Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Keeping this bumped!

Bottom line for me: combat in this game feels clunky.

While leveling, I don't care so much. The stories are great, the companion system is great, the space mini-game is great. There aren't many MMOs that are also good RPGs.

But endgame is a different story. Here I can choose from a number of games with very similar PvE and PvP systems. Why wouldn't I choose one where my character feels 100% responsive, where clutch abilities are actually clutch, where movement and combat are a joy rather than a chore?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, when you unsticky a known issue, it usually means it's been resolved, or it's trying to be buried.

We know it's not resolved so.... ***?

Yep this is a F#@$ bioware issue now. It is making hate this company. Boycott crap products from them even. If they try to hide there dirty laundry well.. they are doing a poor job at it. you just have to play the game to find it all out.

I'm waiting for an official post, stating that there was an investigation about this problem going on and that it is now safe to say that you are the one to blame. Your miserable connection to the server results in laggy response times. Case closed.

I love playing on my Sith warrior and being stuck in an animation loop because my skill animation is constantly being interrupted by me dodging/blocking/parrying, it's the best.

I actually almost never have this problem on my tank assassin, but I'm having it pretty consistently on my Juggernaut, which is very odd.

It's worth noting that I seemed to be having more responsiveness issues than normal tonight, and I'm not sure why. It one point it took over a second for force speed to activate after being pushed.

I'm waiting for an official post, stating that there was an investigation about this problem going on and that it is now safe to say that you are the one to blame. Your miserable connection to the server results in laggy response times. Case closed.

Wow you're stupid, there was a sticky from a mod saying that this is a known issue. Please go away now, and continue to be bad.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=141027

Edited by Shoxc

Wow you're stupid, there was a sticky from a mod saying that this is a known issue. Please go away now, and continue to be bad.

Don't be naive. If it is known that the fix is unfeasible to implement (in the near future) then the official response can't just state that and has to be something like that.

The texture problem was solved similar "just an UI bug, because your computer can't handle it", before the other official statement was posted.

Edited by GHeissi

Don't be naive. If it is known that the fix is unfeasible to implement (in the near future) then the official response can't just state that and has to be something like that.

The texture problem was solved similar "just an UI bug, because your computer can't handle it", before the other official statement was posted.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/1216434p1.html

GameSpy: Have you made progress in tracking down a way to fix that annoying PvP combat lag issue?

James Ohlen: Oh, yeah. The thing is, it's not a single thing. It's a whole bunch of different things that come together to create the feeling of lag. In some ways that's good news -- it means it's not actually lag -- but in other ways it's bad news. It means we have to touch a whole bunch of different systems to improve it. It's something that we have a lot of different solutions for. A lot of those solutions are coming in Game Update 1 next week. We have some more in the weekly patch that will come out a week after that. That's another thing, our weekly patches, where we're doing bug fixes -- when I say "bug fixes," I don't just mean bugs, I also mean what we like to call "quality of life improvements." Things that are annoying players, we'll make tweaks to them or changes. For example, our auction house, the Galactic Trade Network. People have some issues with some of the features involved there. Because of that, we're making small changes to improve it, they won't be in the major game updates, but instead they'll be in the weekly bug-fix updates.

GameSpy: Thanks for your time!

Edited by xXcronicXx

Yea because multiple maxxed out threads with people who have high quality machines and good connections that have no issues with other games doesn't show it is the game's problem. Try again. You are ignorant and should not even be posting.

Problem is, I will post anyway.

The thing is, I am enjoying the game while I can and don't expect such major design flaws to be fixed.

And that's a good thing, because I won't rage in public forums.

Then don't be like the other trolls who come in here saying it is our computers when the devs have already said otherwise. You are just making yourself look dense.

Then please read my posts again. I said that I am waiting for it to happen, I have NOT said that it is going to happen. Just my personal oppinion. If you want to be offended by it, then you are welcome to do so.

Maybe I'm just another troll. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

There are fixes in 1.1? Must have missed it in the 1.1 changelog.

Edited by GHeissi

Problem is, I will post anyway.

The thing is, I am enjoying the game while I can and don't expect such major design flaws to be fixed.

Then don't be like the other trolls who come in here saying it is our computers when the devs have already said otherwise. You are just making yourself look dense.

Cancelled until this is fixed. Which probably means permanently.

In my case though there were many other aspects of the game which I felt were not well executed, unlike the OP.

Not trying to troll the active community, if you enjoy the game and can tolerate the combat issues, more power to you. I just consider the issue important enough to remark on in the forums while I still have an active account.

It's interesting so many ppl here accept the cheap wow animations for the sake of fast ability spamming. When I started to play TOR I was surprised how good the animations of the characters were ... I paid attention to what was my character doing and based on that I fired my abilities.

A lot of players seem to depend solely on what the UI tells them, not on what the character is doing ... I hope I won't see ability cut offs in future MMOs I play. It's one of the reasons spectating WoW matches is so fun you want to shoot yourself ... watch the UI, disregard the avatars.

I just want to add to this thread that this is in fact extremely important.

I am not much of a PvP player, but I do like to get into the pvp scenario from a casual point of view. If my experience with pvp is highly unresponsive, I will most likely just ignore it.

But this responsive problem is much larger. I am very often having alot of trouble spamming power shot on my bounty hunter. Power shot is on a 1.5 second cast time. And I am only getting a shot out once ever 2.5 seconds.

it's interesting so many ppl here accept the cheap wow animations for the sake of fast ability spamming. When i started to play tor i was surprised how good the animations of the characters were ... I paid attention to what was my character doing and based on that i fired my abilities.

A lot of players seem to depend solely on what the ui tells them, not on what the character is doing ... I hope i won't see ability cut offs in future mmos i play. It's one of the reasons spectating wow matches is so fun you want to shoot yourself ... Watch the ui, disregard the avatars.

-1/10

A lot of players seem to depend solely on what the UI tells them, not on what the character is doing

Yes. UI and character animations give contradicting information. That's why it feels unresponsive. At least that's one reason for clunkiness. If UI telss me it's okay to execute a new skill now, it should be so. And same goes for animations. What is the point having all these nice cast bars, cooldowns and global cooldowns if you aren't supposed to trust them?

It's interesting so many ppl here accept the cheap wow animations for the sake of fast ability spamming. When I started to play TOR I was surprised how good the animations of the characters were ... I paid attention to what was my character doing and based on that I fired my abilities.

A lot of players seem to depend solely on what the UI tells them, not on what the character is doing ... I hope I won't see ability cut offs in future MMOs I play. It's one of the reasons spectating WoW matches is so fun you want to shoot yourself ... watch the UI, disregard the avatars.

Animations yada yada , they're fine as long as they dont brake the game..

Most people in here are not complaining about the animations.. L2Read my friend..

Xcore we're waiting on your vid ;)

Edited by SolitudeWithin