Selecting Need for your companion

pseaton

I agree with the threadstarter here. I've also needed some things for my comps, altho I always wait and see if someone else needs first, or I ask the group if its okay, if its not I dont...

One shouldn't thought of as an idiot for needing an item for ones comp if noone else in the group needs it first.

The true idiots are the one that needs everything...

This is acceptable. Stating it prior to starting the flashpoint? I've no problem with that. However, needing on everything (even when everyone else is rolling greed making it clear they do not want to wear it) makes you look like an greedy ******e that abuses the need button to get the drops, though I do not mean you specifically.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need roll for my companion....I'm a full healer, I need a tank gear for my wookie...i tell the players I will roll for blue/green upgrades for my companion (I dont need gear for most slots as I'm and he is in near full OJ setups)...but at times I will roll. If they DONT like it, go back to the LF Healer for X quest that I CAN SOLO WITHOUT YOU! Thats right...the difference is YOU need me, I dont need you....Typically your just taking xp away from me as well as my drops and my credits :)

No. Need for companion is need for companion. Greed is vendor or sell on the AH. Naturally players go before companions, but companions go before the credits.

Why would someone go to flashpoint for group play to gear solo play.... play solo to gear solo isnt there presence to boost companion stats or dmg

Leave companions and gear for them outside of group play

I need roll for my companion....I'm a full healer, I need a tank gear for my wookie...i tell the players I will roll for blue/green upgrades for my companion (I dont need gear for most slots as I'm and he is in near full OJ setups)...but at times I will roll. If they DONT like it, go back to the LF Healer for X quest that I CAN SOLO WITHOUT YOU! Thats right...the difference is YOU need me, I dont need you....Typically your just taking xp away from me as well as my drops and my credits :)

Good to remind us there there are still egoistic people around way too many...

No we don't need you, not with that atitude. When there is a deficit of healers, guilds will simply agree to reroll some healers. Then you with your atitude will be stuck with puging end game content, good luck with that. No one is irreplaceable.

Edited by jellOfish

Why would someone go to flashpoint for group play to gear solo play.... play solo to gear solo isnt there presence to boost companion stats or dmg

Leave companions and gear for them outside of group play

Because it's something that makes a difference to their game. Companions are important. You will never get enough credits to justify vendoring an item that you can't use over giving it to someone's companion, unless we are talking rare patterns or BoE worth tens of thousands of credits.

If you do, then you are greedy, and that's what the button is for. We do need a 'need for companion'-button. It would also be good if people were prevented from needing stuff they couldn't use.... and if BoE that are needed on turn into BoP. You did say you needed it after all.

For anyone just now tuning in -- real people naturally need before companions do.

Edited by Eegorr

Because it's something that makes a difference to their game. Companions are important. You will never get enough credits to justify vendoring an item that you can't use over giving it to someone's companion, unless we are talking rare patterns or BoE worth tens of thousands of credits.

If you do, then you are greedy, and that's what the button is for. We do need a 'need for companion'-button. It would also be good if people were prevented from needing stuff they couldn't use.... and if BoE that are needed on turn into BoP. You did say you needed it after all.

For anyone just now tuning in -- real people naturally need before companions do.

Best thing would be to restrict all gear from group play flashpoints and raids player equip only that way everything is solved permanent and crybabies go back to gearing companions from 1000 sources that are in game

I didnt need a single item from flashpoint for my companions half of my companions are geared as when i first got them (droids, tanno Vik and Yunn ) Only my healer is getting gear and Aric is geared cos it was 1st.

And guess what i will gear Elara Dorne aka healer with pvp gear in this weekend full pvp set and no crying in flashpoints!

Or go solo flashpoints for orange gear and buy mods

Edited by Alcarinn

Best thing would be to restrict all gear from group play flashpoints and raids player equip only that way everything is solved permanent and crybabies go back to gearing companions from 1000 sources that are in game

I disagree. Best thing would be to add a 'need for companions'-button. There is no need 'not' to use flashpoint gear for your companions as long as no one else needs it.

I disagree. Best thing would be to add a 'need for companions'-button. There is no need 'not' to use flashpoint gear for your companions as long as no one else needs it.

There is no REAL need to use that gear to gear up companion Companions do great even in green/blue gear from questing you only need them for ilum dailies and so on which is doable without flashpoint gear

I usually wait with clicking anything until everyone else does, then as last one if no one needed it but I want it for my companion I click need. Some still get mad about it.

But who cares? There are few who get mad even if you pick proper items for your own use, as I once choose with my Marauder a strength/endurance saber ( athiss fusion-core) both because its the correct one for a Marauder and also because I love how it looks an other player, a Juggernaut made a big deal out of it on how I dared to need it when I am no "tank" (seriously hate the mmo talk) and /ignored me.

The issue is flashpoints items look most of the time the best, and are most of the time moddable. Even if a character chooses an armor that is not the most correct one for its class (as in the Talon Sniper's Jacket in that flashpoint for a Sith Warrior) that doesn't mean the player doesn't intend to use it for himself once the modifications in the item are replaced for more fitting ones.

In the end, no matter what one does there will always be complains, and I really don't want to see the flashpoint items end up restricted as well when I loved that example Jacket to be worn in beta for a looong time (over 20 levels) on my warrior. I also have worn the full set of Hammer Station red medium armor now for a while then modified it and have Vette wear it, she looks great in it.

Give people like this the power of dual specc and enjoy youre gameplay.....

There is no REAL need to use that gear to gear up companion Companions do great even in green/blue gear from questing you only need them for ilum dailies and so on which is doable without flashpoint gear

Maybe doable, but an upgrade is still an upgrade. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree on this.

The issue is flashpoints items look most of the time the best, and are most of the time moddable. Even if a character chooses an armor that is not the most correct one for its class (as in the Talon Sniper's Jacket in that flashpoint for a Sith Warrior) that doesn't mean the player doesn't intend to use it for himself once the modifications in the item are replaced for more fitting ones.

Valid point but isn't the player then only needing for the texture of the armor while other might just as well use it right away without having to buy mods? Did you check how expensive high level mods are at the GTN? I think the player that wants the armor for the stats gets more use out of it then the player who just wants the armor for the looks.

Character>Companion>vendor or GTN

It is pretty simple, have 3 buttons, a Need, Companion and greed button. Only allow people who can benefit from the stats on an item be able to roll need. Anyone can roll companion or greed depending. However, greed probably won't be used since there will be people who roll companion no matter what.

Character>Companion>vendor or GTN

It is pretty simple, have 3 buttons, a Need, Companion and greed button. Only allow people who can benefit from the stats on an item be able to roll need. Anyone can roll companion or greed depending. However, greed probably won't be used since there will be people who roll companion no matter what.

BioWare I hope you're taking notes. If you don't patch this by tomorrow I will unsub - lol j/k

Valid point but isn't the player then only needing for the texture of the armor while other might just as well use it right away without having to buy mods? Did you check how expensive high level mods are at the GTN? I think the player that wants the armor for the stats gets more use out of it then the player who just wants the armor for the looks.

What if I just hate how armor looks like that they assume the class my character has should/would wear? I gathered a whole set of Athiss armor appropriate for my class then I took the mods out of it and now I use them in my Inspiration armor set because I like that more, and sold the empty armor. There is a reason for flashpoint items not being restricted, often I find that what other classes would use by default look much better and would fit my character better in my opinion.

Then again, as I said when I want something I wait until I am the last to decide, and only then click need. Complains after that are really just childish.

Btw, I disagree with you, those who choose for the looks gain more from it, especially if planning to wear the items for long/forever, as moddable items you get later also grant better mods in them, so those who go for only stats can just ignore the looks anyway, but you can also just use mods from better gears in older/preferred armor later just as well.

Edited by joriandrake

My idea is a separate loot option for companions. If player rolls need on something, then the companion can't equip it. If the player rolls Need (companion) then only the companion can equip it, and players will always have priority over a companion roll.

What if I just hate how armor looks like that they assume the class my character has should/would wear? I gathered a whole set of Athiss armor appropriate for my class then I took the mods out of it and now I use them in my Inspiration armor set because I like that more, and sold the empty armor. There is a reason for flashpoint items not being restricted, often I find that what other classes would use by default look much better and would fit my character better in my opinion.

Then again, as I said when I want something I wait until I am the last to decide, and only then click need. Complains after that are really just childish.

Btw, I disagree with you, those who choose for the looks gain more from it, especially if planning to wear the items for long/forever, as moddable items you get later also grant better mods in them, so those who go for only stats can just ignore the looks anyway, but you can also just use mods from better gears in older/preferred armor later just as well.

I did not say they should restrict items to classes. All I said is that I think the person who wants to use the armor for the stats gets more use out of it than the person who wants it just for the looks.

If you want some armor just for the looks then you have no problem farming low lvl FPs or making a group purely for this purpose. There's no reason to shaft other people simply because someone wants to look differently. And again, I did not mean specifically you since you stated you only need when no one else does.

And ofc you are free to disagree with me. However, the people who want the armor for stats obviously do not have the cash to get better mods or buy a whole new armor on the GTN. Whereas you do, so what's stopping you from running those instances later by yourself? This way you don't screw over other who actually need to gear at that moment to make them more effective just because you want to look better.

Edited by jellOfish

I did not say they should restrict items to classes. All I said is that I think the person who wants to use the armor for the stats gets more use out of it than the person who wants it just for the looks.

If you want some armor just for the looks then you have no problem farming low lvl FPs or making a group purely for this purpose. There's no reason to shaft other people simply because someone wants to look differently. And again, I did not mean specifically you since you stated you only need when no one else does.

I know, what I said wasn't specifically directed at you either. :)

There are people however who would restrict loot, to not even be able to need an item that is not for your class or similar, those restrictions are absurd, because as said one could not just need an item for your companions use but also for your own once you replace mods in it.

I dont really see the big problem here... If sticking to OP, and keeping in mind normal code of conduct, needing for comp is really no big deal. If a player asks the group when an item drops that a comp can use, and has better stats then the one its wearing, and the they dont mind, whats the problem? If for instance a heavy armor chest pice drops with STR and my tank comp has a lower item, and no one else in the group need that item, whats the harm?

Take two seconds to ask first, and everyone walks away happy :)

I know, what I said wasn't specifically directed at you either. :)

There are people however who would restrict loot, to not even be able to need an item that is not for your class or similar, those restrictions are absurd, because as said one could not just need an item for your companions use but also for your own once you replace mods in it.

I agree, those restrictions are indeed absurd and an example of handholding. I dunno what happened to the gaming community, it used to be different and no such things were necessary :/

In my opinion, yes it is wrong. I can state as fact that this is considered bad behavior by the majority of players, which is a separate issue as to whether it's wrong. I will put this as simply as concisely as I can.

Raiding and grouping contains an element of give-and-take. You put in your skills and time, and you get out a reward. The loot you get from a flashpoint is your reward for contributing your abilities and skills. Your companion did not help to complete the flashpoint, therefore your companion should not share in the spoils of the flashpoint over another player who did help complete it, and by doing so helped everyone get the rewards of the flashpoint, whatever those might be.

Secondly, people generally run instances multiple times to get gear. If everyone only needs on what they actually use, and lets the rest go, mathematically everyone will get all the gear they need and be out of the instance in the quickest amount of time. I've actually written a little program to test this. Once you start adding in people needing on things they don't need, assuming everyone keeps doing the instance to get x amount of gear, the total amount of runs everyone needs begins to rise sharply. Only needing on things you need is part of a "social contract" that, when followed, results in speedy gear gain for everyone, even if on a particular run you may get nothing. This is what people don't understand who argue that "you can benefit from the money" or similar. By not adhering to this simple social propriety, you hurt not only everyone else but yourself as well. It has nothing to do with entitlement. The first time you start having to do raids over and over to get an item so that you can do even higher level raids, you realize its in everyone's best interest to cooperate so you have to repeat the same content as few times as possible. Sometimes this means you let other people have items even though you could need on them, and hopefully in the future the will reciprocate.

Keep in mind, companions do fine with quested or crafted or pvp or commendation gear, even when it's not the best. When you need on something you yourself don't use for flashpoints, you may have just consigned the trooper across from you to running the instance another 5 times to get that hat he wanted. Is your computer-controlled companion really more important than him?

In any case it's always best to ask your group if you're not sure what's okay, and if you run a group to set the rules ahead of time. In WoW my rules were simple: I master-loot everything and you can't roll need on things you can't use. Works beautifully. So far in TOR I have said the same thing and never had a problem with any player: "Need on items you yourself can use. Need for a companion without asking and you're kicked." but in nicer words.

What he said. And because what do you say when your PC really needs that gear and a toon in you group that can't use it rolls need because 'I'm broke, I NEED to sell it." Ask before even going thru the door when the group is forming. At times, I just want to beat the end, I don't even care about the loot. BUT..if you get a group where everyone is rolling need for everything needed or not (been there) you're a fool not to also.

when you take down a mob as a group, every person in the group has an equal right to the reward. it doesn't matter who can use the reward better or who needs it more. if you can't use it you can sell it. wanting it for your companion has no less merit than wanting to wear it yourself. if you are in a guild and you agree that certain pieces will go to certain players for the good of the overall guild then that is one thing and it has nothing to do with morality, but in a pick up group where you all go your separate ways at the end it is every man for himself and there is nothing immoral about that.

Which is why the default Greed option exists. If no one rolls need on that piece of gear, everyone has that equal shot.

However, if someone in the Flashpoint needs an item for their player character - not their companions - that is what the Need option is for. It exists as that third option so that your only options aren't "roll" and "pass". Say people actually WANT the tank to get the best Tank gear, but want a shot at it just in case the tank doesn't actually need it. That's what Need is for.

No one really needs blues and up for anything other than Flashpoints. Questing Greens are all you need to get by on both yourself and companions. What good will giving your companions Flashpoint gear do, really? Companions don't get talent trees, get a very limited set of abilities that caps out at level 35, and are basically worth half a character. The difference between proper-leveled greens and blues is not going to give you that much of an edge. The only reason for keeping companions in blues is vanity - which is why the Greed option is appropriate.

On a player character, however, Flashpoint gear is exceptional and makes a large difference. Flashpoint gear is designed to be gear that players can wear all the way up to their next flashpoint and still be good to adequate. Flashpoint gear, being meant for use IN flashpoints, means that companions have no good reason to use it unless no one can use a certain piece. This is why the Greed option exists: if a dupe drops, and you don't know it's a dupe, you don't have to pass when you didn't have to.