Question from a noob- Is this normal in an MMO?

ChrisRedmond

Killing him would be fine, but griefing is not.

I understand the OP is on a pve server and neither had pvp enabled.

There is something even more sad than continually griefing the same player on a pvp server: continually griefing him on a pve server.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as bad as when some level 50 Pubs on my PvP server decided to camp out at an Imperial quest hub to kill NPCs and players there. Luckily I was doing the bonus series there, so I decided to go out of my way and help out the level 30/40 Imperial players by helping to kill the Pubs.

In any case, this is normal really. If he does this for a prolonged time though (20-30 minutes) I'd try reporting him or changing instances.

Rather a cowardly way to grief; at least on a PvP server enemy players have a chance to strike back and kill you if you grief them.

Edited by cdstephen

He said he was in an imperial area. For him to expect to be able to run around in an Imperial area and just have imperial player /wave at him is kind of stupid, don't you think? On a PvP server he wouldn't get out alive.

I wasn't on a PvP server. Let's deal with the reality of the situation and not the fantasy.

It happened on Hoth (I believe this is a planet both factions get to at some point in the game) so it was inevitible Republic and Imperial players will bump into each other at some point. I don't expect anyone to be nice to me, but I don't expect them to annoy me either.

I take it with you saying he was not flagged and he wasnt attacking you, that you are on a PvE server.

On a PvP server, this would be something that PvP could seetle it, and not much if anything will happen of you report him.

However, on a PvE server, this is something that can be reported as on a PvE server this is greifing.

No, this is not normal actions. But every MMO has its jerks in it.

Pretty much what everyone else has said. This is very normal behavior in a mmo. It is what some people do when they are bored in game, our they just want to be an annoyance to someone else for a laugh.

Btw, healing the mob....brilliant. Probably more annoying to never have the mob die than to just kill you and camp your corpse

Cause delivering insults of the non-rp type probably about the OP's parentage and sexual prefferences as well as skills with the game, is indeed what a decent player should do when encountering a player of the opposite faction on a pve server.

Did you read the OP's post? Here's what the OP said,

I called him names beginning with W, P, P, A, and a few others as well. Insulting his maturity, masculinity and intelligence.

The OP was the one initiating the /say flamewar which, in my view, makes me totally lose any sympathy over him being griefed. If you are being griefed you won't solve it by starting a war in /say with the guilty party.

Edited by Mannic

I suspect this is a troll, but in case it isn't, I will answer:

Are you asking about your behavior or his?

He wanted to get a reaction out of you. He was laughing his butt off, tears of laughter streaming from his eyes - all because of your reaction.

You made his day. Maybe his whole week.

Now, I deplore his behavior. I absolutely don't condone it in any way. He was a punk and he deserved to be reported for griefing.

However, if you had just ignored him, camped out for a couple minutes, gone to the bathroom, got a drink, ordered a pizza, watched a little TV, or god forbid, read a chapter of a book, then logged back in, that schmuck would have been miles away harassing some other poor slob.

Either way, I hope you did report him for griefing.

Net time, exercise some self control and resist the temptation to give them what they want. Ignore them and report them immediately. Leave that quest area and go to an area friendly to your faction - if he folows your guards will kill him.

My final thought is, assuming this is not a troll and this really is possible in this game (I have never tried it or seen it done), then such actions should be made impossible or they should auto-flag for PVP if someone tries to heal another player's engaged targets.

I was questioning his behaviour, and mentioned how deeply embarrased I became at my own.

I did ignore him for a while, but he stuck around.

I'm not a troll, it really did happen.

I did report him.

Next time I will switch instances (prior to writing this I didn't know it could be done), and tell him I will be reporting him straight away. It's been a valuble learning experience, up until today I was loving every minute of it. I became so utterly incensed by it because I didn't know what to do, wether this was accepted in MMOs, and was totally powerless to stop it.

one thing though, the guy who was healing the mobs you had aggressed should have been flagged for pvp because of this action. i'm not saying that he should have been flagged due to current game mechanics, but that BW should consider implementing this as a game mechanic.

but yeah, play on a pvp server. it's more fun anyway.

I agree he should have been flagged for PvP when this happened. I offered him a duel several times but he declined.

The reason I play on PvE is that I don't want this to happen.

Shouldn't HE be the one on PvP?

I agree he should have been flagged for PvP when this happened. I offered him a duel several times but he declined.

Yeah if he had any balls he would have flagged himself and just picked a fight.

I take it with you saying he was not flagged and he wasnt attacking you, that you are on a PvE server.

On a PvP server, this would be something that PvP could seetle it, and not much if anything will happen of you report him.

However, on a PvE server, this is something that can be reported as on a PvE server this is greifing.

No, this is not normal actions. But every MMO has its jerks in it.

Thanks for that, I feel re- assured.

If he put his pvp flag on, duelled you or moved to a pvp server then he would lose his chance to grief you without consequences.

By swearing at him and calling him names you probably made his day. He may well have taken a screenshot of the chatlog and proudly showed it to all his guildies.

However, the fact that he can heal your mobs is a flawed game mechanic. Should have been fixed in beta.

The best counter is to take a healer and repeatedly heal Republic NPCs that imperials are trying to kill, causing them to generate enough complaints and hatemail that BW fix the problem. Although you may get banned in the process, but hey, you will have made a valuable contribution to the development of the game!

Edited by Slightlycampana

In other MMO's I've played if you heal or buff another player or an NPC while the opposing faction is beating on it you instantly flag yourself for PvP. For BW not to have this in the game is an oversight.

It's pretty funny when someone doesn't realise it and all of a sudden they start getting beaten on :D

It's called "griefing", and it's a playstyle that is centered around ruining the experience of other players.

THe kind of behavior you are describing should be reported to a GM.

^ This. People do this because their own RLs are so sad and pathetic that they vent on in-game folks... knowing such behavior in RL would land them a broken jaw.