The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech....master of what ?

BobaFurz

So far I read the Powertech is some kind of hybrid class with ranged and melee elements.

We have ranged classes like the Sniper, Mercenary.

We have close combat classes like the Maurader.

We have tank classes like the Juggernaut.

In what is the Powertech Master of anything and how does he actually perform versus other classes in pvp ?

I mean dont you have problems against other classes who are actually specialized at range or melee ?

Iam almost lvl 10 with my BH and cant decide what advanced class I should take for pvp, Mercenary or Powertech.

Thx a lot

Edited by BobaFurz

So far I read the Powertech is some kind of hybrid class with ranged and melee elements.

We have ranged classes like the Sniper, Mercenary.

We have close combat classes like the Maurader.

We have tank classes like the Juggernaut.

In what is the Powertech Master of anything and how does he actually perform versus other classes in pvp ?

I mean dont you have problems against other classes who are actually specialized at range or melee ?

Iam almost lvl 10 with my BH and cant decide what advanced class I should take for pvp, Mercenary or Powertech.

Thx a lot

Its a master of melee.

If you like melee go powertech

if you like ranged go merc

If you don't care how you do damage and you;

like having option to heal go merc

like having option to tank go powertech

If you dont care about any of that flip a coin.

its as simple as that

Edited by Eroex

So the class is capable of competing in pvp with Mauraders, Shadows, Juggernauts,... ? Iam just a little afraid that the class lacks in melee but maybe Iam wrong. Didnt meet many Powertechs so far in pvp and dont know if this a viable 1v1 class or more a support class. So far the masses are going Mercenary/Arsenal. Maybe some pvper can give me advice here who are also doing duels and 1v1 situations, thx. Edited by BobaFurz

We're masters of killing things.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/screenshot2012010522302.jpg/ (excuse the terrible grammar in chat, we all know it's easier getting scores like this while drunk)

And there are Powertechs out there with damage above 500k damage in WZs, quite a few of them.

We're masters of "close range," if we have to be masters of something. Melee to 10m range is where most of our skills are, but we can reach out to 30m with quite a few skills as well. We get up close and personal and beat the hell out of people, but unlike pure-melee classes we have very many abilities that extend beyond melee range. Melee range or close to melee range is just where we tend to be when we do our damage.

Edited by Mhak

I duel every class. There is no class I fear in a 1v1 fight except a Scoundrel who gets a jump on me from stealth, because a geared Scoundrel can really kill anything they want to if they get the jump and have all their CDs up. If they're not in good gear I can turn things around, but in full PvP gear it's pretty much GG for anybody.

Tanks are cake because most of my damage is either elemental which ignores armor, or Rail Shot which ignores 90% armor and does silly-high damage if you spec for it. Ranged classes I yank to melee range and pummel them. Sages are my favorite prey.

The only class I'd ever see first and be hesitant to engage would be a Gunslinger if they were at range and in cover. I can't grapple them while they're in cover, I'd be forced to run up to them while taking tons and tons of damage. If I popped my defensive CD and Rakata medpack I might survive and get to them and destroy them, but...that's a toss up. They hurt a lot at range. If I tried to stun them at range they'd surely just use their CC removal skill to get out of it and continue attacking me.

If they're not at max range or I get the jump on them, I win hands down. Pretty much anybody I engage in a completely fair fight that starts at close range I'd bet money on me coming out on top. Of course I do say this in full Champion/Columni gear, and gear means a lot in this game. But in terms of dueling, Powertechs and Vanguards are near the head of the pack right now.

Edited by Mhak

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed infos about your class, excellent. I think I will try powertech, first I wanted to go Mercenary but the masses are doing that already. :) You are doing fine also with sorcs/sages and healers ? I have to say I didnt inform me well about the CC and interrupt skills for this class. The class has also this stealth class warning system, donno how it is called ? Small robots who detect them.

Sounds good

Edited by BobaFurz

Alright thx, so far I did try it in pvp but dont know what skill rotation I should use. I did invest my points so far in pyrotech, lvl 14 at the moment.

What I do is going in and shooting a rocket before and the explosive, shooting a bit with my rifle and when I arive and I have the chance I use both types of flame throwers. Most of the time I spam Flame Burst and watch my heat of course.

After playing op, juggernaut and sorcerer, the class is quiete simple to play so far and hope for more interesting gameplay. The dmg output is crazy high (flame burst) und very powerfull for my level in comparison to the other classes I played at this lvl range, dont know how the dmg scales with the levels. What are your major CC spells in pvp ?

Edited by BobaFurz

Gunslinger/Sniper is pretty easy actually. Drop Death from Above on him, preferably with adrenals/relics/Explosive Shot. This will encourage him to move or just eat the damage. The second he moves, pull him. You win.

Narp. Even with all my CDs popped and every tick of DfA critting it's about 7k damage. Half a Gunslingers health, and I stay in the same place while I casting that - which means not closing the distance to where I can actually damage them effectively. Any skilled Gunslinger will gladly take that damage without leaving cover because it would mean 3 free seconds of shooting me while I was at range. Those 3 seconds would sign my death warrant.

In fact, any skilled gunslinger who sees a Powertech at range will stay in cover *no matter what* just to avoid that grapple because it means their death, as you said.

After playing op, juggernaut and sorcerer, the class is quiete simple to play so far and hope for more interesting gameplay. The dmg output is crazy high (flame burst) und very powerfull for my level in comparison to the other classes I played at this lvl range, dont know how the dmg scales with the levels. What are your major CC spells in pvp ?

Well if you're staying Pyrotech, which is my current spec, things are by no means easy at higher levels, especially in PvP. Advanced Prototype is the "easy" spec, Pyrotech is capable of dishing out insane damage at higher levels but is also the most heat-intensive spec, and requires very care skill usage and watching for certain talent procs in the middle of combat. It's micromanagement intensive.

There are 4 forms of CC used in combat, the standard is Electrodart, the most common used after that is Grapple. At higher levels you get Carbonize, which is an instant AoE 2.5 second stun and very fun to use in crowds in PvP. If you spec Shield-Tech or Pyrotech, your weapon cylinder also procs an extremely handy snare for 50% for 2 seconds every time your target takes damage from your cylinder.

As Pyrotech spec at level 50, that means your targets are pretty much snared by 50% permanently while they fight you, as Pyrotech revolves around constantly reapplying Combustible Gas Cylinder.

Edited by Mhak