The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

lvl 50 pvp/dps build

hillb

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801ZrsMrobckZfGMbzu.1

I know its vanguard but yeah..

Was just throwing things together and was wondering how this would work as a hybrid build? You're looking at 3dots snare from plasma cell and hold the line to make kiting even that much easier. Along with that gut/stockstrike have a chance to make HIB an automatic crit, while Ion Pulse/stockstrike is refreshing HIB and Ion pulse is refreshing stockstrike.

Could this work at all?

I was actually about to make a thread about the exact same build, except I put the last point into Rail Loaders instead of Rapid Venting. I think it's a neat build. With a rotation of Flame Burst-Retractable Blade-Rocket Punch-Rail Shot, you're looking at the following procs:

Charged Gauntlets (Rail Shot Auto-Crits): .4375

Flame Barrage (Rocket Punch Free): .3

Prototype Particle Accelerator (Rail Shot Recharge and Free): .615

You can add in additional flame bursts and retractable blades in there if you don't get the procs you need and vent off the additional heat. Once you get rolling on procs, you won't have a heat problem.

That's a lot of synergistic procs, and you basically can't be kited between hydraulic overrides, and degauss, and sweltering heat. Even if you are kited, you have decent ranged capability as well.

It seems like this build is a lot better for pvp than a straight pyro dps build at the very least.

Exactly what I was thinking. Venting would be no different from a full spec pyro...where your dots would do more damage as pyro gut makes up for that plus the extra procs.

However, if you dont proc than you will probably be done for. I just ran the build did 280k dps and 35k protection from a player that is not the greatest. So in the right hands this build may be deadly.

Overall, this build has potential and also many problems.

About Hydraulic Override, it's quite weak for a gap closer. Smart enemies will wait out its cd before using their knock back/snare/root or just use a different cd (like force speed to outrun you). You can also be stunned during the duration which force you to trinket or totally wasted the cd). Moreover, it doesn't stack with sprint for better mobility outside of combat. But having a weak gap closer against having none, this spec is better than pyro about mobility.

Damage wise, this build will have better sustain damage. Deep pyro will still have way better burst with Thermal Detonator. This spec has more procs than a pyro build so is subjected to even more RNG. You'll be required to be in melee range more to get the most out of your procs.

Survivability, both sucks at this category. This build is not deep enough to pick up Stabilized Armor. Pyro maybe slightly better with the reduced cd on Energy Shield and Kolto Overload.

Just some of my thought.

Edited by Trungalung

Between a 35 sec grapple, hydraulic overrides, and degauss, closing the gap really shouldn't be that hard. I don't usually have a problem with my shadow, and it has even less to work with.

Pyro's defenses are also pretty bad - energy rebounder is the only thing thats missing, and it sucks in pvp. Powertechs get heavy armor by default, so they're not in huge trouble.

Also, people have done calculations on thermal detonator, and it usually doesn't add too much burst damage. A bunch of other threads have details.

Edited by Valkenheineken

Between a 35 sec grapple, hydraulic overrides, and degauss, closing the gap really shouldn't be that hard. I don't usually have a problem with my shadow, and it has even less to work with.

Pyro's defenses are also pretty bad - energy rebounder is the only thing thats missing, and it sucks in pvp. Powertechs get heavy armor by default, so they're not in huge trouble.

Also, people have done calculations on thermal detonator, and it usually doesn't add too much burst damage. A bunch of other threads have details.

TD is the key to burst damage of pyro. I'm pretty sure other threads meant that TD will reduce the sustained and overall DPS but not burst damage.