The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

provide proof that SWTOR is removing GPU's safety features.

If it overheats the system and causes shutdown because of the way the heat can rapidly build up since this gimp patch, then it doesn't need to shut down the safety features. It could still cause damage because of the speed of the heat buildup.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we're just getting pedantic now. But in the spirit of it...

This came is indeed causing my GPU to become hotter than necessary and wanted.

Well, this is the source of my confusion and frustration. Aside from GPU temperatures and noise, the game itself seems to run perfectly fine, so I can't understand why this is happening.

Then again, Furmark "runs fine" too.

I don't think he claimed that it was, just that it is his concern. And it's not an invalid concern.

okay, then your use of overheat is correct. However, i will tell you that if you are talking computer components the general consensus is usually that overheating means outside operational perimeters. Too avoid confusion i will just refer to it as outside operational perimeters from now on.

I've noticed Star Wars pump out a lot of heat on my computer as well - which it really shouldn't as I put it together last summer. Normally my computer idles at 32c; if I'm playing a reasonably new game like TF2 it hits low to mid 40s depending on duration and more recent releases such as MW3 hit high 40s and sometimes low 50s if enough time elapses.

Star Wars on the other hand always hits low 50s (usually 53c) the moment I start playing it. I find this in itself odd because every other game I have (and I'm a bit obsessive over heating because I keep my motherboards temperature program on my secnond monitor whenever I'm gaming) gradually climbs up to operating temperatures and then slowly rises depending on duration. Whereas, as I said, Star Wars shoots straight to 53c and stays there.

If it overheats the system and causes shutdown because of the way the heat can rapidly build up since this gimp patch, then it doesn't need to shut down the safety features. It could still cause damage because of the speed of the heat buildup.

SWTOR can only run your PC to 100 percent, therefore it is not the issue for operating outside temperature perimeters.

"And this is exactly what what SWTOR is currently doing"

Stress testing. Exactly what I (I'm a *she not a he btw) said :p

Yes - SWTOR is stress testing the computer same as Furmark stress tests computers.

And Furmark voids Nvidia warranties.

And nobody would run Furmark every day for hours on end over several years like they do a game.

Edited by lollie

Yes - stress testing the computer.

Exactly what I (I'm a *she not a he btw) said :p

The nvidia quote was commenting on the removal of fail safe features on their GPUs, not the fact that the cards were operating at 100 percent. It was causing them to operate at over 100 percent by disabling their fail safes.

"And this is exactly what what SWTOR is currently doing"

That could have easily been referring to "stress the GPU by maximizing power draw well beyond any real world application or game", which in our cases it does seem to be doing.

Why not? There is nothing wrong with operating a computer at 100 percent load. it is designed to do that.

Would you run Furmark on your PC for hours a day unless there was a seriously good reason? I don't think anybody who knows much about computers would, there's a reason Furmark is considered a diagnostic tool and not intended for people who don't know what they're doing with it.

The nvidia quote was commenting on the removal of fail safe features on their GPUs, not the fact that the cards were operating at 100 percent. It was causing them to operate at over 100 percent by disabling their fail safes.

Actually, I'm afraid not. It was warning that Furmark might stress the GPU to the point of interfering with the fail safes, Fermi-based GPUs are designed to manage power draw in the case of abnormal behaviour. It's a driver-level option, no less.

Edited by PJEBarlow

That could have easily been referring to "stress the GPU by maximizing power draw well beyond any real world application or game", which in our cases it does seem to be doing.

Would you run Furmark on your PC for hours a day unless there was a seriously good reason? I don't think anybody who knows much about computers would, there's a reason Furmark is considered a diagnostic tool and not intended for people who don't know what they're doing with it.

Again, furmark was disabling fail safes. Swtor is not doing that, or it would be on the same list as furmark, of things not to do.

It was saying that damaging the gfx card using a stress test like Furmark will void your warranty.

Now you're just trying to grasp at straws - point is we don't want to run a stress test hours in a row for days on end over many years, do we.

What the hell are they doing to make a game run like a stress test anyway :confused:

Edited by lollie

Stress testing. Exactly what I (I'm a *she not a he btw) said :p

Yes - SWTOR is stress testing the computer same as Furmark stress tests computers.

And Furmark voids Nvidia warranties.

No it is not. :rolleyes:

I have a stock-cooled GTX 560 Ti and I run TOR at max at 1920 x 1080. My fan speed never gets above 60%, and temps hover around 55 degrees

Again, furmark was disabling fail safes. Swtor is not doing that, or it would be on the same list as furmark, of things not to do.

Furmark doesn't disable any fail safes, the Nvidia warning is just stating that it could interfere with the fail safes by "maximising power draw beyond any real world application or game". SWTOR seems to be pushing the GPU beyond real world applications and games, hence the cause for concern.

I have a stock-cooled GTX 560 Ti and I run TOR at max at 1920 x 1080. My fan speed never gets above 60%, and temps hover around 55 degrees

You and I been through this. You might not be having this problem but that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, because we are experiencing it. Two of us, posting right now, are comparing this game's GPU heat levels to Furmark. It's not a coincidence (or a conspiracy, for that matter).

Edited by PJEBarlow

Actually, I'm afraid not. It was warning that Furmark might stress the GPU to the point of interfering with the fail safes, Fermi-based GPUs are designed to manage power draw in the case of abnormal behaviour. It's a driver-level option, no less.

Exactly, it was disabling failsafes...

Edited by Culveren

What's your CPU make and speed, and what's your motherboard?

It's quite likely your rig is limited by something a bit substandard you have in there, and this is keeping your temps down.

Currently it looks like SWTOR is pushing our rigs as fast as they will go, and if you have a fast rig that means a lot of heat - something is very wrong here.

Edited by lollie

It was saying that damaging the gfx card using a stress test like Furmark will void your warranty.

Now you're just trying to grasp at straws - point is we don't want to run a stress test hours in a row for days on end over many years, do we.

What the hell are they doing to make a game run like a stress test anyway :confused:

it does not run like a stress test, i am saying that even if it did its irrelevant to exceeding operational temperatures.

it does not run like a stress test

It is running like a stress test. Put your hands over your ears and go lalala all you want - this issue is real, and either they fix it ASAP or we'll have to quietly leave until they do.

Edited by lollie

Exactly, it was disabling failsafes...

It wasn't, Nvidia's warning was that it could. The warning even says, and I quote, "In some cases, this could lead to slowdown of the graphics card due to hitting over-temperature or over-current protection mechanisms."

I've not actually heard of Furmark doing this, Nvidia just warns against using it because it could.

it does not run like a stress test

Not for you, but it runs a lot like Furmark for two of us here.

It is running like a stress test. Put your hands over your ears and go lalala all you want - this issue is real, and either they fix it ASAP or we'll have to quietly leave until they do.

That doesn't count for me, I am too addicted to leave even if I wanted to. :D

Edited by PJEBarlow

It is running like a stres stest. Put your hands over your ears and go lalala all you want - this issue is real, and either they fix it ASAP or we'll have to quietly leave until they do.

Then why does my PC not operate at 100 percent load while playing?

No test program can disable internal GPU temperature escalation and prediction mechanism, it is built in to core as separate unit. So when core reaches critical temp, video card will shut down computer. Usually critical temp is around 100C, witch is critical for silicone overall. If 1 transistor from 1 billion transistors gets over cooked, that is it, GPU is dead. Otherwise Futuremark would be already bankrupt long time ago.

Edited by Chaffery

It wasn't, Nvidia's warning was that it could. The warning even says, and I quote, "In some cases, this could lead to slowdown of the graphics card due to hitting over-temperature or over-current protection mechanisms."

I've not actually heard of Furmark doing this, Nvidia just warns against using it because it could.

Not for you, but it runs a lot like Furmark for two of us here.

Okay, look, furmark pushes max current to the card, preventing the card from throttling current. That is not the same as 100 percent load conditions. That disables the failsafe, which can lead to overheating (not always mind you). But it always pushes max current as a stress test.

This is not how Swtor operates. It uses 100 percent of the cards potential at stock clocks. If the temp gets too high, the GPU can still throttle itself, because swtor is not forcing max current.

This is why lollies "its exactly the same" comment is untrue.