Operation Tanks, which class is the most efficient?

I'm curious (and this question is to serious players who have experienced hard mode operations) about how the tanks stack up currently.

My plan is to tank using my Powertech BH once I hit 50 (couple days!). I'm curious as to how the tank classes stack up?

Raw mitigation? How does a BH stack up to a SW, for straight mitigation? Is it pretty much reliant on your gear?

Threat generation? How are the tank classes when it comes to threat generation (in comparison)? Is one class exceedingly better at threat generation? I don't even know if threat generation will be a problem but; I do notice as a BH I simply get an across the board threat increase and a couple of taunts and grapple. I have no other ability which causes 'high threat'. My problem with THIS is how it would scale.. as DPS gets higher and higher, tank DPS does not, because their gear has defensive stats... and better gear simply means better defensive stats. So if it's simply a percentage increase eventually the DPS is going to outpace the tanks ability to generate threat. I realize that SW/SA have a lot of High Threat abilities... without these, does it make BH tanking gimped when it comes to threat generation down the line?

This question is more towards current end game players etc. Healers, what tanks have you found the most easy to heal? TO take the least amount of damage? Have you seen any noticeable difference in how much different AC tanks have between themselves? Does one stand out above the rest?

Thanks for any input you guys, just really curious as to what the current 'state of tanking' is.

Powertechs have significantly better AOE threat than Juggernauts. Single target, none of our DPS has ever pulled off either class. It's hard to quantify damage intake, but as I healer I've not found either tank more difficult to heal than the other, on average.

Our current primary tank is a BH, and we've done hard content (fps and ops) without a hitch on his end; They're definitely capable. As an aside, if you care, Powertechs are much more useful in PvP because of grapple and better disables.

I've yet to have any experience at all with an Assassin tank.

As an aside, if you care, Powertechs are much more useful in PvP because of grapple and better disables.

As with most things, that is situational. A well geared Immortal Juggernaut is insane as the ball carrier in Huttball, as long as their team knows what to do. Intercede + Force Charge is amazing for mobility.

Though, for defense, the BH is far superior. Again, situational.

Edited by Rhayven

Powertechs have significantly better AOE threat than Juggernauts. Single target, none of our DPS has ever pulled off either class. It's hard to quantify damage intake, but as I healer I've not found either tank more difficult to heal than the other, on average.

Our current primary tank is a BH, and we've done hard content (fps and ops) without a hitch on his end; They're definitely capable. As an aside, if you care, Powertechs are much more useful in PvP because of grapple and better disables.

I've yet to have any experience at all with an Assassin tank.

Great, thanks for the info.

And yeah, I have an absolute blast in PVP as powertech. I usually have around 100-175k protected in lot of rounds... Guard + Taunt makes for a nasty, nasty player.

As a side note, anyone know why medals stop at 50k for protection? I was really upset when I had 175k protection and the last medal I got as 75k ;P

As a Powertech Tank I can say one thing, aim scales up all of our attacks, and accuracy from 100% to 110% reduces armor on a target. With gear I have noticed a significant increase in damage from when I hit 50. When I first dinged rocket punch crit for about 1500 now it can crit for up to 2100

I've run through pretty much any imaginable PVE content with all three tank archetypes and the old mantra holds true: "Bring the player, not the class."

All three have the potential to do very well or fail very miserably. Just play whichever fits your playstyle best.

Aye all 3 tanks can do it np, i just clear the first operation 4/4 with a group of week-1days old lvl 50s guys (most in some pvp gear and blue/craft epics) as a vanguard (same as powertech) and it was easy to tank all off it.

Tip for soa boss, as a tank in 3rd phase you need to stay in midle and look for the pylon. Then run to it with the boss and look Straight up into the air, so that you are sure you passed it and are in the right position for the boss to get hit by it.

The boss can be a pain to places correct but it get easyer, also expect to get hit often by the pylon (it better you get hit with the boss than the boss not getting hit) so always have your healer shield you when the pylon comes, and not before for taking some of the pylon damages.

Edited by Asolar