The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Let this be a lesson to every single games developer

shinyelf

Every good game of the past raises the bar for the ones to come. It's not just MMOs, it's every game, it's the gaming industry. It's what gaming is all about. The closer a game gets to a true immersive experience without flaws, the better it is. UO was PVP. EQ was raiding and community. Lineage 2 kind of brought back hardcore PVP for awhile. The grind was too great. SWG was bringing groundbreaking graphics that were supposed to extend 5-10 years beyond its time and was the first real Star Wars MMO. It was cool for awhile, but overall failed.

PS1 comes out, blows minds of everyone who had a SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X etc. PS2 comes out and blows the minds of people who had PS1s. PS3 comes out, and no one gives a ****, because Sony took too long, charged too much and everyone's already on Xbox 360. Improvement, improvement, improvement.

People don't want to see half-assed jobs anymore. We don't care if it just came out. How long was the project in development? How long was it beta testing for? And this is what we get? That's what goes through the minds of logical people. We don't want excuses, we want results. You can't blame us for that. It only makes sense. Gamers as a whole are becoming more and more unforgiving because we've dealt with the let-downs way too many times. Yeah people ***** in every game, but it's not always called for. People *****ed like crazy in WoW when it first came out. You know how many people quit the game due to getting spawn camped in PVP despite ROLLING on a PVP server? It was hilarious.

This, however was supposed to be an enormous release that people waited years for. A Star Wars MMO is not just any game. It's one of the most renowned intellectual properties in the world. You expect more. Especially when THIS game is the largest funded video game to ever be made in the history of our lifetimes.

I find very little to disagree with in your post. I wasn't blaming anybody. Well except for those that complain that SWTOR is too much like WoW because it has xxxxxx in it, and those that rage at anyone that wants xxxxxxx feature in SWTOR because WoW has that feature.

I'm a SWTOR supporter. I want this game to do well. I want it to do very well. I just realize that it's not going to do well if it shies away from adding features that mmo gamers have clearly shown are hugely popular just because said feature/features showed they're huge popularity in WoW.

Edited by Umbral

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not fair to compare it to wow in its current state, no. Or is it? Clearly many mmos that come out now, even the korean ones, copy aspects of wow. This one is no exception. Yet they fail to copy all the things that made it good, despite spending way more money on it than blizzard did on their product originally. Why is that? Because there's fools behind the wheel of the project that need to be canned and replaced immediately aka: The remnants of mythic, and that james running the project. They'll never admit it, but it's more than likely that they're to blame.

This game feels a lot like star trek online did in the first month of release. Even that game wasn't as broken as this mechanically or as sluggish of a combat system, but it was totally imbalanced in pvp, and lacking in content. It used the city of heroes engine, which let's be honest, despite being old as hell still looks way better than this hero engine garbage, but we all know what happened to that game, and dc universe online, and many other games before them. I predict this game is headed in the same direction. 6 months, 250k subscribers or less. Servers being shutdown and merged to save money due to population dwindling on the majority of each individual server besides the ones housing the largest guilds. I'd ordinarily have high hopes, but the engine is so terrible, it'd be a coding nightmare to repair all the problems. They're probably realizing now how big a mistake it was to let a no-name company develope their engine when they could've used something far more optimized for modern tech and easier to use such as the crytek 3 engine.

That's just my belief though. Take it with a grain of salt like everything else. I'm starting to believe the star wars ip is just cursed as a whole when it comes to putting it in mmo form. People should just stop trying.

Oh yeah. I had to edit this post to add this hilarious quote. You guys might get a kick out of it if you haven't read it already. I remember reading up on the hero engine before i got into early access. It said something along the lines of "the hero engine is capable of supporting up to 100,000 players in a single zone." as i read it, i could just picture george takei doing his "woooooooooooooow" from the tv commercials rofl. Then you get to the imperial fleet with 180-200+ people, and it's like "........"

what?

Edited by Paralassa
bad content quote

I find very little to disagree with in your post. I wasn't blaming anybody. Well except for those that complain that SWTOR is too much like WoW because it has xxxxxx in it, and those that rage at anyone that wants xxxxxxx feature in SWTOR because WoW has that feature.

I'm a SWTOR supporter. I want this game to do well. I want it to do very well. I just realize that it's not going to do well if it shies away from adding features that mmo gamers have clearly shown are hugely popular just because said feature/features showed they're huge popularity in WoW.

Honestly, I want to believe Bioware can do it. I think they just have to change their game plan to be more practical. For instance, they might have to shy away from so much voice acting. It will slow new content having to record so much in studios. It should've only been done for Story missions, in my opinion, and that's if they really insisted on keeping it. They also need to drop some deadweight on the development team. I don't like the project director for this game at all. I've heard some of the things he's said, and from what I've gathered his words state that he's developing this game based on what he believes a game should've had in the 1990's. It shows. He's obsessed with that generation so much, that I wonder how long it'll be before we start hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit playing from every cantina juke box.

The other thing is, I do not trust the scrapped developers they picked up from the Warhammer Online team. I believe the people responsible for that game should never be allowed to work in the field again, and if they take part in developing the infrastructure of this game, it's going to suffer the same fate. There was literally nothing good in that game, but I know that's opinion. Some poor bastard out there might've thought WO was a dream come true. I sure as hell didn't though.

Only time will tell. I came into this game with low expectations because I knew it was Bioware's first try at a MMO and they have an impeccable record in single player games as long as you disregard Dragon Age 2. I was originally under the impression for some reason that they were making their own engine from scratch though. I don't know why. Then I met the Hero Engine. This game exceeded my expectations as a single player game, but it utterly failed to meet them as a massive multiplayer. Does that make sense?

Edited by Vinushka