SWTOR Arenas: How it Should be Done

Zybak

Unless you can get 100% of the gear from arena in Warzones, I'm absolutely against any and all arena. Winning arenas isn't about being skilled, it's about having the right combination of characters repeat the same damn thing over and over.

Even if it's only a weapon.. I don't see why people who roll the flavor of the month should be rewarded more then me for PvPing elsewhere. And for anyone who thinks I'm against arenas because I lack skill to get high rating.. no.. I'd just rather not be bored to death every week to get my points. The only reason I did arenas past 1 week was because it was the only way to get the best rewards, and even when it wasn't anymore (save for the weapon) you still got the points faster by doing arena then BGs.

It's just a poorly thought-out system, and didn't Blizzard themselves claim Arenas were a mistake?

Also, class balance gets really complicated once arena gets in the picture. Either its horrid, or the classes get homogenized.

PvP is balanced for 10v10 or so, not 3v3. I quickly scanned some posts and saw someone saying small scale pvp always balances out perfectly in larger scale pvp... uh.. no. For example, rogue classes are stronger in small scale then large scale.

Arenas were the beginning of the end of PvP in WoW as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Actually read the full OP and if there are no rewards associated with arena's I'm fine with their implementation (so long as nothing gets balanced solely based on them)

Edited by Magic_pants

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

side note: have fun with arena when you:

- get sapped and get 3 orbital strikes (or bh aoe) cast on you.

-have teams where sorc just spam shields on people

-have a team of stealth that can focus fire the crud out of one target, restleath and do it to another target decimating teams of 3 or fewer.

-have a team that can group stealth, non stealth classes.

1. You have your team to help you out such as cleansing, shielding, guard, heals on you and so forth, oh and even popping CC breaker to get out of there before you die.

2. Sorc shield spamming? Ineffective due to firstly wasting your mana and secondly there is a 17/20 second debuff which prevents you from casting the shield again. Shield only absorbs few shots, its not as OP as people state.

3. Team of Stealth? Happens in WoW yet you can easily beat them. You can stay together as a group, have CC breakers ready, AOE to get them out of stealth, use the droids to get them out of stealth (some imp agent ability). You stun a stealther, destroy them considering that most stealthers die if you focus fire them within few seconds. There are plenty of other tactics.

4. So? Get them out of stealth. You speak of Stealth like its instant IWIN button. They still have to get out of stealth, you can't fight while under it.

You can counter the people which use the abilities you have described.

Edited by Cyphen

I clicked the link prepared to fend off more of this area nonsense. your post makes it sound worth while and a system based around fun > reward sounds pretty fun.

So Props to you, OP. good post, good Ideas and thanks for sharing.

it should be done by not doing it. it's silly enough we're at "war" and take a break to play space football against our same faction no less. Now we're gonna engage in gladiatorial combat to help win the war? How about we get more then one world pvp area, and more then one world pvp area where people actually pvp before we throw other things on top of the mess.

side note: have fun with arena when you:

- get sapped and get 3 orbital strikes (or bh aoe) cast on you.

-have teams where sorc just spam shields on people

-have a team of stealth that can focus fire the crud out of one target, restleath and do it to another target decimating teams of 3 or fewer.

-have a team that can group stealth, non stealth classes.

how about I am playing on a pvp server and all the damn planets should be a pvp zone. while their at it, make it so you can level on a planet with the other faction so you can actually have some world pvp. A staged zone to fight people isnt world pvp. But alas, they need to do something about server imbalance before they do anything. Switch sides NOW!! Save the game!

Unless you can get 100% of the gear from arena in Warzones, I'm absolutely against any and all arena. Winning arenas isn't about being skilled, it's about having the right combination of characters repeat the same damn thing over and over.

Even if it's only a weapon.. I don't see why people who roll the flavor of the month should be rewarded more then me for PvPing elsewhere. And for anyone who thinks I'm against arenas because I lack skill to get high rating.. no.. I'd just rather not be bored to death every week to get my points. The only reason I did arenas past 1 week was because it was the only way to get the best rewards, and even when it wasn't anymore (save for the weapon) you still got the points faster by doing arena then BGs.

It's just a poorly thought-out system, and didn't Blizzard themselves claim Arenas were a mistake?

Also, class balance gets really complicated once arena gets in the picture. Either its horrid, or the classes get homogenized.

PvP is balanced for 10v10 or so, not 3v3. I quickly scanned some posts and saw someone saying small scale pvp always balances out perfectly in larger scale pvp... uh.. no. For example, rogue classes are stronger in small scale then large scale.

Arenas were the beginning of the end of PvP in WoW as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Actually read the full OP and if there are no rewards associated with arena's I'm fine with their implementation (so long as nothing gets balanced solely based on them)

Despite your very skewed opinion of arena, I agree. You shouldn't get better gear in arena. In fact the OP suggests you get NO rewards whatsoever. Imo just give us cosmetic gear rather than a stat boost.

Despite your very skewed opinion of arena, I agree. You shouldn't get better gear in arena. In fact the OP suggests you get NO rewards whatsoever. Imo just give us cosmetic gear rather than a stat boost.

Exactly.

As long as the following points are kept away, I don't see why not introduce Arena just for the fun and a getaway feature when you are bored of wPvP or Warzones.

• No Significant rewards such as Gear. Possibly few vanity items like mount, tabard, cloak and gear visual appearance change and maybe some titles for completing feasts.
  • Game is not balanced around Arena, unless there is a specific only Arena Bolster which is suggested in the OPs video (but for PvE).
  • Only one bracket, which is 4v4.

Edited by Cyphen

/signed

Lack of skill-based PVP will kill this game for me. Warzones are too zergy, and I don't want to fight over trivial ******** like a huttball. I want arena/team deathmatch/whatever you wanna call it.

I am uninterested in the complaints that arena will ruin PVE balance. You dragonslayers will manage. And no, not everyone bought this game to RP a blind Jedi through the leveling process.

I'm becoming worried that there isn't anything in this game to justify an actual subscription model.

I clicked the link prepared to fend off more of this area nonsense. your post makes it sound worth while and a system based around fun > reward sounds pretty fun.

So Props to you, OP. good post, good Ideas and thanks for sharing.

awesome :)

Definitely agree on the e-sports theme, but I can't agree on 3v3 and the only game I can think of that went that low was WoW and that's due to (extremely) poor design not choice. 8v8 in GW1 is/was the gold standard and that's before we even start looking at the original e-sports FPS leagues. The top competition in TF2 and CSS are 5v5. Edited by thorizdin

good post but not happening, If you want arena, there is always smugglers den, make your own. Who knows if they get popular enough (though i doubt they will, people wont do anything unless there is a reward involved) they might implement them.

good post but not happening, If you want arena, there is always smugglers den, make your own. Who knows if they get popular enough (though i doubt they will, people wont do anything unless there is a reward involved) they might implement them.

They have already stated they want to implement it. So gg. This is about how they should, not if they should.

Desperately needed since the current pvp is just a shallow gear grind.

It's less than one month ago that the game was released, and there are raids and several warzones already.

And since so many people are already at it, compared with WoW which had no battlegrounds or raids at launch, this game is doing pretty damn good.

+1 To this thread

Amen to that..now to see if the incompetent will even listen...they've shown and displayed a lack of understanding in terms of balance and pvp so far...hope they get this right because the pvp in this game could be so much better