Arsenal or Pyrotech as a Merc

Mulishaman

I'm currently stuck between the two. I haven't tried out pyrotech yet so I'm looking for a answer on which is better for leveling. I'm currently only level 31 so be aware i can't reach my full tree yet.

(and hint on a good rotation for the best spec would be amazing also :) )

In PvE, Merc prolly does a little bit better than PT. In PvP Huttball, PT does better than Merc by far. In PvP Voidstar and Alderon, Merc and PT are both equally viable. In open world PvP, I can't comment because I just don't know.

As far as optimal rotation...this really only comes in to play far less than you imagine. Only against a huge HP PvE boss does rotation really matter. Because against non-boss regular mobs, a few tracer missiles can take them out. No need to even move your finger to a different key when the same button 3 times will work fine.

In PvP, the only time you will use a rotation is if you come up on someone 1vs1 and you are both at full health. If you or them are at less than full, you might just want to start with your biggest damage so they die right away, or so you hurt them before you die. Or if its 2 vs 1, there is no rotation needed. Just unload your big attacks to start. If you start with debuffs (tracer missle) they will be dead before you even start with the big attacks.

Having said that, here is a general idea of a rotation.

-Start with heatseeker, or if you prefer you can save it until after the tracers. It gets boosted 5% for every tracer up to 25%. This is decent to lead with because you can do it on the run as you are closing in. (I lead with this alot in PvP)

-Next could be Unload because it will do a short snare. If you think they may try to escape, this could come second instead of starting with Tracers. Also, by level 40 this will have big damage boosts so it will do some good damage. (I follow up with this alot in PvP)

-Next in PvP, or to start with in PvE would be tracer missiles. They do almost as much damage as the above 2 attacks, but cost 25 heat instead of 16. They do a nice armor debuff and they build up power for your rail shot. After 5 tracers, your next rail shot is +30% damage no matter who you fire it at. Each tracer puts 2 debuffs on your target but the max is 5, so its up to you if you want to hit them twice for 4 debuffs or 3 times for all 5 debuffs.

-Last but not least is rail shot. This is your other attack that can be used on the move. Sometimes in PvP I open with Heatseeker then Railshot but they have to be "vulnerable" to use railshot so sometimes it has to wait until after the tracers.

Many people will disagree with the above rotation but in the heat of combat, plans get thrown out the window.

Another random factor that changes the rotation is that using tracer missiles can cause a Proc that refreshes Unload immediately and gives it a big damage boost. Since its already a big damage dealer with snare, I use it right away when it gets procced by tracer missle. So this random factor throws the whole "rotation" out the window.

1 variety of rotation for PvE;

Tracer (x2 debuff) (1 railshot buff)

Tracer (x4 debuff) (2 railshot buff)

Tracer (x5 debuff) (3 railshot buff)

Heatseeker Missile

Unload

Tracer (refreshes all 5 debuffs) (4 railshot buffs)

Tracer (refreshes all 5 debuffs) (5 railshot buffs)

Railshot

From here on out, use Heatseeker / Unload / Railshot as soon as they are available, and use Tracer missile if none of them are useable. Watch for tracer to proc, and refresh the cooldown on Unload.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

I'm in the same boat, I'm deep into the Arsenal Tree right now at 46, and I was in Bodyguard before that but got tired of healing nubs in PvP that did nothing to protect me. :)

Anyways, I've 1v1 a PyTech as Arsenal, and hands down get beat most of the time. Their ability to stack some DoTs, and heal themselves while my health ticks away is great. Their PvP is hands down better at Mid to Close Range. At longer Range your Arsenal build will shine as you will hopefully have uninterupted ability to just spam Tracer, Unload, HSM all day long, and your Heat should stay minimal as long as you have HVCShell on.

PvE, I can not see PyTech being nearly as good, but I could be wrong, I just fear that heat would be more of an issue in longer sustained boss fights. I find in large boss fights Arsenal is just really good sustained DPS with out too much worry about heat disipation. The Rotation that was pointed out above is exactly what I use when I'm allowed to stand still. Also things like the Themral Detinator or AoE abilities, that in boss fights or Instances, can get you aggro from other mobs, which you dont want. Most of the Arsenal abilities seem to focus on single target sustained dmg.

I'm really big on PvP right now, and I'm still debating trying PyTech Tree, in fact I was fancying a Hybrid 24/0/17 build to see how taht works out in PvP and I can heal and do some DPS. Have a thread asking about the viability in here somewhere.

I read that answer as being PowerTech vs Merc, not Pyrotech Merc vs Arsenal Merc, which is what the OP asked.

Youre right. For some reason I didn't read the question correctly and gave an answer on Merc vs Powertech.

But at least I answered half of his question...the part about rotation etc

I'm currently stuck between the two. I haven't tried out pyrotech yet so I'm looking for a answer on which is better for leveling. I'm currently only level 31 so be aware i can't reach my full tree yet.

(and hint on a good rotation for the best spec would be amazing also :) )

Both specs are viable for PvE, since PvE is very forgiving.

PvP both have their strong points. AR if left on their lonesome can stroke their epeen as top pew pew during a match, similar to leaving a sniper alone.

PYRO has strong kite mobility with their free 2s slow from their combustion dot. It's also very strong vs melee trying to get in your face, and has more utility for hutball, and voidstar with it's constantly procing slow. Also being able to proc dots on the entire opposing team when they cluster up puts a lot of pressure on heals if there are any. Oh and you get kill credit when players die from your dots even while your waiting in the holding area.

Edited by kimmiekros