, I am really loving SWTOR, and I reckon it will be quite a while before I have had my fill of this game. If and when I do, I will very likely move on to an SWG EMU, since they've gotten pretty good.

I miss the crafting, the entertainment professions, the buffs, the non-linear progression, the custom class creation, the housing customization and decoration. What I do not miss is the complete lack of customer support from Sony, being stuck floating in space or a wall for days, krayts spawning randomly in my house (when it was NOT built on a spawn point), broken quests, uncraftable items because certain mats were deleted from the game, and the terror of logging in to find that the CU had made every weapon, every piece of armor, and millions of credits worth of buffpacks into worthless piles of garbage.

I miss SWG, pre-CU. I miss it desperately, and no game to date has filled that hole. However, I am really loving SWTOR, and I reckon it will be quite a while before I have had my fill of this game. If and when I do, I will very likely move on to an SWG EMU, since they've gotten pretty good.

I miss the crafting, the entertainment professions, the buffs, the non-linear progression, the custom class creation, the housing customization and decoration. What I do not miss is the complete lack of customer support from Sony, being stuck floating in space or a wall for days, krayts spawning randomly in my house (when it was NOT built on a spawn point), broken quests, uncraftable items because certain mats were deleted from the game, and the terror of logging in to find that the CU had made every weapon, every piece of armor, and millions of credits worth of buffpacks into worthless piles of garbage.

Hahaha xD I remember loading at the starport at Mos Vegas up by the graveyard and looking over at an ancient Krayt just chillin' there pre-cu. xD Was like "o.o.... Guess I don't have to look?"

And I don't think I've ever heard my friend that pissed about a game when the CU came around and destroyed his pikes. High damage LVA reduced to ****, and my best weapon (powerhammer) turned into something barely over 1.2k dps Y^Y

I would say probably not, but it depends if they fixed the actual problems with the game instead of ignoring them, and adding on top of them. All 3 eras of swg had massive problems with regards to combat and profession balance, but if they did solve those problems, had actual content on a regular basis, update the graphics, i would say so, but if they were re-opening it from the pre-cu, cu, or nge without improving it, I would say no. A lot of people wouldnt go back if that was the case.