Why are companions so slow to start attacking

kuliksco

Why can't they walk around with their weapons unsheathed?

I'm a bounty hunter using Skadge at the moment (melee tank) and I usually have the mob practically dead before he even enters combat.

I even use the hotkeys to make him attack before I do, but he has to think about it for a minute then pulls out his weapon.

It's even worse when I tell him to switch targets. If he is close to them he step back like 10m just so he can dash into combat again even though he gets no bonus for doing so.

What's even more frustrating is that sometimes he sheathes his weapon in the middle of combat. Why do you do this?

One more thing is when I do an ability with no target like Death from Above (EDIT) he doesn't even start attacking until I hit something with a single target attack, which is why I have gotten so used to hotkeying my pet to attack every single fight. Macros would be great for this as I can have him automatically start attacking when I hit tracer missile with one hotkey.

Another bug I noticed is that the pet bar doesn't always go to the left hotbar like I have set in the preferences. In certain story missions it always defaults to the bottom and then later reverts back to its correct location.

Edited by kuliksco

It seems to me that some companions wait till I get hit. When I direct them to attack, it usually happens right away for me. Remember any delay might be due to them firing up some abilities that takes 1-3 seconds to activate. So if you are killing their target fast, then it keeps switching targets and trying to activate that ability.

It's not a huge delay, only about 2-3 seconds but when I'm grinding out 50 mobs real quick it's frustrating. I do pay attention to the pet bar and watch his casting bar and in this case the majority of the problem is him actually unsheathing his weapon and the delay before he start running toward the mob. Edited by kuliksco

I always use CTRL+1 to order my companion to attack before me (I use them mostly for tanking so its kind of important).

But it would be nice if they also unsheathed their weapons when I press Z like me.

I always do this too, but it should still be instantaneous. They should always have their weapons unsheathed when that little eye in the middle of the screen pops up showing there are hostiles nearby or least unsheathe while running towards the mob.

Even if they are already heading to attack a mob and I hotkey pet attack on the same mob, the pet will stop for a second like he has to readjust.

Edited by kuliksco

yes noticed the delay, but what annoys me MORE, is that you cannot switch off companion AOE attacks off all the time. Everytime you do so and get back on your speeder or to a diferent zone they go back on again!. Fix that first please.

It is not so much that they don't attack if you use an AE. It is that they don't attack if you use an ability that has no target.

Troopers and BH use so many abilities that target the ground that the poor companions have no idea what to do. I know I can often kill an entire group before my companion starts doing anything. They will start attacking after you take some damage, or after you select an enemy and use an attack against them.

I often tell my companion to attack as I start my ground pounding AE attacks.

With Khem, he takes his sweet time unsheathing his sword and casually walking up to the guy he's about to face murder, but Andronikus is a different story. And by different, I mean, if you mess up and use the medical probe, you better hope you don't have Andy out, he doesn't even wait to unstealth, he Leroys everytime.