The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Remove Lightsaber Color Restrictions

HundeThutt

Nope.

Vader and Luke's lightsabers in the Original movie were both blue at first. But because Lucas was influenced by old samurai and western films, he decided he wanted the "white hat/black hat" style. They played around with colors and found that Red showed up best. So from that point on, Vader was red and Luke was blue.

In Return of the Jedi, Luke's new saber was also blue. But in the scene with the Sarlacc pit monster, the blue saber wasn't showing up well against the blue sky. So they changed it to green.

In the Prequels, Samuel L. Jackson's favorite color is purple, so he asked for a purple lightsaber. Lucas was like, "Sure, the color's don't mean anything, so why not".

So according to G-canon (highest level), there is no such thing as a restriction on lightsaber color. There's no "force attunement".... nothing.

The EU added lore that green and blue crystals were natural and easily found in republic space... hence why they were more common. Since the Sith were exiled to deep space, they were forced to create their crystals synthetically. The most common color of synthetic crystals was red, but they could be created to be ANY color (Luke's 2nd lightsaber crystal is synthetic and was green).

But even in EU lore, they don't deny that ANY force user can use any crystal they can find or make.

There is no reason for lightsaber color restriction from any source of Lore.

So lightsabers were all going to be blue originally? that makes a lot of sense somehow. Thanks for the awesome detailed info.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing keeping a smuggler from wearing heavy armor either except for artificial game mechanics, so the fact that a Jedi or Sith could physically wield the other factions color is not a strong argument. Sith overwhelmingly wielded red sabers, the Jedi blue and green. Anything else was a rare exception. There should to be a way to encourage players to play with their faction's preferred color, but not completely restrict it. The current system does that; I don't believe it is the best method, but I can't think of any other alternative to keep the game from being more rainbow saber wars than it is.

Right, I don't rightly care if the *gear* is alignment based, say it's "seeping with the power of the dark side" or something, but last time I checked, Shinny colored rocks couldn't form moral allegiances.

LOL!!

Quote of the day.

On another note tho, isnt there Exar Kun (sp?) who was a sith that used Blue/Green?

Seriously though the restrictions are IRRITATING!!!

If nothing else, can we have lootable tokens or something that unlock alignments in some mods/items. At least let us work for it!

Right, I don't rightly care if the *gear* is alignment based, say it's "seeping with the power of the dark side" or something, but last time I checked, Shinny colored rocks couldn't form moral allegiances.

And you don't understand lore, so you fail.

/thread

Restriction should be kept for force users only. Also there should be corruption effects for none force users.

There's no justification anywhere that supports color restriction for force users. Every piece of Lore denies a restriction and supports the fact that any force user can use any crystal they want.

There's no justification anywhere that supports color restriction for force users. Every piece of Lore denies a restriction and supports the fact that any force user can use any crystal they want.

I like the restriction bc of tradition. When you go cheer for your favorite sports team you dont wear their jersey in a different color.

If you want a certain color just make sure your that alignment. How is that hard? Without these restriction aligment would not matter. That is BioWares fault. If the choices had any real consequeces or depth, I wouldnt have a problem with no restriction on color. But thats not the situation.

ps: i also see your pro add ons and macros, so we will never agree.

Edited by Toweleeeie

I'm all for removing alignment restrictions on color crystals. In addition to making sith corruption only apply to force users.

Making red and blue colour crystals faction exclusive may have been a better solution.

I like the restriction bc of tradition. When you go cheer for your favorite sports team you dont wear their jersey in a different color.

Traditions are not absolutes... hence it isn't a justification for restrictions.

If you want a certain color just make sure your that alignment. How is that hard? Without these restriction aligment would not matter. That is BioWares fault. If the choices had any real consequeces or depth, I wouldnt have a problem with no restriction on color. But thats not the situation.

This makes absolutely no sense. So I want to play my Jedi lightsided, but my favorite color is red. Everything in Lore, and Lucasfilm directly, says that there is no problem with me using a red crystal. However, you're saying I should have to play evil to use it. And you're saying that that "doesn't have any real consequences"?!

Maybe if you ignore the story completely and only care about stats, it wouldn't matter. And even then, it also matters for equipment, so you're wrong on the statistical front as well.

ps: i also see your pro add ons and macros, so we will never agree.

One has nothing to do with the other. But your assertion that it does shows that you'll never be able to hold a reasonable debate on the subject.

Edited by Kashaan

Traditions are not absolutes... hence it isn't a justification for restrictions.

This makes absolutely no sense. So I want to play my Jedi lightsided, but my favorite color is red. Everything in Lore, and Lucasfilm directly, says that there is no problem with me using a red crystal. However, you're saying I should have to play evil to use it. And you're saying that that "doesn't have any real consequences"?!

Maybe if you ignore the story completely and only care about stats, it wouldn't matter. And even then, it also matters for equipment, so you're wrong on the statistical front as well.

One has nothing to do with the other. But your assertion that it does shows that you'll never be able to hold a reasonable debate on the subject.

50 toon is darkside and 23 toon is lightside. I have not seen any real difference. You still complete the mission and get your xp and cut scene. The cut scene maybe a little different but its the same result at the end of the day. The consequences out side of color crystals is that u get more money usually for darkside choices. Companions are effect to i guess but can just escape out of it and try the convo again.

So I ask u, have u personally seen an actual change in the story or the world around u for your darkside/lightside choices outside of color crystals/gear?

Edited by Toweleeeie

50 toon is darkside and 23 toon is lightside. I have not seen any real difference. You still complete the mission and get your xp and cut scene. The cut scene maybe a little different but its the same result at the end of the day. The consequences out side of color crystals is that u get more money usually for darkside choices. Companions are effect to i guess but can just escape out of it and try the convo again.

So I ask u, have u personally seen an actual change in the story or the world around u for your darkside/lightside choices outside of color crystals/gear?

O.o *sigh*

Yeah... when I choose lightside options, my character gives nice responses, and the NPC (generally) lives.

When I choose darkside, my character acts either insane or like a complete *******, and the NPC often dies.

I'm sorry that you don't care about what actually happens during a cutscene. For many of us, this game is an MMORPG. We shouldn't be forced to make out-of-character choices due to a mechanic that doesn't even have a semblance of justification.

O.o *sigh*

Yeah... when I choose lightside options, my character gives nice responses, and the NPC (generally) lives.

When I choose darkside, my character acts either insane or like a complete *******, and the NPC often dies.

I'm sorry that you don't care about what actually happens during a cutscene. For many of us, this game is an MMORPG. We shouldn't be forced to make out-of-character choices due to a mechanic that doesn't even have a semblance of justification.

I watch every cut scene and i care about my choices. Thats why im lvl 50 without darkside 5 yet. I choose lightside sometimes. I actually RP to some extent. Thats why I like these restrictions. A lightside Jedi should never use red, it would ruin my immersion if they did. Im sorry u cant play BioWare's game like you want to, but obviously they agree with me.

So go darkside and get your red or dont and keep crying.

A lightside Jedi should never use red, it would ruin my immersion if they did.

There is no justification for this statement. All Lore (which immersion is based on) says that any force user can use any crystal they want.

You have no argument.