The Writers' Corner

Darth_Slaine

I would like to see some holiday-themed stories. Who wants to set a writing challenge?

There's no point. Everlong would just re-submit his "How the Grrrinch Stole Lifeday," and automatically win. We can't withstand writing power of that magnitude.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*waves to all those more worthy then I.*

Hi im new to the forums and frankly I was surprised at the amount of fiction they have. Most of you have talent. I hope to learn the ropes from you guys and start posting some of my own work based in the old republic. Till then I'll sit in the back and quietly review and comment on the many wonderful stories that are flooding the holonet.

Cheers

-SF.

Hmm, it would give me an excuse to write the Darth Fury Life Day special.

Where our hero, Darth Fury, goes on a romp with his best friend, a chewbacca from Chewbaccaland. And upon that romp discovers that Life Day isn't about all the family gatherings, the songs, the festive cheer or the joy of celebrating being alive, but about the systematic enslavement of thousands of alien civilizations and the receiving of gifts that will aid you in destroying your enemies.

Not only are such valued lessons learned children, but Satin Claws himself appears! That's right, that fashionable hunter in red slips down chimneys and places thermal detonators in the stockings of every good boy and girl, spreading explosive fun throughout the land!

Hey folks, i'm not sure if any of you would remember me from before the wipe since I tended to stay hidden away in the hermits shed that is the roleplay forum. However, I've always fancied putting in some fan fiction since it is basically RP for loners (Please don't hurt me.)

I'm no where near your standards however, Slaine your "Master and Apprentice" is my personal favourite fanfic story and if you'd written a book about Simplicio's adventures you can bet i'd buy it.

Still, you've got to start somewhere so, I'll see if I can't give you writing Jedi a bit of competition. (Friendly competition of course...maybe.) :rak_mad:

I saw this thread while casually cruising through the various posts today after making a small update of my own. After a moment, I thought: why not? So, here I am.

Hello, everyone.

For a small bit of background on me: I've been a very large fan of star wars since I was a kid (as I'm sure many have). As a writer, my tendencies have always been bent toward horror and science fiction, with the occasional meandering into fantasy and dark fantasy. With Star Wars, however, it is a bit of a joy to delve into such a detailed and complicated world.

For the moment, I have been spending my free time at work writing up my main, Coriolis, and his views on various topics relating to all things Sith.

I'm sure I'll see you all around-- and you'll be plagued by the semi-weekly update on Coriolis's dedicated thread.

Adieu.

Edited by Qualthis

So, are we going to complete the Forge Continuity?

I plan to jump back into It Cannot Be Helped and get to the content with Verra soon, I hope. It took me until, like, just this moment now to realize that the FF forums were back.

Edited by AlyxDinas

I plan to jump back into It Cannot Be Helped and get to the content with Verra soon, I hope. It took me until, like, just this moment now to realize that the FF forums were back.

Now that we are all getting back into the wing of things, it is time for this board to start cranking out Fan Fridays again! There should be no excuses for the mods to ignore us now that we have such a small sampling for them to read.

Our pens and pencil shall bolt out the sun!

Then we shall write in the shade!

Hello all, I'm a great lover of reading and writing and have done a good bit of both. I'd love to do some here but I'd have to pull myself from the game, something I find rather difficult at this juncture.

Hello all, I'm a great lover of reading and writing and have done a good bit of both. I'd love to do some here but I'd have to pull myself from the game, something I find rather difficult at this juncture.

Tell me about it. Although I now find it hard to start a character without writing at least a little blurb to see who they are and where they're going, something I've never had to do for an MMO before. It's awesome. :>

Well I'm interested in writing Fan Fiction for TOR because I find myself easily inspired by the things I'm seeing in TOR and it has renewed my vigor for all things Star Wars. I've always been a fan but I seem to go through spurts of being a hardcore fan where I'm spending twenty or more hours a week reading through various wikis and debating the philosophies of the Sith and the Jedi...

In any case. What exactly does the Fan Fiction here on the site organize. I see discussion of various projects that seem to have multiple people working on them and "Fan Fridays" and a few other references. Most of which I don't understand, and I am curious and looking to get involved in a good writing community.

I plan to start writing and posting some of the ideas that I have worked out for various characters and stories in the near future. Which will probably be further spurred by the fact that I'm currently playing TOR on my friend's computer and so I don't get to play it very often at all, hahaha.

Pleased to be acquainted with you all.

Well I'm interested in writing Fan Fiction for TOR because I find myself easily inspired by the things I'm seeing in TOR and it has renewed my vigor for all things Star Wars. I've always been a fan but I seem to go through spurts of being a hardcore fan where I'm spending twenty or more hours a week reading through various wikis and debating the philosophies of the Sith and the Jedi...

In any case. What exactly does the Fan Fiction here on the site organize. I see discussion of various projects that seem to have multiple people working on them and "Fan Fridays" and a few other references. Most of which I don't understand, and I am curious and looking to get involved in a good writing community.

I plan to start writing and posting some of the ideas that I have worked out for various characters and stories in the near future. Which will probably be further spurred by the fact that I'm currently playing TOR on my friend's computer and so I don't get to play it very often at all, hahaha.

Pleased to be acquainted with you all.

Welcome aboard!

The Fan Fiction board is a place for sharing Star Wars --generally TOR era -- stories. We are still getting into the swing of things post-launch.

Pre-launch we had a large and active community and there were several big projects that involved multiple authors (The Forged continuity is one you might see mentioned). Fan Fridays were spotlights by Bioware on fan creations in the lead-up to the game's release. Several stories from the old fan fiction section received Fan Friday recognition over the years-- I'm not sure if they will continue with it now that the game is rolling.

As far as organization... Right now it is anyone's guess. Feel free to share your stories. If you do post something, mention it here to have it listed to the Index and you are very much encouraged to join the Circle of Reviewers (just make sure you read the rules for it first).

I look forward to seeing your work!

Hey folks, i'm not sure if any of you would remember me from before the wipe since I tended to stay hidden away in the hermits shed that is the roleplay forum. However, I've always fancied putting in some fan fiction since it is basically RP for loners (Please don't hurt me.)

I'm no where near your standards however, Slaine your "Master and Apprentice" is my personal favourite fanfic story and if you'd written a book about Simplicio's adventures you can bet i'd buy it.

Still, you've got to start somewhere so, I'll see if I can't give you writing Jedi a bit of competition. (Friendly competition of course...maybe.) :rak_mad:

Thank you, Cyan! That means a lot!

I do look forward to "competition" of any sort... We need to get the community moving again. I'm afraid some of you old school lurkers will just have to start posting more!

Edited by Darth_Slaine

So I have question, and this is something that I personally struggle with. Let's see what your opinions are!

-What is the best way to begin a story?

-What kind of intro most compels you to keep reading?

-How do you like to begin your stories?

So I have question, and this is something that I personally struggle with. Let's see what your opinions are!

This is an incredibly subjective set of questions. That said, there is no correct answer to this-- at all.

For beginnings, there are far too many ways to execute the start of a story. Some prefer In Medias Res-- or in the middle of the action as opposed to the typical way to start the first act: the intro.

It depends on the genre, the mood, the theme, and the overall purpose of the story. You wouldn't typically start a romance story in the middle of a gunfight (you could, which could be interesting), for example.

For what compels people-- a good pacing to the story and giving enough at the beginning to make someone want to learn more without giving too much of the story away, or giving so little that it feels like you're going no where with the prose. People don't normally like to feel like they're spinning wheels when reading, nor do they usually like knowing everything of the story within the first 1000 words.

As for beginning my own stories-- it depends on what I want to accomplish with the story, what perspective it is written from, and what the overall goal of the narrative is going to end up being. For Family Ties on the board here, I decided to ease into things. However, for other pieces I have written and short stories for different genres (horror, for example) I may start completely different.

These questions are all very individualistic and, as stated, subjective. For every five people that would reply to them, you will end up with ten to fifteen different answers.

If you're honestly looking for advice on how to jump start your narrative and work on beginnings, I would suggest looking up some books on the genre you prefer. There are some good books from the Horror Writer's association that can help for that genre, or even just the current Writer's Market can be of help.

A good set of questions...

As for how I start my stories, lets have a look at some of the first lines at some of the pieces I've done:

This is the intro from the piece I'm currently working on. It may stay or it may go:

To look at him was to see the world stand still. Before him the entranceway lay open, revealing the commotion of the Temple beyond. Behind him lay the landing pad from which the orbital shuttle had just departed. His long ochre robes were the only part of him the admitted any movement, shifting in the crisp Tython breeze. Yet no matter how the sensuous golden tones of the descending sun contented themselves to play about his form, on that island of the self nothing stirred. He stood still, looking down at the floor towards the small infinity of his soul, contending with whatever he found therein.

This is from the only piece currently published on here:

“Bloody hell it’s good to see you again”

The soldier marched exuberantly down the dusty slope towards the approaching Jedi before they clasped each other by the forearm.

“Likewise” the Knight smiled back

This was for a writing competition I took part of outside this forum

Eddies swirled through the pearlescent atmosphere thick with the sour taste of pipe-smoke and ale. Drunken eyes, cast in the golden light of the fire, moved themselves blearily up towards the open door where silhouetted against the dark and angry tempest a cloaked stranger strode in. Curiosity satisfied the patrons returned, in their various stages of drunkenness, to their mugs and their revelry as the stranger crossed the threshold. The cacophony of noise, a drunken litany as familiar as an old lullaby, rose once more in a welcome embrace.

As you might be able to see there is no single way I start a story, as there is no single good way of doing so. I will depend on the story you're writing, and no doubt authorial whimsy at the time of writing.

One thing I should say is that the writing should be arresting from the first line. There are 2 ways I can think to do this.

In medias res is a fairly good way of doing it, although I would argue against doing it "jus' because". In essence what you're doing is cutting the unnecessary gumph, and starting where the story is getting interesting. People usually use this term to mean starting with an action sequence to hold the readers attention with something that has a bit of pace, but then again I'm not sure thats a good way to start most stories. I think the technique is more valuable when you can start with a line like "It was the third-hour of the celebration feast" or "He arose, sweat blinding his eyes from the exertion he used to kill her" or some such. In these examples that first sentence alone tells a story that sounds like its interesting.

The other way is to start with a sentence which strongly evokes an image. It came be metaphorical or literal. It is important when doing so that the first sentence is arresting in its own right. There should be an element of poetry to it. To quote the start of one of my favourites.

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fowl

And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold

And the sheen of his spears were like stars on the sea

When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee

Good prose has more than a hint of poetry about it. Part of writing should be the pleasure of language as a series of sounds, and poetry is the embodiment of this.

More generally, on you specific plight, I would suggest, something perhaps a little unorthodox. If you have a story you have a vague notion you want to write, sit on it for a few days. In those days be feeding your subconscious; with other writers, essays, song and music and the like. Then after a day or two, hopefully your subconscious will be so full with ideas that the first parts will write themselves.

Hope my rant helps.

(As a supplemental question, of the three beginnings that I posted above, which do you think is the strongest? I would be interested to know :D)

So, some questions....

Like, "Why can't I get to my own posts or story anymore?" and "Why does the link in my signature now lead to a completely different thread?"

PiElord, the forums were wiped just before launch. We had about a week's notice, if I recall. All your old posts -- along with everyone else's -- have been erased. You will see that some of us have chosen to begin re-uploading old stories. I have been slowly putting Master and Apprentice back up but I doubt I will do the same with my other completed works -- I have archived them instead on a separate page.

Instead, I am trying to focus on my new Girl with the Jawa Tattoo story. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

Ah...

Well, I backed up the story, but it looks like everything else is completely lost and of course they never bothered saving it...

I'm just gonna go crawl in a hole somewhere and die now.

It is a shame but try looking at it as a chance to start fresh. Sometimes a complete break with the past can free up your writing. At any rate, let us know if you need anything.