Are Commandos Good Close Up?

RevansFollower

I know Vanguards are supposed to get close to be most effective, but can Commandos still do their max damage when mobs come in close?

I plan to take Elara with me to level, her being the healing companion, and that means everyone is going to attack me. So those mobs that have melee weapons will need to charge me and get up in my face.

So what, am I obligated to have my companion tank so I can be at range 100% of the time, or am I good?

I know Vanguards are supposed to get close to be most effective, but can Commandos still do their max damage when mobs come in close?

I plan to take Elara with me to level, her being the healing companion, and that means everyone is going to attack me. So those mobs that have melee weapons will need to charge me and get up in my face.

So what, am I obligated to have my companion tank so I can be at range 100% of the time, or am I good?

No.

Your best attacks as a commando are ranged AoEs, that's why you see the smart Siths in WZs rushing Commandos and not standing around waiting for Mortar Volley or anything else that we use to attack ppl to land. If you get rushed by Inks, it's kinda over because even if they don't stun you to death, you only really have two things to get them off of you:

Cryo (four secs and then they force leap onto you)

Concussion (which slows them but not for long)

If you are talking about PvE only, then Commando is more than adequate to level.. easy even.

Just send your tank (preferrably Tanno) into mobs and back up. Once they get a group around them then you can use the Pyro Grenade which stuns them and in that time follow with Mortar Volley or the spreading fire skill (forget the name). You can even use Yuun later for this because the AoE kills most mobs pretty quick.

Usually you will kill everything other than Elites pretty darn quick.

No.

Your best attacks as a commando are ranged AoEs, that's why you see the smart Siths in WZs rushing Commandos and not standing around waiting for Mortar Volley or anything else that we use to attack ppl to land. If you get rushed by Inks, it's kinda over because even if they don't stun you to death, you only really have two things to get them off of you:

Cryo (four secs and then they force leap onto you)

Concussion (which slows them but not for long)

If you are talking about PvE only, then Commando is more than adequate to level.. easy even.

Just send your tank (preferrably Tanno) into mobs and back up. Once they get a group around them then you can use the Pyro Grenade which stuns them and in that time follow with Mortar Volley or the spreading fire skill (forget the name). You can even use Yuun later for this because the AoE kills most mobs pretty quick.

Usually you will kill everything other than Elites pretty darn quick.

So does that mean I do need a tank? I am fine with that, but no healer companion is a little disappointing for me lol. And for reference, the only thing I will play is solo PVE for leveling, then worry about endgame. Are my healing abilities, not specced, good enough for my class quests/solo quests? I'm basically figuring out which advanced class is "easier" and more fun to level.

No.

Umm, no they're not.

Grav Rounds, Full Auto, HiB, Demolition Round, etc. are the Gunnery Commando's highest hitting attacks. In both PvP and PvE, these are the attacks you want to hit your enemies with. Grav Rounds and Full Auto rip off chunks of health, and HiB and Demolition Round are your finishers.

Unless there's a good chunk of enemies in the same area, our AoE's are just not worth it. The smarter players will move out of the AoE and you also become a huge target.

Just laugh and keep hitting any melee classes attacking you with some CC and more Grav Rounds-- they'll die pretty quickly.

NOTE: I'm not saying we're GOOD at close range, I'm just saying that we don't just lose all of our effectiveness if that does happen.

Edited by JaspahX