The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Crew Skills And Why?

ValidanEthes

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for opinions towards which Crew Skills might benefit me mostly. I don't use multiple characters, I am focused on my Vanguard and him only. Currently I am using Cybertech,Scav,and Underworld Trading. While making my own mods has been useful slightly, I seem to be more solo in my PVE experiences. Haven't done many if any heroics or flashpoints. With that aside, I am looking to do what I can to better myself and wanted opinions from others as far as Cybertech, Armortech, or Arms.... in general which and why is all I ask.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

If you are mostly playing solo as a tank, Biochem (+Bioanalisys, +Diplomacy) would be probably best choice, as it gives you best survivability due to bigger medpacs and buffs.

For leveling process you will find Armormech and Armstech pretty decent as you will be able to gear up yourself and companions, but on max level those skills seem worthless at the moment, as max level rewards are better than crafted items.

As far as wearable gear goes during leveling, Cybertech is probably better than Arms or Armor: Cyber can make mods, enhancements, and armoring which means that once you have orange gear you can make everything you need except weapon barrels.

However, if you are not planning to play the merchant crafter game, leveling up your crafting skills and missioning for blue/purple materials will cost you more than just buying better gear would. And, at 50, wearable crafted gear is inferior to endgame gear. So unless you're really attached to the idea of making your own stuff, the best crafting options are as follows:

1) Skip it for a sucker game, take Slicing and 2 other Gathering skills, and sell mats for cash

2) Stick with Cybertech in order to get the reusable grenades

3) Switch to Biochem for stims and medpacks, including reusables.

I'm armormech and found the crafted gear was better at times than drops during the leveling process. You can also gear your main companion. At L50 the Rakata belt and bracers can be quickly made with some crafting mat drops in the first couple of ops runs. These will last a long time. There are recipe drops in the ops. Some are not too hot but I got a nice helmet recipe a few days ago. I'm sure there will be better ones as time goes on.

I'm slowly leveling an alt for biochem because I eat the stims like candy.

biochem + bioanalysis + slicing. once you are 50 or have enough money drop slicing for diplomacy. you can till make lots of $ from slicing using abundant/bountiful/rich lockbox missions, and especially from all the slicing resource nodes.

What he said.

I went the above route, and slicing combined with Warzone play gave me more than enough commendations/credits to buy armor through commendation vendors or on the global trade network that exceeded anything I would have been able to make up to LvL20on my own...

biochem + bioanalysis + slicing. once you are 50 or have enough money drop slicing for diplomacy. you can till make lots of $ from slicing using abundant/bountiful/rich lockbox missions, and especially from all the slicing resource nodes.

I modified this to Bioanalysis+Diplomacy+Slicing. As I leveled I gathered all the resource nodes I could find (dropping them into the cargo hold), leveled Diplomacy on gift missions and boosted my companions' affection, and used slicing missions to fund it and the other leveling expenses. When I hit 50 I dropped slicing and picked up Biochem and found that I had all the mats I needed to level it to 400 in my hold (though I had to fudge some things here and there to make up for shortfalls in specific mats). The process of getting Biochem up to 400 took about 4 hours, and then I was ready to start making blue and purple items. This does mean I didn't have Biochem while leveling up, but I obsessively do all the sidequests, so I was overleveled all the time anyway and didn't have any problems.

Armortech-Scavange-Underworld

Because I want to make sure I look good ;) . In addition, since every companion used heavy armor-aim, It's a peace of cake to keep them up to date as I pass my old gear down the line.

Additionally, I can use UWT to get spare metal to pass on to my Cybertech/Slicer, and I can GTN the cloth.

I started with armormech/scavage/underworld but as i got more orange gear I found the gear i was making less and less appealing plus i was getting frustrated with the RE process (REDOUBT AGAIN???) so I dropped armormech and picked up cybertech.

It's worked out much better, I keep my orange gear for me and my companion up to date along with our ear slot. Plus my ship is top notch and I got a sweet ride. And once I get to 50 I'll gear out my 2 droids even though I never use them.

Oh, and it's also useful for keeping my Jedi shadow geared where armormech would have been completely useless.