The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Little bit of help for a ST in the mid 30's please...

Ironbarrs

As the title says I am looking for a little condensed info for ST in the mid 30's. I will admit off the bat that i am not good at theory crafting, and I have read the stickies and a lot of the posts in here but I just have a few questions.

To start off I am leveling through quests and pvp and I do the new flash points every few lvls with my brothers. I also have an article crafter so I can stay up on the latest enhancements and that leads to my first question. I have access to the top enhancements at each level so what tanks stats should I be aiming for now? Should I just go for a mix of shield, absorb, and defense at this level and then try and iron it out better at 50? If there is a certain stat I should try and max at this lvl what would it be?

At 50 what is the stat order? And what are the DRs where I should stop the stat and work on the other. For example should I reach a certain shield rating then move onto absorb? Then what absorb rating should I stop at and work on defense? I could have the order wrong but you get the idea.

Sorry for the wall of text but I am sure there are others that have the same question that have troubles understanding the crazy equations some great theory crafting minds have come up with.

Ps. I am going with the cookie cutter ST spec.

You can try to freak out about how much of X mitigation you have and how you need more of Y instead, but the numbers supporting all of that are sort of nonexistent right now due to the lack of combat logs and parsers.

If it is a piece of gear and it has mitigation on it, pick it up. Simple. If it is a nicer piece of gear or might have more mitigation, replace something.

The game isn't exactly raining gear on you yet where you even have much in the way of options to deal with these sorts of decisions. Just keep a good mix of stuff to avoid DR and don't stress so much.

Thanks, that was pretty much what I was thinking. Wasn't stressing it just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction. Another question. As a tank should I be gearing out Mako. I like the synergy as a tank with a healing companion. We are slow but indestructible. Or is there a better companion to go with the ST.

Thanks, that was pretty much what I was thinking. Wasn't stressing it just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction. Another question. As a tank should I be gearing out Mako. I like the synergy as a tank with a healing companion. We are slow but indestructible. Or is there a better companion to go with the ST.

Mako or Gault are your best bets. Gault can blow through weaker packs like they aren't even there and Mako can allow you to take on some really strong threats.

I can't speak much for Gault past about Alderaan however, I play on a PvP server so Mako was pretty much my only real choice.

I`m going for this stat priority: shield>absorption>defence

defence as last because we dont really have any bonuses to defence, we rely on our shield and absorption. I think defence is more something for our sith brothers ;)

my 2 cents :)

I`m going for this stat priority: shield>absorption>defence

defence as last because we dont really have any bonuses to defence, we rely on our shield and absorption. I think defence is more something for our sith brothers ;)

my 2 cents :)

All those stats have diminishing return at which one will become better than the other. Stacking one stats will result in a net loss of overall stats. Also, if you meant we rely on shielding for our procs, we technically don't since Flame Shield and Shield Vent both have internal cd. All defensive stats are good to us.

Mako or Gault are your best bets. Gault can blow through weaker packs like they aren't even there and Mako can allow you to take on some really strong threats.

I can't speak much for Gault past about Alderaan however, I play on a PvP server so Mako was pretty much my only real choice.

as a shield tech i have to say that you can pretty much shelf mako on most fights. put her back on the ship and make her do missions or whatever.

Gault is a freight train, you'll blow through fights so much faster with Gault on deck, its a huge difference. you'll find that what you sacrifice in heals you more than make up for in efficiency, and a lot of encounters are easier with gault blowing everyone up than with Mako just following you around. If you're a biochemist with a pile of reusables, then you can pretty much lock Mako on the ship permanently.

A good rule of thumb to follow for tanking is the following -> Accuracy to 105% > DEF/Shield/Armour > Endurance/Absorbtion > Aim > Secondary Stats for powertech tanks. Ive read this is plenty of guides and had come to the some conclusion and im currently at lvl 32.

Gear Mako to the teeth. Like you said, you're slow, but you can take on ANYTHING. I've had no issues taking on named Elites/some Champions with an uber-geared Mako at my side.

I am 39 currently and craft in Armormech, which helps me have great gear for my level all the time. I am usually running around in all defensive armor that are blue and purple.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about min/maxing all your stats at mid 30. Even if you get it perfect, you are going to out level the gear and it will be pointless. I just get defensive gear when I see it and call it good. Haven't had any problems tanking in any of the flashpoints yet. I am currently 30 in ST, probably going for a 31/10/0 or 31/8/2 build, or something along those lines. Will play with the tank spec a little before trying some of the popular builds on these forums.

Overall, full ST seems pretty beastly. I can solo most champion mobs I find with Mako, sure it takes forever, but I can do it. I pretty much always run with Gault, as his DPS makes fights go that much faster. I don't have the survivability that I would with Mako, but it makes questing faster. Also, my Armormech helps me keep my companions fully decked out each level too which is nice.

Overall, just stack whatever defensive statistics you can find and it should be fine. Don't sweat it too much.