DPS Vanguard?

Osocrunk

In either melee or 10m range, you can put out as much damage as any other DPS spec, provided you spec fully for DPS. The only difference between you and an AC with three DPS trees is you have less variety of damage types, range, and tactics for delivering DPS. But you get a tank spec to make up for that.

In PvP, they have a lot of tools. Playstyle is also dependant on which spec you choose, as the 3 trees do offer a good amount of variety. Assault is more of a run and gun spec that has the most range of the 3. Tactics is a highly mobile 4-10m burst damage spec (Fire pulse is high damage), which also has the flexibility of running Ion Cell for guard (if your secondary tree is shield). The shield tree has a lot of mobility control and survivability along with the benefit of Guard. Storm root and movement speed increase with harpoon root is great. Vanguards are very viable at this point in the game as PvP DPS.

Thanks for the replies! I watched a lot of footage on Vanguards in PVP and they seemed to suit my play style but I didn't want to run one if they were not going to be effective dps in PVE as well.

Yea, how about Tactics dps in PVE?

Tactics lacks a snare to maintain either range from other melee or to keep ranged classes close. I am sure it will be ok but Assault and shield spec will perform better overall. Tactics looks good on paper but does not perform as well in game.

So would anyone recommend going 31 into Tactics for pure DPS? Or would I be better off to put most of the points into shield and the rest into Tactics? Also, how does Assault fare dmg-wise against Tactics tree?

Sorry for having no idea about the trooper mechanics and his damage. I know I want to play a DPS Vanguard because of his mobility. But I don't know which way to go. :/

Shield Spec tree is a mid range tank spec.

Assault Spec and Tactics are DPS tree's.

I would go for 31 in either of those and add some passive bonuses from other 2 tree's (first and second tier have nice ones and they work with all the tree's).

If you are going dps for pvp then go assault. All the trees only maximize damage in melee range. Assault does the most damage of the trees beyond 10 meters.

Tactics lacks a snare to maintain either range from other melee or to keep ranged classes close. I am sure it will be ok but Assault and shield spec will perform better overall. Tactics looks good on paper but does not perform as well in game.

I don't think tactics looks that good on paper.

All the talents seem kind of randomly assembled (with few exceptions of course) whereas in the assault tree the talents increase each others importance and form nice synergies.

Edited by Evin

I don't think tactics looks that good on paper.

All the talents seem kind of randomly assembled (with few exceptions of course) whereas in the assault tree the talents increase each others importance and form nice synergies.

I kind of feel the same way. I was just reading that the 31 talent point power in Tactics (Fire Pulse) is not that great.

I'm considering running a hybrid build that focuses on High Impact Bolt procs instead:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/vanguard/#::f2e2fe2fe4f3e2f2ef3ef16ef2efef3e2f2e2fe:

I'll have to play with the rotation but it seems to make the most sense to me...

I kind of feel the same way. I was just reading that the 31 talent point power in Tactics (Fire Pulse) is not that great.

I'm considering running a hybrid build that focuses on High Impact Bolt procs instead:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/vanguard/#::f2e2fe2fe4f3e2f2ef3ef16ef2efef3e2f2e2fe:

I'll have to play with the rotation but it seems to make the most sense to me...

I was playing around with the trees for a while and came up with this

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsZcGMrdhGM.1

for PVP, I should mention.

Else you can skip the defensive talents of course and maximize dmg even more.

I didn't take Burnout because I don't like abilities that only get usefull at a certain low percentage of your enemies health and I'm not going to spend 3 points for 3% crit.

9% Aim should give you a major boost on the other hand, being our main stat and increasing damage and crit chance (ranged and tech)