Sawbones is not fun to level

dmanlong

That's because there isn't gear that's moddable for them unless you are either lucky or like to roll need over other people in dungeons for your companion's loot.

I'm not doing it wrong, I just didn't have the moddable gear to do it with. You can't afford the 10-14 commendations for moddable gear for your companions if you only get 20 or so commendations from a given planet. Commendations barely pay for gear for yourself until you are well into the game, by then you'll nearly have Risha anyways. By the time I got Risha, Corso (who I used exclusively) only had 3 orange pieces of gear, all purchased with commendations, but not as well maintained because of how expensive the orange pieces are to begin with. Once I got Risha I was able to keep both of us up to date on mods and enhancements with decent armoring levels all the way to 50 with commendations.

So like I said back when I originally posted, you should aim to use a companion that uses your gear so you can easily get them into moddable gear without having to pay a ton on the GTN for oranges or spend an extra hour per planet doing the pointless bonus series for enough commendations for one orange for your companion.

sigh

firstly you can only have 6 moddable bits on your companion. moddable belts and bracers will all have class names on them and companions are classless

weaopn, helm, chest, hands, legs, feet. that's it

pvp a bit and by 20 your companion andyourself have moddable armor and feet

you get a moddable blaster as early as level 6. any others you find - and you'll find a ton - give to corso. or use bowdarr when you get him - he comes with a moddable vibrosword. keep upgrading it.

you can us any orange piece of moddable gear off the ah and fill it with mods or swap the mods out. you dont have to buy the commendation mod gear at all. if you use bowdaar he's the cheapest since jedi crap drops like mad in this game. he uses strength based heavy armor. check your gtn's right now - 80% of the heavy armor listed is strength based and dirt cheap at all levels. even the moddable stuff.

it's easy and cheap to get either corso or bowdaar in moddable gear by 20. after that you spend commendations on mods only prioritizing armoring mods for your companion, then dps goodies for yourself.

by 50 i have an entire cargo hold slot filled with orange heavy and medium armor and weapons i have found as drops or quest rewards. corso doesnt have to use a rifle - give him a pistol. are you a biochem? Make them cheap green implants. cybertech? then it's even easier to keep them in mods.

dont go beyond 25 points in sawbones - it's a waste for levelling. not until our two broken talents (i include the lackluster kolto cloud which heals for only 100 points over the same duration at level 50 as a single slow release medpack) are fixed. go with a hybrid - the rest of the points into either scrapper or dirty fighting which ever floats your boat

i have had an EASIER time levelling as sawbones with corso all the way to 50 than i did with my vanguard + elara. i used bowdaar a bit when i first got him and i could see that keepoing him geared would be easiest of all - jedi crap drops more than anyting else in this game including strength based heavy armor. but corso's harpoon and malcom reynolds witty repertoire won out in the end. the harpoon with proper control lets me deal with single patrols and other bits - including lightspring - in a manner that bowdaar cant handle.

you dont need to spend thta 210k right at level 40 for the 100% speeder training. the 90% speeder is all you need until 50. as you get closer to 50 you make more money than you know what to do with so dont fret about being a miser in the early levels.

Edited by Corran

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't PVP so no help there. That shouldn't be 'the' reason you can gear up a companion anyway.

Regardless, I was doing exactly what you are saying to do, but I couldn't afford to do it until I was using a companion with the same gear as me. I explained exactly why in my previous post.

I agree with 25 points being best for leveling and using your last points to fill the remainder of sawbones once you fill the other 2 trees, but don't discount Kolto Cloud. It's not as good as it should be, but it's quite nice especially if you are running a melee group. Move into melee range and 1 button and 30 energy heals a LOT of damage.

Edited by Maxvla

I don't PVP so no help there. That shouldn't be 'the' reason you can gear up a companion anyway.

Regardless, I was doing exactly what you are saying to do, but I couldn't afford to do it until I was using a companion with the same gear as me. I explained exactly why in my previous post.

I agree with 25 points being best for leveling and using your last points to fill the remainder of sawbones once you fill the other 2 trees, but don't discount Kolto Cloud. It's not as good as it should be, but it's quite nice especially if you are running a melee group. Move into melee range and 1 button and 30 energy heals a LOT of damage.

kolto cloud is garbage. the HOT portion of the seer aoe heal they get at 40 does more healing than kolto cloud. it's a waste of a talent point and a waste of energy. if it didnt suck so bad we wouldnt have trouble healing huge aoe damage encounters in the heroic modes as we do now

melee groups are a liability on a lot of fights.

Edited by Corran