The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanky AP builds?

Zeldias

I've been thinking about doing something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGbdobZrsMrobco.1

And I've been hearing about the 21/2/18 build that also looks good. I'm having a hard time envisioning how a build like this would play out and whether it has some cohesion. For some reason, I'm just not able to imagine it well. That might be a bad sign.

I wanna be a Rocket Punching, Rail Shooting, shank-wielding tank.

that link busted for anyone else?

Works fine for me, I just don't like it.

ION is broken, it doesn't do nearly as much damage as the tooltip says. Dropping one point out of Supercharged Ion gas is an insignificant DPS decrease and allows you to pick up Hydraulic Overrides.

Since I'm assuming you're not willing to drop Charged Gauntlets+ for Jet Charge, you'll need Hydraulic Overrides for mobility.

The other problem with this spec, and specs like it, is that why Carolina Parakeet works so well is that you have access to BOTH of the abilities used to proc Prototype Particle Accelerator in Pyro. This proc doesn't just make it free, it resets as well. Flame Barrage just makes your next Rocket Punch free, and you're already firing off more than normal due to Flame Shield.

Now the synergy between Flame Shield and Charged Gauntlets is probably worth exploring, but again, I wouldn't try this build without Hydraulic Overrides.

Works fine for me, I just don't like it.

ION is broken, it doesn't do nearly as much damage as the tooltip says. Dropping one point out of Supercharged Ion gas is an insignificant DPS decrease and allows you to pick up Hydraulic Overrides.

Since I'm assuming you're not willing to drop Charged Gauntlets+ for Jet Charge, you'll need Hydraulic Overrides for mobility.

The other problem with this spec, and specs like it, is that why Carolina Parakeet works so well is that you have access to BOTH of the abilities used to proc Prototype Particle Accelerator in Pyro. This proc doesn't just make it free, it resets as well. Flame Barrage just makes your next Rocket Punch free, and you're already firing off more than normal due to Flame Shield.

Now the synergy between Flame Shield and Charged Gauntlets is probably worth exploring, but again, I wouldn't try this build without Hydraulic Overrides.

So is the Parakeet build mainly a PvP build? I assumed Hydraulic Overrides and stuff were PvP talents and so I didn't worry about them. I'm not so interested in this game's PvP (feels a lot like WoW's, which I didn't care for from my dabbling in it).

I see what you're saying about Prototype Particle Accelerator. I think I was assuming the 21/2/18 build was more a tank build than it actually is? I might be misunderstanding it's purpose and being a dummy.

But I do see what you're saying and I think I'd like to give it a shot. I feel like I read somewhere that the build doesn't come together until about level 48; is that true? I'm still leveling, so I wouldn't wanna respec to it and cripple myself.

I'm gonna miss that Retractable Blade. :"(

So is the Parakeet build mainly a PvP build? I assumed Hydraulic Overrides and stuff were PvP talents and so I didn't worry about them. I'm not so interested in this game's PvP (feels a lot like WoW's, which I didn't care for from my dabbling in it).

I see what you're saying about Prototype Particle Accelerator. I think I was assuming the 21/2/18 build was more a tank build than it actually is? I might be misunderstanding it's purpose and being a dummy.

But I do see what you're saying and I think I'd like to give it a shot. I feel like I read somewhere that the build doesn't come together until about level 48; is that true? I'm still leveling, so I wouldn't wanna respec to it and cripple myself.

I'm gonna miss that Retractable Blade. :"(

Carolina Parakeet is a tank hybrid build that trades some of its survivability (5% dr with 50% absorb) for massive boost in damage. A lot of other people forget that this is a tank hybrid build and expect it to perform just as well as other dps classes (given same gears and skill). Don't get me wrong, it does good damage. Just not equal to other pure dps. But in return, your survivability is like ten times better.

This spec is optimal at 48. The reason behind this is you need a lot of talent points for both shield tech and pyro key talents.

Carolina Parakeet is a tank hybrid build that trades some of its survivability (5% dr with 50% absorb) for massive boost in damage. A lot of other people forget that this is a tank hybrid build and expect it to perform just as well as other dps classes (given same gears and skill). Don't get me wrong, it does good damage. Just not equal to other pure dps. But in return, your survivability is like ten times better.

This spec is optimal at 48. The reason behind this is you need a lot of talent points for both shield tech and pyro key talents.

Cool. The goal of the build sounds up my alley :-).

If you were levelling, what order would you put the points in? Pyro first, then ST?

EDITED TO ADD:// And thanks, all y'all. The last MMO I played was WAR, which I didn't play for too long, so I might just not be used to considering builds outside of Etrian Odyssey 3 anymore. I was having a hard time understanding builds, but I appreciate folks coming in and giving me a hand :-D.

Edited by Zeldias

Cool. The goal of the build sounds up my alley :-).

If you were levelling, what order would you put the points in? Pyro first, then ST?

EDITED TO ADD:// And thanks, all y'all. The last MMO I played was WAR, which I didn't play for too long, so I might just not be used to considering builds outside of Etrian Odyssey 3 anymore. I was having a hard time understanding builds, but I appreciate folks coming in and giving me a hand :-D.

I don't recommend using the Carolina Parakeet to level. But if you must, I would go with filling out Pyro tree first.

But seriously, don't level with it or you'll cripple yourself. Go with a deep shield tech or pyro build then respec later (since respec cost is 0 assuming you never use it yet). I suggest go with a shield tech build to practice guard switching and taunt.