The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Current State of Mitigation in PvP.

chainsawsamurai

The game currently exists in a climate where you can dodge a Lightsaber but not a knife from an Operative or a Rocket Punch. Is one less "melee" than the other? No. That's why I wrote things the way I did.

The mechanics currently allow you to Shield a high velocity Sniper round, but not flying pebbles. Is one less "ranged" than the other? No.

/thread.

Support this issue being looked into, and in the very very least, PvP Tank gear either be removed or re-itemized.

Edited by Jurisnoctis

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you did your entire chart for the sake of completeness, but I figured I'd bring up that I don't think there is a single Melee or Ranged attack that is classified as either Internal or Elemental.

I'll throw that summary up in the FAQ post I reserved.

So, in essence, other than the small amount of mitigation provided by buffs there is NO mitigation for Elemental or Internal damage for any class in the game, even tanks?

This is highly problematic.

So, in essence, other than the small amount of mitigation provided by buffs there is NO mitigation for Elemental or Internal damage for any class in the game, even tanks?

This is highly problematic.

I'm not sure it's THAT problematic. Tanks historically don't have resistance to magic or bleed damage. It's not necessarily game-breaking by itself.

That's not to say that it couldn't be a problem. If for example, most bosses did a majority of their damage through those types of attacks, it would mean that tanks were no better at taking damage than anyone else. But as far as I know, that's not the case. Your typical mob uses simple attacks most of the time, which are aviodable and subject to mitigation from both armor and shields. Certain powerful attacks may bypass defenses, but that is also common for PvE encounter design.

I'm not sure it's THAT problematic. Tanks historically don't have resistance to magic or bleed damage. It's not necessarily game-breaking by itself.

That's not to say that it couldn't be a problem. If for example, most bosses did a majority of their damage through those types of attacks, it would mean that tanks were no better at taking damage than anyone else. But as far as I know, that's not the case. Your typical mob uses simple attacks most of the time, which are aviodable and subject to mitigation from both armor and shields. Certain powerful attacks may bypass defenses, but that is also common for PvE encounter design.

Actually...thinking about it more, you are quite right. I over-reacted a bit there :)

Now I understand why those Elite robot mobs aboard the Aurora that had that dual lazer attack hurt so bad. But it's also clear that such attack types, when they occur in PvE, seem to be interuptable.

So I guess, gearing for *most* attacks in PvE. Good playing, paying attention, for the rest and we are just fine.

So this poses the question is Jet Charge WORTH going into the tanking tree? and if it is, what talents do we need to change to maximize damage and mitigate "tanking" per say.

also, quickquestion: as a level 20 Powertech does this affect what armour i choose? and based on this, should i start in the tank tree and once i get jet charge, switch? or start speccing Pyrotech now..?

Edited by DXI-Edge

No dev attention that I've seen yet. I'm still doing some testing here and there, but I've largely got the system resolved and the thread does a good enough job of illustrating it.

I am trying to avoid going to the PTR to do more testing there, it seems like I've spent more time testing lately than actually playing the game.

Oh well, sick of Huttball and I'm tired of getting PvP Relics again and again anyway.

When I look at our tank tree I see shield chance everywhere. We get 12 % shield chance and 6 % absorption. Additionally we can vent 8 heat an reset our rocket punch cooldown on a shield proc.

And only 2 ACs use (main) attacks that can trigger a shield? Am I understanding that correctly?

When I look at our tank tree I see shield chance everywhere. We get 12 % shield chance and 6 % absorption. Additionally we can vent 8 heat an reset our rocket punch cooldown on a shield proc.

And only 2 ACs use (main) attacks that can trigger a shield? Am I understanding that correctly?

There isn't a single class in the game that cannot spec into a tree which focuses on, and does a majority of their damage with, either Force or Tech attacks. Lethality for Snipers (PvP viable, but I don't think very popular) and Rage for Marauders and Juggernauts (extremely popular and currently the most popular PvP spec).

For the record, going all the way down Shieldtech invests a whopping 10 points in Shield related skills.