The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Not sure why some are saying they don't care or don't find it to be an issue. I mean that's cool. But why would you not want the best out of the game you love? The game you paid for. It's not even debatable, there is a higher setting not being used.

This is an issue at the very least should be addressed on here.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should have stopped this thread at this sentence. It's amazing.

Secondly, I don't see what the big deal is here. The game is gorgeous. My graphics appear high res. If they are in fact medium, then damn...it's still gorgeous.

You're all being extremely petty.

The character textures in this game look worse than WoW, LOTRO, Rift and pretty much any other modern P2P MMO that's come out in the last half a dozen years. It costs about the same amount of money as any other modern P2P MMO that's come out in the last half a dozen years. Even LOTRO, which is free to play now, boasted 4 texture settings (low, med, high, and a system-crippling ULTRA that very few computers could run at launch so the game could age well on newer hardware). High on LOTRO, not even that game's maximum setting, destroys the maximum available texture resolution that TOR currently offers. That's wrong. It's just bloody wrong.

TOR looks good... from far away. It's hard to connect to a character when you can almost count the texture pixels stretched horrendously over his armor. It's hard to connect to a character that looks like pea soup, especially when you control+click an item, click the companion tab to preview it on any of your companions, and see what the equipment is supposed to look like.

The game is live. The screenshots provided by BW and various media (likely also mostly provided by BW) show high resolution textures. The actual game looks like muddy garbage close up. There's no excuse for this. There's even less excuse to not comment on the issue, and on test server effectively "sweep away" the high res texture option by removing medium and making medium the new high.

I honestly feel like we're playing on "low" or something. Yes, the textures in most cutscenes do look a little better than the game world, but if you do the holocomm trick in your ship, or if you do the item preview on a companion, I'm fairly certain that those textures are even sharper (and better shaded) than what we see in the cutscenes. I feel almost like we're playing "two steps" down instead of just a single step.

Bumping for support. You can clearly see the difference in character textures by removing your equipment and using the holoterm in your ship trick.

Or do this.

IF YOU CTl+ click to PREVIEW YOUR GEAR ON YOUR COMPANION, IT IS IN HIGH REZ. SWITCH BACK ON YOUR CHARACTER AND IT'S LOW REZ LOL. SO NOW I PREVIEW ALL GEAR ON MY COMPANIONS MODEL.

Edited by WarheartZero

It won't fix this issue. There is no fix.

Everyone who uses twitter needs to send a tweet referencing this thread to Stephen Rheid so we can get a response on this, that is their chosen medium of communication.

https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw

I'm afraid this just goes on his work phone... last tweet friday 6pm...

He is probably playing the game right now on his uber insider setting with all high defs on... and not paying a dime for it

I have taken a screenshot of my character clearly showing the texture issue for those who think it is still just a lighting difference.

http://imageshack.us/f/12/swtorhightextures1.png/

I see the diff. in the color/lighting in the character but the back ground are the same look in both pix, if on is medium and the other high then why does the background look the same in both pix. Hate to say it but, it does just look like the lighting just brightens up one more then the other. But if it isnt and we were told we have high res then we better get high res.

I'm afraid this just goes on his work phone... last tweet friday 6pm...

and not paying a dime for it

Yeah and that's a problem? That is the perks of being a part of a developer team. I know for a fact GMs for Blizzard get indefinite game time and don't pay a dime for it.

I see the diff. in the color/lighting in the character but the back ground are the same look in both pix, if on is medium and the other high then why does the background look the same in both pix. Hate to say it but, it does just look like the lighting just brightens up one more then the other. But if it isnt and we were told we have high res then we better get high res.

Dude lightning doesn't affect the sharpness, nor does it create additional detail and bipmaps of the object. lighting aside, it quite obvious a texture issue. You are correct, the high rez issue is on characters, not scenery elements.

You can check yourself, do this:

CTL+ click to PREVIEW GEAR ON YOUR CHARACTER MODEL. NOW CHOOSE YOUR COMPANION. IT'S IN HIGH REZ ON YOUR COMPANIONS MODEL. SWITCH BACK TO YOUR CHARACTER, IT'S LOW REZ. NOW GO TO ALL THAT GEAR YOU THOUGHT LOOKED BAD AND PREVIEW IT ON YOUR COMPANION.

Edited by WarheartZero

Are you blind? there's a RED OUTLINE on where he wants you to compare and you look OUTSIDE the red square? :confused::confused: