The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is this a good Skill Tree use for A Shield Powertech?

zferolie

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGdbRroTZMsbM.1

I was just going thru thinking what I would do. While I have played WoW for about 6 months, I am still a bit of a beginner in deciding good use of skill points. Here for example, I want something thats Good PVE and PVP, that can be a very effective tank while not taking away too much DPS. I don't like Heat Blast, it seems like a lack luster skill for a last attack. I love skills that cool down, so I took Advanced Tools. Is Oil slick good? It seems that a 20% drop could be good, but that could mean they still always hit. I have 1 more point left, thinking of putting it in Retractable Blade or Rebraced Armor.

I'd personally drop the 3 points out of steely resolve (what you want to be doing is surviving and controlling the battle, not so much DPS) and put 1 point in Rebraced Armor (8% more armor rating) and 2 points in Hitman (will lower the cooldown on quell to 6 seconds). Quell is extremely useful, especially if you're a tank. I'd say the cooldown on quell is even more useful then the 9% aim, for PvP.

I'd personally drop the 3 points out of steely resolve (what you want to be doing is surviving and controlling the battle, not so much DPS) and put 1 point in Rebraced Armor (8% more armor rating) and 2 points in Hitman (will lower the cooldown on quell to 6 seconds). Quell is extremely useful, especially if you're a tank. I'd say the cooldown on quell is even more useful then the 9% aim, for PvP.

I know DPS is not important for a tank, but being able to do some is important right? How much DPS do I lose not having any points in that?

Now what exactly does Quell do? And I should put a point in Retractable blade as well right?

I know DPS is not important for a tank, but being able to do some is important right? How much DPS do I lose not having any points in that?

Now what exactly does Quell do? And I should put a point in Retractable blade as well right?

This is what I go with:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RMurbzroZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Huge survivability and very good dps. I mean fights that were done in Full ST compared to ST/Pyro are over so much faster now.

Quell is your interupt. Eh the CD on it is ok, and 2seconds to me isn't gonna break me.

If you go into ST that far, don't get heat blast, get RB instead.

This is what I go with:

Huge survivability and very good dps. I mean fights that were done in Full ST compared to ST/Pyro are over so much faster now.

Quell is your interupt. Eh the CD on it is ok, and 2seconds to me isn't gonna break me.

I see. It looks pretty good. The only thing I am wondering is that you would have to change your cylinders alot. Ion is for shield while... the fire one is for Pyro. And Isn't Prototype cylinders very good? Boosts damage and other things alot.

I see. It looks pretty good. The only thing I am wondering is that you would have to change your cylinders alot. Ion is for shield while... the fire one is for Pyro. And Isn't Prototype cylinders very good? Boosts damage and other things alot.

You never change c's. Just stay in tanking, IGC. Yes you "waste" 3 points, but your wasting them to get superheater rail, which is amazing.

You never change c's. Just stay in tanking, IGC. Yes you "waste" 3 points, but your wasting them to get superheater rail, which is amazing.

Hmm, I see. 2 ranks of superheated rail and 2 ranks of puncture makes you ignore all armor. Not bad at all. That does seem very good. If only there was enough skill points to finish up Ion Overload and get Supercharged Ion Gas, and maybe put 1 more rank in no escape. Those 3 points to just get Superheated rail does hurt, but may be worth it...

EDIT: Well, you can take a point form Prototype partical Acc and a point from Ablative Upgrades to get Ion Overload and Supercharged Ion Gas. Not exactly sure what Ablative Upgrades does anyway...

Edited by zferolie

This is what I go with:

The 2 seconds on quell is a big difference on holding off a healer. It doesn't seem like it should, until you are actually doing it in pvp. Also, the build you posted is no longer a tank even. You don't get the movement slow down from ion cell, you don't have guarnteed root from grapple, you don't have oil slick, you waste 3 points for 3% endurance (basically 3% more hp), 2 points to just give rail shot a 6% damage boost (when puncture isn't even finished), and yes, of course you waste 3 points on combust cylinder. Also, superheated rail shot only vents heat if they have combustable cylinder on them, which they won't cause you'll be in ion. You're effectively capping your survivability and your DPS with that spec. You wouldn't even really be a tank, especially not in PvE.

Anyway, if you don't mind sacrificing some survivability, you could go with a build like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGrzRboMZMsrrob.1

It's based around using your rocket punch (which has a bonus 30% chance to crit, and 30% bonus crit damage) and refreshing it quickly (30% chance to refresh with flame burst, 50% chance to refresh every time your shield activates). Rocket Punch also puts Ion Cylinder's effect every time it hits, and Ion Cylinder is buffed from 'Supercharged Ion Gas', 'Prototype Cylinders', and 'Ion Overload'. Basically you'll start every fight with explosive dart, then rocket punch, then rail shot, rectractable blade, and then flame bursting them, then rocket punch when it's up. Flame burst will be used when rectractable blade/rocket punch/rail shot are on cool down, and it will sometimes refresh your rocket punch. The 2 points in Power Armor (they are filler points to get to 'Flame Barrage') could be moved to 'Prototype Electro Surge' for having CC every 50 seconds, I just prefer the damage reduction. The only bad thing is you can't get 2 points into 'Iron Fist' to buff your Rocket Punch with 8% more damage, but you'll still do good damage, while still being a somewhat good tank. No wasted points this way either, and you have more variety in your attacks. You can also double dot people this way, hitting them with Ion Cell's effect and Rectractable blade's effect. Good survivability and DPS this way. Full use of the Ion Cell's effects.

Edited by Athilias

The 2 seconds on quell is a big difference on holding off a healer. It doesn't seem like it should, until you are actually doing it in pvp. Also, the build you posted is no longer a tank even. You don't get the movement slow down from ion cell, you don't have guarnteed root from grapple, you don't have oil slick, you waste 3 points for 3% endurance (basically 3% more hp), 2 points to just give rail shot a 6% damage boost (when puncture isn't even finished), and yes, of course you waste 3 points on combust cylinder. Also, superheated rail shot only vents heat if they have combustable cylinder on them, which they won't cause you'll be in ion. You're effectively capping your survivability and your DPS with that spec. You wouldn't even really be a tank, especially not in PvE.

Anyway, if you don't mind sacrificing some survivability, you could go with a build like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGrzRboMZMsrrob.1

It's based around using your rocket punch (which has a bonus 30% chance to crit, and 30% bonus crit damage) and refreshing it quickly (30% chance to refresh with flame burst, 50% chance to refresh every time your shield activates). Rocket Punch also puts Ion Cylinder's effect every time it hits, and Ion Cylinder is buffed from 'Supercharged Ion Gas', 'Prototype Cylinders', and 'Ion Overload'. Basically you'll start every fight with explosive dart, then rocket punch, then rail shot, rectractable blade, and then flame bursting them, then rocket punch when it's up. Flame burst will be used when rectractable blade/rocket punch/rail shot are on cool down, and it will sometimes refresh your rocket punch. The 2 points in Power Armor (they are filler points to get to 'Flame Barrage') could be moved to 'Prototype Electro Surge' for having CC every 50 seconds, I just prefer the damage reduction. The only bad thing is you can't get 2 points into 'Iron Fist' to buff your Rocket Punch with 8% more damage, but you'll still do good damage, while still being a somewhat good tank. No wasted points this way either, and you have more variety in your attacks. You can also double dot people this way, hitting them with Ion Cell's effect and Rectractable blade's effect. Good survivability and DPS this way. Full use of the Ion Cell's effects.

That looks good as well. That is close to what my original one looked like. I still don't see the point of Oil Slick though. If it was 50% I could understand, but only 20% seems too little. So I don't think a point is worth it there.

Is improving your shield chance not worth it or something? I have yet to see anyone here that has points in that.

Here is my updated on. Slightly different then yours though.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGroRroMZMsrro.1

That looks good as well. That is close to what my original one looked like. I still don't see the point of Oil Slick though. If it was 50% I could understand, but only 20% seems too little. So I don't think a point is worth it there.

Is improving your shield chance not worth it or something? I have yet to see anyone here that has points in that.

Here is my updated on. Slightly different then yours though.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoGroRroMZMsrro.1

It's worth it, but the 5 points spent cut into your DPS ability. Oil Slick is nice if you remember to use it all the time. 20% misses really add up.

It's worth it, but the 5 points spent cut into your DPS ability. Oil Slick is nice if you remember to use it all the time. 20% misses really add up.

I see... I suppose I could try it out. What's better though, Oil slick, or 1 rank in Ablative Upgrades? 30 Seconds on the cool down for Kolto Overload. Is that spell worth having a much better cooldown for?

I mean, Kolto Overload does have it's advantages. Great for PvP when you're on the run, I'm always using it. However, Oil Slick is pretty much a must for PvE tanks. 20% chance for them to miss not only you, but others is huge. PvP there tends to be too much movement and is only really useful on doors and what not. If you can hit a group of enemies wiht it, all of their DPS will drop slightly.

I mean, Kolto Overload does have it's advantages. Great for PvP when you're on the run, I'm always using it. However, Oil Slick is pretty much a must for PvE tanks. 20% chance for them to miss not only you, but others is huge. PvP there tends to be too much movement and is only really useful on doors and what not. If you can hit a group of enemies wiht it, all of their DPS will drop slightly.

So it's better in PvE, which I will be doing most of the time. If only you copuld set the Oil on fire for some damage....