What you think about deception tree?

Stumkrav

As a Sith Assassin lvl 42, deception atm to level up is very poor. Due to internal changes in my Guild I have to perform the role of DPS for a while. My question is, is Deception a branch viable in PvE? It's a difficult question right now, I know, but what you think?.

What do you think of Deception tree? I'm scared about marauders, feels much better DD.

I've been deception spec'd since lvl 10 ( currently lvl 49 ) and haven't had to respec or had any trouble with it. In fact alot of the time i've overleveled on the planets I have to quest on.

Just make sure you're prioritizing your skills based on procs. What problems do you have exactly?

I have no problems against the other classes as long as i'm prepared. As for PVE, (not sure if this is considered a spoiler but...)

Khem Val is the only companion up until you get Talos (healer)/Xalek(ranged tank/dps)

Edited by otterfreak

I have no feelings of inadequacy at 50. I put points from 10-40 into Deception, never looked back. OK there was that one day I tried Madness in the 30's, but I was in college, and everyone was doing it, and I didn't inhale ....

Er, wait.

So, yeah. Deception is fine. You can do lots of damage if you prioritize skills correctly, watch for procs, and manage your cooldowns.

It's actually a lot of fun. Like the prior poster, what exactly is the problem you're having?

To level up seems very weak, darkness is a much more viable class, especially when andronikus / ashura are part of your team. My concern is whether to HE / HM / Nightmare, deception is viable in terms of damage sustained.

To level up seems very weak, darkness is a much more viable class, especially when andronikus / ashura are part of your team. My concern is whether to HE / HM / Nightmare, deception is viable in terms of damage sustained.

Like I said, I leveled to 50 as Deception, easily. Did I die? Yeah when I was bad, or not paying attention, or just sloppy, or needed to interrupt something that I didn't. On story bosses, pretty much. Killing mob packs was simple, I could just mow them down single-target style. I never got stuck on anything (until the very last fight, but you know what, your story "end boss" SHOULD be pretty hard.)

So again, what's weak about it?

Without a combat log its hard to tell you whether or not assassins do sustained effective DPS. However, consider that we do really high burst dmg (provided you are going straight deception) with relatively low cooldowns. In a group/ops I'd imagine with the proper buffs, we could prolong our burst dmg and be viable in end-game raids.

Not to belittle you, but maybe you're no using the class correctly? I did not have problems levelling my assassin, like the previous poster said, you will die if you are unprepared but I never had much problems. I'm already lvl 49 and a quarter and just starting to do the Voss bonus series.

Maybe you're having problems with the skill rotation?

It's ok i do find after spending time in raids as both deception and madness as well as significant time in PvP that madness is the better choice for non-leveling. Against small mobs madness is inefficient where deception will melt them in a couple of gcds but against raid bosses and other level 50s in PvP madness really shines.

Maybe, but I dont have much problem with Darkness... I was madness at lvl 32, then I change to Deception but I die in every elite boss over 15k of life. When I change to Darkness my Life feels much easy =).

Maybe Im wrong with deception. Now that I am 40, I will try deception with heal companion. Btw I hope we are fine in raids as a Deception.

Edited by Stumkrav

As a deception specced 26, I have had no problem. I completed the balmorra quests without issues and killed all I needed to kill. regaining health after each battle is a slight downer, but apart from champions, I dont have any trouble. I can even manage elite mobs with khem.

As a deception specced 26, I have had no problem. I completed the balmorra quests without issues and killed all I needed to kill. regaining health after each battle is a slight downer, but apart from champions, I dont have any trouble. I can even manage elite mobs with khem.

Just wait till you get Talos, you'll never have to rest ever again, it's a substantial dps loss, but considering the fact you'll never ever have to rest kinda makes up for it I think (at least psychologically)

It's ok i do find after spending time in raids as both deception and madness as well as significant time in PvP that madness is the better choice for non-leveling. Against small mobs madness is inefficient where deception will melt them in a couple of gcds but against raid bosses and other level 50s in PvP madness really shines.

Really? I have found that my darkness/madness 23/0/18 hybrid is infinitely better at dealing with AoE situations while running with dark charge and Adronikus. The spec works well in both PvE and PvP, but that could just be a result of me feeling more comfortable with its playstyle.

To answer the OPs question, I liked deception until I tried the 23/0/18 spec. It's been a complete 180 in ease of play for me personally.

Deception is fine PvE damage Voltaic Slash twice, Maul whenever it comes up, Shock/Discharge as applicable and pop relics overcharge and recklessness whenever. Plus you don't have to worry too much about damaging too much and getting aggro since if you do you can just cloak and continue