The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

My card is more powerful than yours, which is why it belts along at 110fps even with anti-aliasing on. Unless you're asking me to cap the FPS, and stop making use of the 120Hz monitor I spent my hard-earned money on, what do you suggest I do?

Other than asking Bioware to look at their GPU optimisation, of course.

You have a reasonable request. Improve optimization to lower GPU utilization. But this thread is about heat. There are other optimization threads.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My card is more powerful than yours, which is why it belts along at 110fps. Unless you're asking me to cap the FPS, and stop making use of the 120Hz monitor I spent my hard-earned money on, what do you suggest I do?

Other than asking Bioware to look at their GPU optimisation, of course.

I can't suggest what to do, since I don't have access to your computer. All I can say for a fact is that TOR is not causing your heat issues.

You have a reasonable request. Improve optimization to lower GPU utilization. But this thread is about heat. There are other optimization threads.

You don't see the connection? At all?

I can't suggest what to do, since I don't have access to your computer. All I can say for a fact is that TOR is not causing your heat issues.

A bold claim, a very bold claim. You cannot say this "for a fact" though, can you. Nobody can say that, not unless Bioware and Nvidia launch some sort of inquiry in to this, and that is not going to happen.

No, all you can do is speculate, just as all I can do is speculate as to how The Old Republic behaves almost like Furmark on my system, and I think I'm in a better position to determine if there's something wrong with my own system than you are.

Edited by PJEBarlow

There's 2 main reasons for overheating in SWTOR.

1. The WoW crowd is playing on thier Dells.

2. It's a new game ppl are marathoning it 20hrs and wondering why thier comps are getting hot.

Here's some things that aren't happening simply because it's impossible.

1. SWTOR is not frying GPUs.

2. SWTOR is now slowing down fans.

Yeah some laptop manufactures cannot sufficiently cool the hardware the put inside the laptop, so the throttle the GPU at higher temps. Again this is your laptops fault and not the GPU's fault. If you had better cooling it would be fine.

Never over 75C, roughly around 71C and 73C, pretty sure it is a good sign.

But it is 10C over recommended buy chip makers.

Edited by Chaffery

Wow.... how is this thread multiple pages?

I know some of you laymen out there don't want to put the effort into understanding how computer hardware works, but you really need to stop the mob mentality.

Games do not destroy graphics cards.

A graphics card can be overheated by running a game at higher settings than your card can handle, but that is not the game's fault. Furthermore, it's extremely rare for a card to be permanently damaged from overheating. The card will shutdown before it's permanently damaged from overheating. Of course, repeatedly overheating your card in a short time can permanently damage it... which is again no one's fault but the user.

I am sorry your wrong lol

there was a MMORPG that was out not long ago that was causing hardware overheating on a large scale, where players and the devolopers all knew about it, and it was fixed by the developers.

There's 2 main reasons for overheating in SWTOR.

1. The WoW crowd is playing on thier Dells.

2. It's a new game ppl are marathoning it 20hrs and wondering why thier comps are getting hot.

Here's some things that aren't happening simply because it's impossible.

1. SWTOR is not frying GPUs.

2. SWTOR is now slowing down fans.

How is this sort of ad hominem nonsense even remotely constructive?

Do you think I am here just to tarnish the reputation of a game I enjoy? Why are you rushing to defend it this way, by insulting anyone who has a concern or complaint?

No, GPU utilization is independent of overheating. Sure you may only notice overheating at higher utilization, but you should NEVER be overheating, and therefore utilization is not the problem.

Its like saying please turn down the sun so that my car doesn't overheat, when you should just fix your car.

Even if they improve optimization, which they will, people with lower end cards will still run at 100 percent, so if they still do not improve their cooling their problems will not be fixed.

The real issue is cooling, not optimization, in regards to overheating.

if this were a thread about FPS, then the issue would be optimization.

No, GPU utilization is independent of overheating. Sure you may only notice overheating at higher utilization, but you should NEVER be overheating, and therefore utilization is not the problem.

Its like saying please turn down the sun so that my car doesn't overheat, when you should just fix your car.

Even if they improve optimization, which they will, people with lower end cards will still run at 100 percent, so if they still do not improve their cooling their problems will not be fixed.

The real issue is cooling, not optimization, in regards to overheating.

if this were a thread about FPS, then the issue would be optimization.

The thing you're missing is that my system is not "overheating" in the sense that the game is going to break it, mainly because my cooling system is working optimally and as intended.

My problem is that the GPU is being heated up to an unreasonable level when compared with other games and is forcing my GPU to become excessively loud to correct it. While my cooling solution is more than adequate to cope with it, there is no logical reason for this game to behave like Furmark.

Software can indeed do this, Starcraft 2 had this problem before it was fixed. Software like Intel Burn Test and Furmark is designed to do this. Let's not pretend software can't get a GPU pretty toasty.

Edited by PJEBarlow

there was a MMORPG that was out not long ago that was causing hardware overheating on a large scale, where players and the devolopers all knew about it, and it was fixed by the developers.

Impossible. GPU and other fans are controlled by the OS/drivers not the programs, so programs cannot be the direct cause of overheating.

It is most likely that the game just unnecessarily ran the computers at 100 percent, which exposed many people's cooling problems.

In the end though it is still a cooling issue.

How is this sort of ad hominem nonsense even remotely constructive?

Do you think I am here just to tarnish the reputation of a game I enjoy? Why are you rushing to defend it this way, by insulting anyone who has a concern or complaint?

Because that's whats actually happening, good lord look out for the AA option coming when these people are putting on 16x msaa with thier Dells.

A bold claim, a very bold claim. You cannot say this "for a fact" though, can you. Nobody can say that, not unless Bioware and Nvidia launch some sort of inquiry in to this, and that is not going to happen.

No, all you can do is speculate, just as all I can do is speculate as to how The Old Republic behaves almost like Furmark on my system, and I think I'm in a better position to determine if there's something wrong with my own system than you are.

Nope, I can say it for a fact. ;)

The very FACT that I'm running on a card that is less powerful with stock cooling options and my fan tops out at 60% proves the FACT that the game is not causing any overheating issues.

A more powerful card would be able to run the game on max even more efficiently than mine. So that means:

1) Your card is defective

2) You have inadequate cooling

3) There is some other issue

The thing you're missing is that my system is not "overheating" in the sense that the game is going to break it, mainly because my cooling system is working optimally and as intended.

My problem is that the GPU is being heated up to an unreasonable level when compared with other games. While my cooling solution is more than adequate to cope with it, there is no logical reason for this game to behave like Furmark.

Software can indeed do this, Starcraft 2 had this problem before it was fixed. Software like Intel Burn Test and Furmark is designed to do this. Let's not pretend software can't get a GPU pretty toasty.

yes but i am posting in reference to overheating, which i said multiple times, and i even said your request was reasonable. I already agreed that this game does use more resources than it should, but it cannot overheat a computer in working order.

My problem is that the GPU is being heated up to an unreasonable level when compared with other games and is forcing my GPU to become excessively loud to correct it. While my cooling solution is more than adequate to cope with it, there is no logical reason for this game to behave like Furmark.

LOL not even close to running like that, If you can run a Furmark burn in for more than 5 min I'd love to see it.

No my friend, you're misinformed... probably listening to the other uniformed laymen that like to blame all the problems they don't understand on something else.

Game software cannot cause overheating issues.

Because that's whats actually happening, good lord look out for the AA option coming when these people are putting on 16x msaa with thier Dells.

So you think I am just here to somehow harm the game? Even though I enjoy the game a lot, and intend to play it for a long time to come? Are you that paranoid?

Nope, I can say it for a fact. ;)

The very FACT that I'm running on a card that is less powerful with stock cooling options and my fan tops out at 60% proves the FACT that the game is not causing any overheating issues.

A more powerful card would be able to run the game on max even more efficiently than mine. So that means:

1) Your card is defective

2) You have inadequate cooling

3) There is some other issue

Firstly; you're not even using the same card I am. Secondly; neither of us knows what the root of this issue is, so neither of us can say "for a fact" what is going on.

1. My card is not defective, if I thought you were serious about this I could Furmark it for twelve hours, just for you, to prove that it's not. But I don't believe you are serious about this, I think you're just here to talk down to people you think are simply "haters" trying to harm the game.

2. My cooling is not inadequate, in fact the cooling is fulfilling its job perfectly by running at 100% fan speed to cope with the extra heat. The problem is that there's no reason for this game to run my GPU fans like Furmark, when no other games make it work at over 60% or so like your own.

3. Yes, and failing to find anything wrong with my own system, I suspect that issue is something to do with the game. Software can force components to work harder than they need to, example of this are Intel Burn Test and Furmark. As I have already said, Starcraft II had a problem that caused excessive GPU heat, and was patched to fix the problem.

But hey, you seem to just want to act like I hate the game or something and am here just to make it look bad. That's very grown up of you.

LOL not even close to running like that, If you can run a Furmark burn in for more than 5 min I'd love to see it.

My system is IBT and Furmark stable, it's not even overclocked, so why do you simply presume otherwise in such an antagonistic manner? Why are you acting so utterly childish and unconstructive? What exactly is your agenda here other than to act like I'm some sort of "hater" who is "out to get" your game?

Just pretend for one moment that this isn't a problem with my PC, no matter how small you think the chances of that are. Would you really want a problem like this to go untreated forever, while complaints build up on the forum and spread their way around the internet? It sounds to me like you're the one who wants to harm the growth of this game.

Edited by PJEBarlow

Impossible. GPU and other fans are controlled by the OS/drivers not the programs, so programs cannot be the direct cause of overheating.

It is most likely that the game just unnecessarily ran the computers at 100 percent, which exposed many people's cooling problems.

In the end though it is still a cooling issue.

You are totally right, heavy load did put cooling systems on to edge and many failed.

I take is as you have a lot of experience with computers, glad to have you here.

Some peoples are too paranoid and seeing everything as unnecessary bashing game.

Lets face it, patch 1.0.1 wasn't tested on budget video cards. Makes me think that BW dev team computers are water cooled and they could take more than budged stuff.

Edited by Chaffery

You are totally right, heavy load did put cooling systems on to edge and many failed.

I take is as you have a lot of experience with computers, glad to have you here.

Some peoples are too paranoid and seeing everything as unnecessary bashing game.

Lets face it, patch 1.0.1 wasn't tested on budget video cards. Makes me think that BW dev team computers are water cooled and they could take more than budged stuff.

You misread me. Budget cards, high end cards, it does not matter. They should be able to run at 100 percent no matter what without overheating. It may be unnecessary for swtor to run them at 100 percent, but they should not overheat regardless.

So its really not SWTOR's fault, some people just need better cooling, and swtor is showing them that.

Its well known swtor i poorly optimized, but that being said it cannot overheat a PC if you have a properly functioning cooling system, and if you plan to game, you should certainly have just that.

Firstly; you're not even using the same card I am. Secondly; neither of us knows what the root of this issue is, so neither of us can say "for a fact" what is going on.

Your card is more powerful than mine. Assuming you have adequate cooling for it, and are not over-clocking it, it should run TOR at max at even lower fan speeds and temps than I am (since I am running at max with a less powerful card).

1. My card is not defective, if I thought you were serious about this I could Furmark it for twelve hours, just for you, to prove that it's not. But I don't believe you are serious about this, I think you're just here to talk down to people you think are simply "haters" trying to harm the game.

If your card is struggling and mine is not, then yours could quite possibly be defective. You're illogically dismissing the possibility.

2. My cooling is not inadequate, in fact the cooling is fulfilling its job perfectly by running at 100% fan speed to cope with the extra heat. The problem is that there's no reason for this game to run my GPU fans like Furmark, when no other games make it work at over 60% or so like your own.

Then you're right, it's not your cooling. Most likely your card is defective in some manner then. There is no reason for a GTX 580 to forced to run at 100% fan speed when a GTX 560 Ti is only running at 60%.

I am the guy who reads the forums while waiting for the bus or on the cab. I dont post much, i just read the "omg i hate huttball" posts and have a laugh.

I logged on the forums to reply to this thread - because this issue is real.

Last night i popped the side of the desktop and put a tAbletop fan to be able to pay.

The issue is real guys.

My spec has good cooling and top of the line hardware.

I play skyrim, witcher 2 and many other games without any issues.

I am not sure what the problem is but i get a black screen before i can finish a flashpoint.

Please do not reply to this thread if ur gpu is find - ur rig might be different, ur -something- might be different, from all of us who are having this problem.

Wouls love a dev response to this thread..

So its really not SWTOR's fault, some people just need better cooling, and swtor is showing them that.

And if the game is not destroying my card, but is heating it up much more than other games for seemingly no reason, despite my cooling performing exactly as it should?

Should the issue then not be investigated, to see if the game can be patched to produce the average amount of heat that other games (MMO or otherwise) do? Or should we ignore the issue, brush it aside, and let people's fans run at 100% for every minute of play time for no apparent reason?

Your card is more powerful than mine. Assuming you have adequate cooling for it, and are not over-clocking it, it should run TOR at max at even lower fan speeds and temps than I am (since I am running at max with a less powerful card).

Ergo my card is probably also running at a higher framerate than yours, or some other pure FLOPS-related function that causes it to generate more heat. Or maybe it's a simple optimisation issue. It could be anything, but the problem exists.

If your card is struggling and mine is not, then yours could quite possibly be defective. You're illogically dismissing the possibility.

Are you even reading what I am writing? For that matter, are you even reading what you are writing?

Firstly, I have said numerous times, my card is not struggling it is just getting much hotter than it does on average when gaming and the cooler is having to run a lot faster (and louder, hence my gripe) to compensate.

Secondly, I am dismissing no possibilities here. Not one. The only possibilities I have dismissed are those I have confirmed as being not possibilities, namely that my GPU or cooling solution is inadequate or faulty. I am perfectly capable of testing these things, and have spent days and days scratching my head trying to find the reason for this before questioning whether the game itself might be it.

Then you're right, it's not your cooling. Most likely your card is defective in some manner then. There is no reason for a GTX 580 to forced to run at 100% fan speed when a GTX 560 Ti is only running at 60%.

My card is not defective, and you're right, there's no reason for a GTX 580 to be forced to run at 100% fan speed. Ergo, let's look at the only game that coincides with the problem as a possible cause instead of dismissing it just because we don't like the possibility.

Edited by PJEBarlow

You misread me. Budget cards, high end cards, it does not matter. They should be able to run at 100 percent no matter what without overheating. It may be unnecessary for swtor to run them at 100 percent, but they should not overheat regardless.

Its well known swtor i poorly optimized, but that being said it cannot overheat a PC if you have a properly functioning cooling system, and if you plan to game, you should certainly have just that.

It actually matters, seen a lot of video cards during my life since 286.

Sadly you can not replace factory cooling on many video cards. Other thing, on older video cards thermal paste becomes less efficient during time. So putting on load what only very good cooled cards could take is wrong and leads to problems.

I am the guy who reads the forums while waiting for the bus or on the cab. I dont post much, i just read the "omg i hate huttball" posts and have a laugh.

I logged on the forums to reply to this thread - because this issue is real.

Last night i popped the side of the desktop and put a tAbletop fan to be able to pay.

The issue is real guys.

My spec has good cooling and top of the line hardware.

I play skyrim, witcher 2 and many other games without any issues.

I am not sure what the problem is but i get a black screen before i can finish a flashpoint.

Please do not reply to this thread if ur gpu is find - ur rig might be different, ur -something- might be different, from all of us who are having this problem.

Wouls love a dev response to this thread..

Have you ever stressed your computer?

Whenever i build a PC i run it at 100 percent for 3 days straight. If it fails, i send the component that failed back for a new one. if it overheats, i switch cases or add more fans. if it continues to overheat i send back whatever is overheating for a new part. Never do i blame the program.

Why?

Because computers are designed to run at 100 percent for their entire warrantied life. Games cannot cause computers to run at more than 100 percent.

So if you are experiencing overheating, then you need better airflow or one or more of your parts is malfunctioning.