The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Back in my day...

skrill

I never got far in EQ when it launched. My guy fell into some kind of pit and died, and I couldn't get to him to retrieve the useless crap I considered essential. After wandering around confused for awhile, I logged off, never to log in again.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in my day...

- We didnt have raid groups. We rangled 100+ people and made groups of 6 to try and kill one world boss. None of this 8-man easy mode content. You had to actually have a sizeable group to get things done.

- Raid buffs took 30 minutes and you liked it. There was no massive raid group. Everyone just made their small groups and took orders.

- We didnt have these instances...if you wanted to kill something you had to camp its spawn and RACE against everyone else to get it. If you didnt get it you had to wait another 7 days just to get a chance to take it down.

- If you had a weapon that had a "The" in it, it was legitmately epic. There was MAYBE two or three on the server and it was drooled over.

- Purple loot was actually epic. None of these quest turn ins, full epic gear by soloing content bull*****. Being decked head to toe in purple actually meant something.

- Orange loot was MAYBE one or two per server.

- You couldn't solo your way 1-50. You HAD to group because mobs were too mean to kill by yourself. It built a genuine connection across the server and people really got to know eachother.

- Getting access to an endgame zone took WORK. Months and months of work to even get INSIDE.

THATS THE WAY IT WAS AND WE LOVED IT

(Feel free to add your own)

I agree. I played WoW before any of the expansions and it was genuinly difficult. It was also a million times better than SWTOR (which I am loving, btw) and I'd go back to it in a flash if it hadn't been ruined.

Also EVE Online. Now you can go in and you get tutorials, ships, mods, money, everything. In the past you just got dropped in to space with a UI and nothing more.

I honestly believe this way was better. When I finished all the quests in a province in WoW, including the instance that was there then I actually felt like I had achieved something. The quests were difficult, the instance was difficult and I really had to put in the effort to get to where I was. When I finish an area in SWTOR (which, again, I do love) I don't feel any achievement whatsoever. I've just smashed my way through an entire planet without breaking a sweat and now I'm going to smash the next one up too.

Interesting since I have worked my whole time playing MMOs and even got a degree/w job while being able to stay top of my favorite MMOs. Some of us want a challenge when gaming not wasted time in easy mode.

wasted time in hard mode is still wasted time.

that's all any of us are doing here.

Back in my day,

When we died we didn't conveniently respawn 10ft from our area of death. We returned to a spirit healer/master. Naked and without gold or gear. You hoped that you put important stuff in your bank. That gear was on said body at your location of death. If there was no rez available, you had to run. And you had to run and coach through numerous zones. And if you died in gear, what makes you think you aren't going to die naked. And when you died naked.... /wrist.... your old geared corpse was gone. Goodbye items. Oh and on certain games.... you lost experience on death.

Back in my day,

Gaining 1 notch of experience, where it would take 5 to level you, towards the higher levels could take weeks of grinding mobs continuously. Don't get me started on Class Mastery points.

The OP is correct on some points but it fails when comparing with WoW. The really old school mmos were so hardcore that the average WoW player wouldn't stand a chance. Then again they didn't even know about mmos back in those days so it was a win-win.

Then again i can't even imagine how games like UO/AC and older ones before that was. First mmo i played was daoc back in late 2000 when it launched. But yeah, no game has ever felt that epic in scale. It just feels everything is getting smaller and smaller...

Edited by hulduet

Look Venture and my Atari were my friend along with the BBS boards and bad bad compuserve modem service... 8k owned.

NOT TO MENTION that we typed things...

typing roll/ only to see "Isk hits you for 8 points of damage".... LOL in a text form MMO.. haha Id call it a SMO...

EQ was cool though... UO started it for me, then it was a streak...

UO, IMNSHO, was THE quintessential MMO. I mean, it was such a heady venture that in back in development and I think in beta, it was a true virtual 'ecology'. Dragons, if not feasting on players entering their caves and being silly enough to fight them, would get hungry and wander out into the wilderness and start slaughtering the deer etc that players were trying to get skins off of. The bears would be hungry then too. At launch the spawns got overhunted and ran out so I think Origin had to give up on that dea and just turn on spawners full-time.

The guy that did all of that and the player housing etc for UO - Raph Koster - shows up again in SWG where you see the TOTAL player economy in that, I don't think outside of mission or kill drops, NPC's sold any gear to you at all. The best and really only stuff was crafted by other players with components they harvested themselves from the planets.

Back in my day,

When we died we didn't conveniently respawn 10ft from our area of death. We returned to a spirit healer/master. Naked and without gold or gear. You hoped that you put important stuff in your bank. That gear was on said body at your location of death. If there was no rez available, you had to run. And you had to run and coach through numerous zones. And if you died in gear, what makes you think you aren't going to die naked. And when you died naked.... /wrist.... your old geared corpse was gone. Goodbye items. Oh and on certain games.... you lost experience on death.

Back in my day,

Gaining 1 notch of experience, where it would take 5 to level you, towards the higher levels could take weeks of grinding mobs continuously. Don't get me started on Class Mastery points.

In regards to death it sounds like Dark Souls, which everyone says is too hard for them to enjoy. I enjoyed Dark Souls, but wouldn't enjoy the DS experience in an MMO setting.

well that OP sounds really annoying and unappealing. I don't want mega-easy mode or a grindfest, but I also don't want to run into roadblocks every other quest either. I play games to have fun, not as a job.

Prepared for imminent incineration by veterans.

If you enjoy SWTOR, you do "want" mega-easy mode. Today's games ARE mega-easy mode. I'm not saying I dislike SWTOR - I enjoy it. I'm just saying that playing it requires very little skill unless you're PVP'ing. My 4 year old nephew could level up to 50 in SWTOR quite easily.

Games in general were a lot harder in some regards than today. But you could only do so much with graphics alone so you had to make the games really hard to complete to even it out.

These days you have arrows, messages and what not appearing on the screen *telling* you what to do. I guess it's only a matter of time before you have the game play it for you.

I never got far in EQ when it launched. My guy fell into some kind of pit and died, and I couldn't get to him to retrieve the useless crap I considered essential. After wandering around confused for awhile, I logged off, never to log in again.

Erudian newbie zone for the lawls. This!

Back in my day,

Caves weren't lit, you needed a torch.

Back in my day, we didn't have in-game maps.. you actually watched where you were going and learned to navigate areas.. and then took newbies on tours to show them how to get around.

Later on they started putting the maps online so we would print out all the maps and have them sitting next to us.. you still needed your navigational /loc skills though!

In regards to death it sounds like Dark Souls, which everyone says is too hard for them to enjoy. I enjoyed Dark Souls, but wouldn't enjoy the DS experience in an MMO setting.

No. It made Dark Souls look like a casual adventure game. Games like EQ were for masochists. They were more about punishment than reward.

The OP is correct on some points but it fails when comparing with WoW. The really old school mmos were so hardcore that the average WoW player wouldn't stand a chance. Then again they didn't even know about mmos back in those days so it was a win-win.

Then again i can't even imagine how games like UO/AC and older ones before that was. First mmo i played was daoc back in late 2000 when it launched. But yeah, no game has ever felt that epic in scale. It just feels everything is getting smaller and smaller...

UO was insane at launch. It was open world, full-PvP. :D The servers couldn't stay up long enough to do more than a couple saves which they actually announced in the beginning "The world is saving..." Because of the crush of people and the overload of item duping you could and would be stolen from in town while someone with an earthquake spell would lag crash and kill any and everyone on the screen, 1-hit.

My first night logging in after sitting through an hour of different individual buttons loading on the reg page so I could register, I log in and some half-naked guy is running around the Britain bank yelling "ALL MUST DIE". I freaked out and tried to run but the lag was crazy - then the server crashed. Later I logged back in and somehow managed to get outside of town and headed down a road when I run into some guy doing *hic* and wearing a deer mask. He and his buddies stopped me in the road and demanded tribute or they would kill me, which of course they did anyway and looted me dry, then carved up my corpse and spread the pieces around the road as a warning for others...

It was wildwest kind of stuff I haven't seen in a MMO since.

I'm only 22. But I started playing EQ when I was 10. People ask how I became so patient. Broken keyboards, raging, etc... I was a frustrated child I am sure...

Mike Tyson's Punchout

Ninja Gaiden

Ruby Weapon

EverQuest

I could go on, but I would probably just surface up some deeply rooted emotions and start punching walls.

Actually No.. It made you make friends. Silly thing I know.

You have to admit quest updates depending on a mob that only popped once a week or more is pretty hard core.

But yeah, it helped to have a bunch of friends with you when and if it did eventually pop! :D

I remember guilds having our 'Lookout' characters stand in line to take turns claiming world bosses. And then when it popped... getting a hold of everybody? OMG.... there was no Vent. People would call your house-number you had listed on a guild form to tell you. And all instructions for raid were generally communicated through text.

Back in my day, having High Resolution textures meant that your DM got an A in art.

Back in my day, death was permanant (ever seen a DM rip your character sheet to shreds?).

Back in my day, we had to roll our own dice.

LOL I was one of those DMs ripping up character sheets Circa 1984 !!!