Artifice worth it?

Maxiim

First of all, the way these forums are set up is awful. Bioware puts ALL Crew skills into ONE forum? AND no search mechanic?

Anyways... I leveled up to 50 with Archeology, Treasure Hunting, and Slicing. I'm considering dropping slicing for Artifice, but I've seen a few posts complaining about it.

I guess some of the best schematics (that are also hard to obtain) are out classes by Belsavis and Illum dailies, which you can purchase the same or higher quality hilts and such from.

Is this true? And if so, is there ANY benefit to having Artifice? Or am I about to become a Biochem?

I'm having a very hard time selling offhand items and hilts. I price them lower than what the recommended price is- and they still don't sell. There's too much clutter on the AH imo -- there needs to be some way to distinguish the crafted items so they stand out. even just making items with slots easier to identify might help. It's abysmal as it is (other than crystals and enhancements which sell ok..)

The same blue hilts an artificer can make can be bought at commendation vendors for 7 tokens, the enhancements artificers make can be bought for 2 tokens. And the ones bought with tokens are tradable, so they can be sold on the GTN right next to yours. Edited by Lady_Alyria

I only sell blues and purples. I still have no luck with hilts -- and only very rarely can sell an offhand item. It's abysmal. The problem is multi-factorial. One is being able to buy similar items with commendations -- the other is, crafted items get lost in the sea of other items. I really hope they tweak this....

I think the problem with most of the crafting skills is that it's tough to compete with commendation gear. Armoring, enhancements, barrels, mods, hilts and moddable equipment are all readily available to anyone who is questing (which is everyone) so why bother buying them from another player? The only thing artifice is really good for is color crystals since it appears to be the only place to get knew ones (at least at my level, 31). The same goes with the other crafting skills, I think. If you want to make money, you have to craft the items that can't be bought at a commendation vendor (e.g. crystals, ear pieces, implants, reusable med pacs, grenades, etc).

On a side note, I think BioWare did the crafting community a bit of a disservice by not bracketing PvP. I started crafting thinking I could RE to get purple recipes for level 19 items. That would put me in a position to sell to twinks. Since PvP is handicapped instead of bracketed, no one is making twinks. :(

Edited by Reymundo

I think the problem with most of the crafting skills is that it's tough to compete with commendation gear. Armoring, enhancements, barrels, mods, hilts and moddable equipment are all readily available to anyone who is questing (which is everyone) so why bother buying them from another player? The only thing artifice is really good for is color crystals since it appears to be the only place to get knew ones (at least at my level, 31). The same goes with the other crafting skills, I think. If you want to make money, you have to craft the items that can't be bought at a commendation vendor (e.g. crystals, ear pieces, implants, reusable med pacs, grenades, etc).

On a side note, I think BioWare did the crafting community a bit of a disservice by not bracketing PvP. I started crafting thinking I could RE to get purple recipes for level 19 items. That would put me in a position to sell to twinks. Since PvP is handicapped instead of bracketed, no one is making twinks. :(

I too -- had hoped to RP around a crafter who catered to the PvP community (as I did in SWG). They are a discriminating community and there's some great RP to be had with this scenario. Hopefully they will bracket at some point - there does seem to be a large voice for it.

be the first person with the magenta gem recipe and then complain about income.

IF the economy was stable enough. Everyone always laughs at the fact that you want more than 100K for the gem, when the mats cost almost 200k, not to mention the time farming the raw crystal.