Every group is full of greedy ninja companion looters.

haluo

This is a game. I play an evil character. I'll steal all of your loot - boo freeaking hoo.

What makes ME mad, isn't a game. It's real life.

When I go to the grocery store, see some screwball hop out of his F150 talking on his blue-tooth head to the register with a stack of $5 gourmet dark chocolate candy bars, and see the words "FOOD STAMP" flash up on the register screen, I START TO GET A LITTLE MAD.

If this game makes you mad, then learn to put things into perspective.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rift recently added a new Lotting option called Need Before Greed, which works briliantly. In NBG mode, only players who have the appropriate class may lot Need.. But TOR needs an addition to this: a companion lot button.

Your bar would go:

Need, Greed, Companion, Disassemble.

Problem solved. Oh, and Warzones in Rift are forced NBG mode for drops.

We cannot have that at all! Haven't you been reading the kind generous human beings posting here?! How dare you or the game designers decide what they actually NEED. If they need it to sell how dare you define need any other way - if they need it for one of seven alts or one of those alt's 35 companions how dare you or anyone else force your morals upon them!

quote Zak:

"This is a game. I play an evil character. I'll steal all of your loot - boo freeaking hoo.

What makes ME mad, isn't a game. It's real life.

When I go to the grocery store, see some screwball hop out of his F150 talking on his blue-tooth head to the register with a stack of $5 gourmet dark chocolate candy bars, and see the words "FOOD STAMP" flash up on the register screen, I START TO GET A LITTLE MAD.

If this game makes you mad, then learn to put things into perspective.

"

Ummmm.. when you apply for benefits from the government you have to assert that you qualify and need said benefits (you NEED food stamps). But why are you angry bro? How dare you apply your morals to them saying they NEED food stamps? They have every right to click NEED for those food stamps if they (or anyone else) "NEEDs" them as how dare YOU define what need means for them. You walked right into that one bro.

Edited by OdonKnight

Anyone who rolls need for a companion (when it is not being used in the boss fight) over a player is the epitome of selfish and greedy.

I make a very simple rule when forming my groups: you roll need for companions, you are immediately removed from the group. I've yet to run into any problems.

Look, here's the bottom line: if a piece drops that's an upgrade for my companion but not for me, I'm going to roll Need on it.

Hell, I'll even roll Need on it if it's four players in the group. My companion needs to keep their gear updated just like I do, so their output is acceptable while I'm out questing on my own. I spend the majority of my time questing on my own. I'm in a Flashpoint for 30 minutes tops.

Companions are extensions of the player characters. It isn't going to change. I'm not going to roll Need on an item that requires a specific class and alignment unless I'm both of those things. But if a piece drops for, say, Jaesa (light armor with Endurance and Willpower), and it doesn't put a class or alignment requirement on it, and it's an upgrade from what she currently has in that slot, I'm going to roll Need on it.

I was in there, I helped down the boss, I have as much right to a piece of gear as any of the other players. It's no one else's business what I do with that gear.

So you would have no problems rolling on an item that would be a huge upgrade for an actual player just so your lame pet can get an upgrade? Heck, my pets all have crummy green gear and I destroy solo PvE content easily; this is at lvl 50. Btw, that pet of yours wasn't even there so on that note: should not be able to roll for it then.

I really hope you do this in 'raids' because I have this feeling you will be blacklisted mighty fast. A real, living human >>>>>> lame pet. Have a bit of consideration for other people. If it's not an upgrade for a person then have at er but only then, imo.

Edited by fixit

A real, living human >>>>>> lame pet.

Hate to break it to you, but your character isn't a "real, living human being." Take a step back and realize that the character and the companion are both fictional constructs.

Have a bit of consideration for other people. If it's not an upgrade for a person then have at er but only then, imo. But jerks will be jerks, sadly.

Same applies to you. You are being intolerant of people who have a different opinion of how important their companions are. And then follow up with name calling.

Jerk, indeed.

We cannot have that at all! Haven't you been reading the kind generous human beings posting here?! How dare you or the game designers decide what they actually NEED. If they need it to sell how dare you define need any other way - if they need it for one of seven alts one one of those alts 35 companions how dare you or anyone else force your morals upon them!

I think you need a break from this thread, my friend, lol.

Edited by OsarionRDM

Rift recently added a new Lotting option called Need Before Greed, which works briliantly. In NBG mode, only players who have the appropriate class may lot Need.. But TOR needs an addition to this: a companion lot button.

Your bar would go:

Need, Greed, Companion, Disassemble.

Problem solved. Oh, and Warzones in Rift are forced NBG mode for drops.

I agree.

All we really need is a Need before Greed system where you can only roll need on an item if it is usable by your character (and not a companion).

We also need loot that can be traded after a roll. I hate it when someone rolls need on an item then later says oops - I can't wear/use it. Sorry.

Hate to break it to you, but your character isn't a "real, living human being." Take a step back and realize that the character and the companion are both fictional constructs.

Same applies to you. You are being intolerant of people who have a different opinion of how important their companions are. And then follow up with name calling.

Jerk, indeed.

Edited that part because as you said, name calling, so I removed it. Anyways, your companion wasnt even there. Anyrate, I wish companion needers all the luck in the world, once your name gets out you will be hard pressed to get a group I bet. Just continue to need for your pet and see what happens.

W/e, this is why my tank and healer only does guild groups.

Anyone who rolls need for a companion (when it is not being used in the boss fight) over a player is the epitome of selfish and greedy.

I make a very simple rule when forming my groups: you roll need for companions, you are immediately removed from the group. I've yet to run into any problems.

Sounds like you are selfish and greedy for wanting less competition on items.

Which is fine, since thats how most of us are, hell we even get people in groups who will say someone else shouldn't roll on an item because the other person has a better item then them. "BIGGER UPGRADE FOR ME!"

Kicking a healer from a group because they want their companion to do moer damage while levelling is pretty much the reason we need a LFD feature so our groups aren't run by jerks though.

Nice thing is the game is healthy enough to support various options on this topic. As long as folks communicate ahead of time about looting rules, the anti-companion rollers can stick to their kind and the ffa rollers can stick to theirs.

Myself, I'm in the FFA crowd....c'mon dice, daddy needs a new pair of boots...for my side kick!

Ummmm.. when you apply for benefits from the government you have to assert that you qualify and need said benefits (you NEED food stamps). But why are you angry bro? How dare you apply your morals to them saying they NEED food stamps? They have every right to click NEED for those food stamps if they (or anyone else) "NEEDs" them as how dare YOU define what need means for them. You walked right into that one bro.

People buying GOURMENT CHOCOLATE at 5 bucks a pop driving around in their brand new F150's might be stretching it when they claim they NEED food stamps.

Why are you so defensive on this one? You been less than truthful on your application for government aid? You walked right into that one bro.

My point being, real life shenanigans and liars should invoke your wrath. Not the digital gankster that rolled against you for an item that can't be that good anyways since you're running in a pug.....

People buying GOURMENT CHOCOLATE at 5 bucks a pop driving around in their brand new F150's might be stretching it when they claim they NEED food stamps.

Why are you so defensive on this one? You been less than truthful on your application for government aid? You walked right into that one bro.

My point being, real life shenanigans and liars should invoke your wrath. Not the digital gankster that rolled against you for an item that can't be that good anyways since you're running in a pug.....

Actually the opposite.

My point was people argue how others cannot define their right to need an item or impose a definition of need upon them and you complained out government benefits and I pointed out that, the the need anything backers - applying that defense to the anecdotal example you shouldn't be questioning their need of the benefits.

I agree with you on the real-life example but I find it highly convenient you reserve the right to questions another's need/greed in RL but others shouldn't question anyone online on the need humdrum.

As much as everyone whines about the gimmie gimmie gimmie crowd there sure is a lot of them in this thread. If you didnt win the loot roll. Try again. It seems the game/games most people who have posted in this thread came from catered to the gimmie people. Simply do away with the current system and have the loot randomly assessed between the people in the group. It may come as a shock but it usually takes more than one run to get what your looking for unless your lucky (of which I am not).

I seriously don't care if people need for their companion if the following criteria are met:

1) They announce up front before the FP or Heroic or whatever starts that it is their intention to do so.

2)....

3) Just kidding I would have booted them after 1.

Companions are solo pve-centric and have no business being considered in need/greed UNLESS it is cleared with the party well beforehand.

Edited by zerosaint

Look, here's the bottom line: if a piece drops that's an upgrade for my companion but not for me, I'm going to roll Need on it.

Hell, I'll even roll Need on it if it's four players in the group. My companion needs to keep their gear updated just like I do, so their output is acceptable while I'm out questing on my own. I spend the majority of my time questing on my own. I'm in a Flashpoint for 30 minutes tops.

Companions are extensions of the player characters. It isn't going to change. I'm not going to roll Need on an item that requires a specific class and alignment unless I'm both of those things. But if a piece drops for, say, Jaesa (light armor with Endurance and Willpower), and it doesn't put a class or alignment requirement on it, and it's an upgrade from what she currently has in that slot, I'm going to roll Need on it.

I was in there, I helped down the boss, I have as much right to a piece of gear as any of the other players. It's no one else's business what I do with that gear.

You're one of those people in WoW who rolled Need for their off-spec when people who actually needed it for the main-spec needed it, aren't you?

After all, you need to keep your pvp/dps gear updated even though you're a tank in the group, right? Of course you do, off-specs for leveling/questing/raiding/pvp are merely extensions of your character, correct?

Yeah, no. Ever hear of loot etiquette? Even though you can roll need, you should have the decency to pass for someone who actually does need (for their MS, not their companion). Besides, if you really need the best dungeon gear for your glorified pet (companion) to survive in this game, then you're doing it wrong.

Coming from WoW, MOST people seem to understand this. Those that don't, well, I may have to stand polishing my steel-toe boots, cause I'm gonna be doing a lot of kicking.

Besides, if you really need the best dungeon gear for your glorified pet (companion) to survive in this game, then you're doing it wrong.

If you really need the best gear for your SWTOR character to survive in this game, you are also doing it wrong.

I seriously don't care if people need for their companion if the following criteria are met:

1) They announce up front before the FP or Heroic or whatever starts that it is their intention to do so.

2)....

3) Just kidding I would have booted them after 1.

Companions are solo pve-centric and have no business being considered in need/greed UNLESS it is cleared with the party well beforehand.

I think if you have expectations beyond what the game allows or advises against, the onus is on you to inform those in your party what you will tolerate. Once you have that discussion, blame the companion looter to your heart's content but, expecting unspoken rules to be followed is just folly.

How hard is it to tell your party they should only use "need" for gear their character actually needs? Probably alot easier than being upset about it for however long after.

If you really need the best gear for your SWTOR character to survive in this game, you are also doing it wrong.

Quite correct. I'll put it to you like this: Main-spec good, off-spec (or companion) bad. With minor exceptions, of course. :)

if you want a healer you just find a REAL PERSON to heal, or to tank, why not just make a game where only 1 guy can play on a server then everyone else is a npc with ai and you can charge them 15 bucks a month to play it, yeah thats over the edge but this is just ruining the fun.

I find it interesting that you didn't mention needing to find a real person to DPS.

I think if you have expectations beyond what the game allows or advises against, the onus is on you to inform those in your party what you will tolerate. Once you have that discussion, blame the companion looter to your heart's content but, expecting unspoken rules to be followed is just folly.

How hard is it to tell your party they should only use "need" for gear their character actually needs? Probably alot easier than being upset about it for however long after.

I think if you have the expectation that you wont be kicked/ignored for taking loot that another player needs for your companion you should inform your party at the start of the flashpoint. I don't understand how people think it's ok to depend on other players to do content and then deny then take upgrades from them so they can improve in a completely unrelated part of the game. Everyone's defense seems to be it's ok because the game allows me to do it, yet seem to think it's overly harsh to kick someone/yell at them/ignore them for doing it despite the fact that these actions are also allowed by the game.

If everyone is rolling for companions, maybe rolling for companions is the new normal and you are just stuck in the past?

It isn't ninja looting, catch up with the times.

There are enough companions that doing this would mean everyone rolls need on everything.

You should only be able to roll on the highest grade of armor you can equip, so heavy-wearers couldn't roll on light or medium armor, for example.

Same goes for weapons. No Shadows or Assassins rolling on single-bladed lightsabers.

Dont quite understand the problem here.

If you want something, wait and see what everyone else votes on it, then vote yourself.

Example : Pair of nice trousers, everyone wants them. Therefore, everyone rolls NEED, and voila, everything is even, with the roll of the virtual dice choosing who gets it.

Dont quite understand the problem here.

If you want something, wait and see what everyone else votes on it, then vote yourself.

Example : Pair of nice trousers, everyone wants them. Therefore, everyone rolls NEED, and voila, everything is even, with the roll of the virtual dice choosing who gets it.

Apparently thats not good enough for these people.