Whats up with all the Bioware hate?

Allagash

Ive been reading across the forums and all i see is people complaining/whining about the game. Some guy in the crew skills forum said he cancelled his sub because of the slicing nerf. Seriously?

Ive been playing MMO's for over 10 years now, i have been around for several game launches. Not one of them has gone as smooth as biowares launch of ToR. Just because most of you are spoiled because of a game being out 5+ years and loads of content doesnt make it a comparison for a game thats been out all of 3 weeks. I think they have done a fine job at the game, granted their are a few bugs and i'm sure in time they will get ironed out.

WoW had major server problems for weeks on launch. AC2 had a tremendous amount of bugs and gltches, way more than this game. Shadowbane was even worse, it was fun to pvp but there was no content for months! I wont even get into to Warhammer, which was a giant mess.

I saw someone complaining about high end content. Well good for you hitting 50 in 3 days, most of the world doesnt sit by a computer for 18 hours a day playing Tor to hit 50 in 3 days and then complain about the endgame content. They have a few raids and high end instances, again the game is 3 WEEKS OLD. What other game on launch had over two raids and several high end content? WoW had MC but it wasnt accessable or completeable for months after launch. LOTRO had ONE raid and ONE high end instance. Shadowbane had no content. AC2 had no content at launch. Seriously people this game isnt perfect but its a far cry better than anything else ive played at launch.

Be patient, give it time. Bioware are humans just like you and me. Fixes take time and effort. Go get some fresh air in the meantime. This isnt WoW, this isnt DAOC, this is Star Wars the Old Republic and they have done a fine job and providing you with a playable game with loads of content upon launch and have addressed some concerns within a 3 week window. Give them some credit.

Agree with the sentiment, but disagree on a couple points:

1) Bioware needs to be more responsive to its community and actively discuss how it is addressing our most important concerns.

2) While I am not level 50 yet, I can see why people gripe about end game content -- the leveling in the game is quite fast, and it does not take a massive time investment to hit max level. I have played, on average, 1-2 hours a day and I am well into my 30s.

I do agree that they handled the launch well and that the game has been playable and stable for most people.

Edited by ThreeKingdoms

I don't hate Bioware and don't really hate this game.

It's pretty much what I expected it to be.

I hope some can enjoy this for years to come because I just don't see it happening for me.

It feels like I'm playing a old game at some points.

Agree with the sentiment, but disagree on a couple points:

1) Bioware needs to be more responsive to its community and actively discuss how it is addressing our most important concerns.

2) While I am not level 50 yet, I can see why people gripe about end game content -- the leveling in the game is quite fast, and it does not take a massive time investment to hit max level. I have played, on average, 1-2 hours a day and I am well into my 30s.

I do agree that they handled the launch well and that the game has been playable and stable for most people.

I see your points about leveling fast, indeed leveling is moving along quite nicely.

What i was trying to propose is there are things for level 50's to do, unlike other games 3 weeks into launch had none.

To the person that said they fell off the grid. Two weeks is hardly something to complain about. Several other games have had server outages for several days at a time. At least you got to play. The game isnt going to be finished, its meant to be playable and its exactly that. In a few months im sure you will have content patches, hell im sure its already made their just waiting to implement it.

let me be the first to welcome you to the internet Allagash, where ************ is a competitive sport. Where Men are Men, Women are Men, and the Children are FBI agents.

As part of your introduction package I would advise you to stay away from Reddit, /B/, and Fark and the like until you have developed more of a tolerance to the intellectual sewage the flows through the pipes of the internet.

Enjoy your stay :D

The only complaint I have is terrible customer support. You can not call them for certain types of customer support. You must make an in game ticket. you get an answer to the ticket after 72 hours that tells you to call the customer support number that sends you to an automated message to submit an in game ticket.....

This was going to happen even if the game was better than it is, due to unrealistic expectations that this was going to be some "perfect" game. This was really prevalent once all the pre-CU SWG folks realized this wasn't going to be SWG2.

Of course, the game is far from perfect, so that just magnifies the disappointment.

Some guy in the crew skills forum said he cancelled his sub because of the slicing nerf. Seriously?

I saw that and just LOL'd. Is anyone going to miss him, or anyone like him?

Ive been reading across the forums and all i see is people complaining/whining about the game. Some guy in the crew skills forum said he cancelled his sub because of the slicing nerf. Seriously?

Ive been playing MMO's for over 10 years now, i have been around for several game launches. Not one of them has gone as smooth as biowares launch of ToR. Just because most of you are spoiled because of a game being out 5+ years and loads of content doesnt make it a comparison for a game thats been out all of 3 weeks. I think they have done a fine job at the game, granted their are a few bugs and i'm sure in time they will get ironed out.

WoW had major server problems for weeks on launch. AC2 had a tremendous amount of bugs and gltches, way more than this game. Shadowbane was even worse, it was fun to pvp but there was no content for months! I wont even get into to Warhammer, which was a giant mess.

I saw someone complaining about high end content. Well good for you hitting 50 in 3 days, most of the world doesnt sit by a computer for 18 hours a day playing Tor to hit 50 in 3 days and then complain about the endgame content. They have a few raids and high end instances, again the game is 3 WEEKS OLD. What other game on launch had over two raids and several high end content? WoW had MC but it wasnt accessable or completeable for months after launch. LOTRO had ONE raid and ONE high end instance. Shadowbane had no content. AC2 had no content at launch. Seriously people this game isnt perfect but its a far cry better than anything else ive played at launch.

Be patient, give it time. Bioware are humans just like you and me. Fixes take time and effort. Go get some fresh air in the meantime. This isnt WoW, this isnt DAOC, this is Star Wars the Old Republic and they have done a fine job and providing you with a playable game with loads of content upon launch and have addressed some concerns within a 3 week window. Give them some credit.

Alot of the Bioware hate is actually misplaced. A lot of things people don't like is probably not Biowares fault. Don't get me wrong some is. However, Mythic who developed Warhammer Online (we all know how that went) was brought over to Bioware to "help" with this game.

Who had more experience designing mmos?

A. Mythic

B. Bioware

The answer is obviously A.

That is why your seeing some of the same bugs and mistakes that were and still are in Warhammer Online.

The truth is EA looked to Mythic because they had some experience in this sort of thing.

List of similar bugs in Warhammer and TOR:

Ability delay

Faction balance

Class balance

Weapons not drawn/put away

Buggy stuttering mobs in pve

Getting hung up on environment (rocks, tables etc.)

Effect graphics not going away (pc stays glowing green after heal etc.)

Auction house

Crafting poorly thought out.

You get the idea I won't go on but there are alot more that are eerily similar. For me I still love Biowares games.

Edited by Errrkill