Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

It's not relevant because it takes time/activity to do that. You can't simultaneously earn money from 7 accounts at the same time and just collect periodically. I would say the same of any mission skill that made it possible to vendor mats/items at a profit barring crit rolls.

It's absolutely relevant. That's really no different from, say, scavenging or bioanalysis.

Slicing is a gathering skill, not a mission skill. The missions are there to help grind it out and maybe get lucky on a few rolls, just like can be done with bio or scav missions.

Edited by marshalleck

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This simply is not true. Every mission has a chance to lose money. I'm not talking about losing money in the long run. I'm talking about individual missions. Having any mission return you less credits than you put in is stupid and just arbitrarily kills the profit per minute. Abundants/Moderates/Bountifuls of all levels have a chance to return you negative credits. This is the worst and is the reason why slicing is no longer economically feasible.

The goal is to get something for time & money invested. The opportunity cost of having slicing vs another mission running and not having your companion for questing. Right now slicing is a bad buy.

I underlined is where you are 100% wrong.

I am curious though how much you think would need to be earned in a day for it to be economically feasible.

It's absolutely relevant. That's really no different from, say, scavenging or bioanalysis.

Slicing is a gathering skill, not a mission skill. The missions are there to help grind it out and maybe get lucky on a few rolls, just like can be done with bio or scav missions.

The slicing nodes respawn slower than other gathering skills, you can't gather corpses like others, and if you're in a group you're fighting over the lockboxes. And once again, those other gathering skills can run missions which do not return a loss. You still gain a tangible asset.

You can simultaneously send companions out from 8 accounts to mission bio mats and then come back and collect a profit? How?

Sigh. The point is that runnign missions helps grind out the skill and maybe get a few lucky rewards, Bioware obviously don't want it to be a "give me credits" button.

I underlined is where you are 100% wrong.

I am curious though how much you think would need to be earned in a day for it to be economically feasible.

It should be closer to 200 credits per minute (this is with 3 companions) at least. The 70k I made in 60 hours of slicing covers 3 skill ups at my level. 60 hours of mission time for 3 skill ups! It would take 300 mission hours to afford speeder bike training 3. Crazy.

The slicing nodes respawn slower than other gathering skills, you can't gather corpses like others, and if you're in a group you're fighting over the lockboxes. And once again, those other gathering skills can run missions which do not return a loss. You still gain a tangible asset.

Sounds like you may have some legitimate gripes. Too bad everyone keeps focusing on the missions...maybe if more people made noise about these items you've presented, slicers' current circumstances might change.

Or you could just try your luck with harping on the forums about trying to make Bioware undo a change they already made. Good luck with that. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by marshalleck

Some of those tangible assets can be sold for less than the cost of the mission so other gathering skills also have a chance to lose money.

Whether is a profit/lose depends on the crew skill and supply/demand of each server.

Some of those tangible assets can be sold for less than the cost of the mission so other gathering skills also have a chance to lose money.

Whether is a profit/lose depends on the crew skill and supply/demand of each server.

If you chose to sell. If you have the appropriate crafting you can simply turn the materials into other profitable goods. I can't turn -658 credits (my high so far on the loss side) into anything. Except more forum posts about why slicing is dumb now.

It should be closer to 200 credits per minute (this is with 3 companions) at least. The 70k I made in 60 hours of slicing covers 3 skill ups at my level. 60 hours of mission time for 3 skill ups! It would take 300 mission hours to afford speeder bike training 3. Crazy.

Wait, you made 70K in 60 hours with 3 companions going out???

You have no idea what you are doing.

Indeed. 1-3 green biochem compounds which are easily harvested off a corpse don't turn much profit trying to sell to another player.

Edited by marshalleck

Sounds like you may have some legitimate gripes. Too bad everyone keeps focusing on the missions...maybe if more people made noise about these items you've presented, slicers' current circumstances might change.

Or you could just try your luck with harping on the forums about trying to make Bioware undo a change they already made. Good luck with that. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I would be fine with a complete overhaul of the skill as long as it was profitable to keep. I have not even gotten into the augment side of things. Those things make no money and theres virtually no gear which has augment slots. What were they thinking there?

Wait, you made 70K in 60 hours with 3 companions going out???

You have no idea what you are doing.

Thats 60 mission hours. Total real time is 20 hours. I ran rich tier 5-3, bountiful tier 4, abundant tier 6-4. Running rich tier 5 and other tier 6 missions is required if you want to gain level 340 mission drops. Please, tell me your winning strategy for slicing and I will track it for a day and see where it comes out.

This simply is not true. Every mission has a chance to lose money. I'm not talking about losing money in the long run. I'm talking about individual missions. Having any mission return you less credits than you put in is stupid and just arbitrarily kills the profit per minute. Abundants/Moderates/Bountifuls of all levels have a chance to return you negative credits. This is the worst and is the reason why slicing is no longer economically feasible.

The goal is to get something for time & money invested. The opportunity cost of having slicing vs another mission running and not having your companion for questing. Right now slicing is a bad buy.

And every gathering mission has a chance to return you mats worth less on the market then the credits you put in so what is the difference?

Thats 60 mission hours. Total real time is 20 hours. I ran rich tier 5-3, bountiful tier 4, abundant tier 6-4. Running rich tier 5 and other tier 6 missions is required if you want to gain level 340 mission drops. Please, tell me your winning strategy for slicing and I will track it for a day and see where it comes out.

In 20 hours - 60K is decent just for credits returns with 3 companions but it can't include any income from schematic/mission sales.

If you run the right missions you should average 900-1500 per companion per hour and get sales on top of that for the schematic/missions which could easily 2x or 3x your income.

Tonight I will run 4-5 companions while I am running level 50 dailies. I run them using this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArCSGLnwZLADdGxYdlhEejBFclBjR3l1N29OaW1kYUE&output=html

I never run any mission with less than 15 in the creds per minute column. I never run level 6 missions. I send out on missions from 41-48 then lower. So if 3 missions with 15+ cpm, are available, I send my first 3 on those.

During that time, I will usually get 1-3 to 300-340 UT, Arch or TH missions that I will sell for another 15k to 25k each.

Edited by Drewser

And every gathering mission has a chance to return you mats worth less on the market then the credits you put in so what is the difference?

And every gathering missions WILL (theres not a chance) return mats you can use to craft. Returning negative credits cannot be used for anything.

But if they succeed you are guaranteed to gain something. Slicing missions can fail. But if it succeeds its the only one with a chance to return nothing.

But you are not garantueed to get more then you put in. What is the difference of putting in 1000 credits and get out 800 which you can use to buy mats or put in 1000 and get 800 worth of mats? Except for the fact that the credits are usefull for a lot more then 1-3 poorly designed crafting skills?

But you are not garantueed to get more then you put in. What is the difference of putting in 1000 credits and get out 800 which you can use to buy mats or put in 1000 and get 800 worth of mats? Except for the fact that the credits are usefull for a lot more then 1-3 poorly designed crafting skills?

Mats are not guaranteed to be listed, nor listed for the price you're talking about (because of individual server AH economy), requires additional travel to go to the GTN and purchase, and buying materials instead of running missions for them does not skill you up.

You can skill up a gathering mission while using the materials yourself to create items to sell. And in the long run your gathering missions will return more valuable materials.

Mats are not guaranteed to be listed, nor listed for the price you're talking about (because of individual server AH economy), requires additional travel to go to the GTN and purchase, and buying materials instead of running missions for them does not skill you up.

You can skill up a gathering mission while using the materials yourself to create items to sell. And in the long run your gathering missions will return more valuable materials.

And mats are not garantueed to sell if you list them, with mats you are limited to rather underwhelming crafting skills most of the time where credits allow for a much wider choice of purpose.

To actually make money on crafting skill you'll easily have to put in 10 times more effort to determine the profitable items and after that you need to spend mats worth thousands of credits to actually reverse engineer untill you get the right combination and by the time crafting profession are breaking even considering the initial investment we will be quite a few months further.

Prenerf slicing allowed a live in luxury for clicking a few buttons something no other activity in game does and in all fairness something no activity in game should do.

How many times does it need to be repeated? Slicing is a GATHERING profession. The profit is NOT from the missions, its from GATHERING LOCKBOXES. People reporting big profits are the ones who are actually gathering lockboxes, not simply sending minions off on missions.

Prenerf slicing allowed a live in luxury for clicking a few buttons something no other activity in game does and in all fairness something no activity in game should do.

Fundamental disagreement in philosophy here. You still had to put in the time to run the missions/lose companions/not do something else with them. It isn't just 'push a few buttons get money'. There is still a wait, mission cycle time, etc. If people want to sit around for 20 hours grinding slicing missions to become rich they should be able to. Those people will just find something else to exploit anyways. For the normal people it was running slicing missions while *playing the game*. I liked it because I hate crafting and AH baroning. I liked the idea of something to gain extra money(which in the long run was not even alot?) without resorting to the former. Without strong low level income no one spends any money in the early going. Prices plummet on low level purples/gear/mats/etc. Why spend money on a purple when you will just out level it soon anyways?

How many times does it need to be repeated? Slicing is a GATHERING profession. The profit is NOT from the missions, its from GATHERING LOCKBOXES. People reporting big profits are the ones who are actually gathering lockboxes, not simply sending minions off on missions.

There are problems with it as a gathering mission. Node respawn time, lower level pvp zones not having nodes (weren't they supposed to have more resource nodes due to the risk? Jundland is empty), bugged nodes, income being cut if grouped, inability to slice fallen enemies (most gathering skills gain bonus nodes simply by killing enemies).

It doesn't need to be repeated, because this point is irrelevant. Other gathering skills always return something you can use, even if it's not profitable. Slicing is different than other gathering skills, and the crew missions are literally worth nothing or just a waste. People keep saying gathering crew missions shouldn't be profitable, but this is just an excuse to keep slicing as a bad skill by people who don't like it. Slicing is kind of a hybrid between gathering and mission skills. There needs to be some benefit to using the crew missions, and right now they are just a waste of time.