The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Explain how a jedi shadow who can taunt/guard without breaking stealth is good?

Chiricahua

I read these statements from another thread and was intrigued:

"The only dps worth a damn in premade vs premade is one that can shield/heal other people (in which case they have to tri spec and sacrifice dmg) or a dps that can taunt/guard (assasssin/shadow is the best option).

If they ever have competitive pvp in this game? The only dps class worth bringing that is actually dps speccedm will be assassins/shadows (they can taunt/guard) and one marauder/sent for mortalstrike. No other classes need apply."

I didn't see any heals for jedi shadow, just some type of shield. So can a jedi shadow extend their shield to another player? Please explain how this works.

Edited by Chiricahua

Well as a Sniper I can say those statements are false, but I fail to see what they have to do with your thread title. Anyways, if I recall, they have an ability called Guard. This allows you to take some of the damage of the one you use it on instead. Not sure if it works in stealth, but I assume taking guard damage removes stealth. Edited by Kuari

Shadows can equip a shield. They also have a stance called Combat Technique that adds 15% to their shield chance. When a Shadow has Combat Technique up, the Guard skill becomes active. The Shadow can put Guard on another player, and when that player is within 15 meters, they have 5% damage mitigation, and 50% of the damage they do take is transferred to the Shadow, which is then subject to being shielded by the Shadow as well.

Shadows also always have a taunt skill available: Mind Control. If a Shadow taunts a player, that player does 30% less damage to anyone but the Shadow for 6 seconds. It's on a 15 second cool down.

So, a Shadow in stealth can Guard another player, reducing damage to them by a little over 50%. Every 15 seconds the Shadow can taunt an enemy, reducing their damage by 30% for 6 seconds. So if one person is attacking a guarded player, the damage reduction from a guard and taunt from a Shadow in stealth could be significant.

Shadows would be much more effective if they came out of stealth and attacked, however, adding a lot of damage to the aggressor. Also, stealth breaks on damage, so damage from the guard may pull them out of stealth anyway. I haven't tested, so I can't say for sure. Not to mention anyone seeing that damage reduction should start AOEing as much as they can to pull the Shadow out of stealth.