Dear low level kenetic shadows:

artilleryshell

I ran across someone who was surprised i was a kinetic shadow in the early forties. Today, i tanked a group with her as the fourth in a dps slot (normally run with a healer and a dps in a static group) to plug away some heroics. we ended up doing a flashpoint to end it all because the group was on such a roll.

Afterwards, she told me she was surprised to see someone playing a shadow tank so well. She admitted she had tried it and that it was really hard and not at all fun, but watching me made her want to get back on and figure out what she was doing wrong. I smiled ear to ear, because this very day was the day it all made perfect sense. This was the day that i was past theorycrafting and talking about it. this was *my* class. The thought of tanking with another class was repulsive to me, for i loved this class too much.

And i suddenly remembered doing hammer station on level and having all of two aoe spells, once of which pushed everything away from me. I remember it sucking alot. I remember having to fight for every tick of threat and how frustrated i was that I didn't have mortar volley.

Trooper envy continued even after i got whirlling blow. Whirrling blow was nice, but it just wasn't doing enough damage to keep everything on me all the time. I needed a little extra oomph.

Then something happened. It happened to me, just as it will happen to you.

Slow Time (or in the case of hybrids, FiB) happened.

Slow time is like the missing link in your rotation. Remember how dumb you feel for letting force breach fall off? Once you have this hard hitting mother you'll pay attention to debuffs because this will be the spell you will almost always want to cast again. this is the one you hit the hotkey for reflexivley even when its not on cooldown. You'll plop down this spell then reflexivley attempt to reapply force breach every second time. The rotation just suddenly *makes sense*

So hang in there my brothers and sisters. I know that 40 is a bit of a way away, but its worth it. it really is.

Glad things have clicked for you!

I'm a level 24 kinetic shadow (so far, plan to go kinetic balance hybrid), and have never felt wanting for anything but more threat generation. I'm still working out the basic mechanics of how to play an MMO as I go, and am reading every thread for helpful tips and tricks. Have only used slow time sparingly since I got it, but I will try it a little more and see what I think.

I like this post. Thank you for being a positive contributor to the community.

I didn't try Kinetic until about 44, because I figured I should be prepared to tank if my friends needed one, so I didn't suffer the same way you did. My condolences, but you're totally right in how those abilities tie things together.

Good luck to you and all other dedicated tanks, the rest of us are grateful for your service!

I am lvl 47 and have been a Kinetic Shadow from the get go and know your pain totally. I can not wait for slow time. I guess it will be the next best thing to Tharen and Spinning Strike.

But I find I can out tank just about anyone so far. I also seem to pull aggro from people when they tank and end up tanking the bosses about half way though.

Glad things have clicked for you!

I'm a level 24 kinetic shadow (so far, plan to go kinetic balance hybrid), and have never felt wanting for anything but more threat generation. I'm still working out the basic mechanics of how to play an MMO as I go, and am reading every thread for helpful tips and tricks. Have only used slow time sparingly since I got it, but I will try it a little more and see what I think.

Of course I was thinking about Force Slow...apologies.

I played a Defense Guardian to 39 and did all of the appropriate level Flashpoints. When I switched to Kinetic after I got Tharan it was insanely boring.

I didn't have any issues holding threat and I didn't have to constantly change targets to micromanage threat like I did on my Guardian. Guardian tanking is much more involved for lack of a better word.

I like Infiltration much better and I'd like to say that once I hit 40 I'll switch back to Kinetic and try Slow Time, but I'm anxious to see how Clairvoyant Strike performs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.