Combat Spec and Zen modes

MrSchmo

Im enjoying the Sentinal as my alt. Chose to got full dps and lovin it. I found that this class you need to pay a lot more attention to what your doing, and I like that. Hopefully you can help me out getting better.

First, does anyone have a good Combat spec tree they could post? And then tell me why one spec is taken over another.

Second, what and when is the best times or situations to use each of the 3 different Zen modes. Forgive me I don't have their names in front of me. I want to make sure I'm utilizing everything this class has to offer.

I really only do PVE, so PVP stuff is not needed.

Thanks ahead.

My Sentinel is my main (becuase I havent actually really started another character yet!) and I have placed the majority of my points into the combat(middle) tree as I found those to seemingly give the greatest damage boost, however Im sure the trees are actually pretty balanced and all three are worth while.

I wouldnt suggest putting points into all three trees though, becuase if you havent noticed each tree has one of your classes most powerful abilities unlocked when you reach the top.

As for the three forms, the majority of the time you will want to stick with the one that your skill tree focuses on. However I have found it can be important to switch between them based around two things, one is your role in a fight and the other is when you use the Zen ability as it gives boosts based on whatever form you are using at the time.

Edited by rmoxon

Im enjoying the Sentinal as my alt. Chose to got full dps and lovin it. I found that this class you need to pay a lot more attention to what your doing, and I like that. Hopefully you can help me out getting better.

First, does anyone have a good Combat spec tree they could post? And then tell me why one spec is taken over another.

Second, what and when is the best times or situations to use each of the 3 different Zen modes. Forgive me I don't have their names in front of me. I want to make sure I'm utilizing everything this class has to offer.

I really only do PVE, so PVP stuff is not needed.

Thanks ahead.

Welcome , you picked a great class, very powerful currently and you will have lot of fun leveling to 50. If played correctly and well you will never struggle as Sentinel. As far as specs, I went combat to 30 and then tried watchman out and I have to say I never looked back. It was much faster to blow through stuff and having improved aoe combined with zero range force leap as a 2nd focus builder is just awesome. I could get into telling you all about the two specs or how zen works but id rather just offer that you go read the sticky on the forum. It has all the info you need to start learning to play well. Good luck.

Welcome , you picked a great class, very powerful currently and you will have lot of fun leveling to 50. If played correctly and well you will never struggle as Sentinel. As far as specs, I went combat to 30 and then tried watchman out and I have to say I never looked back. It was much faster to blow through stuff and having improved aoe combined with zero range force leap as a 2nd focus builder is just awesome. I could get into telling you all about the two specs or how zen works but id rather just offer that you go read the sticky on the forum. It has all the info you need to start learning to play well. Good luck.

Dot build up, only useful for when fighting high end/durable mobs and players, aside from that it gets pretty dull but personally DoT and HoT spamming isn't my thing.

As for combat, I will agree with OP, Jedi Knight, its a fun class but IMO even more so with combat because there's no healing whatsoever in midst of battle so you literally live off of all your Defensive cooldowns, as they are a vital must but eventually if you stack up primarily in combat tree, and getting Blade rush, your constantly building up focus at such a rapid rate you rinse and repeat, start from scratch and get back to pummeling high end skills all over again so you sustain constant damage with a good burst. I will say you need to know how to do your rotations and know what your doing and what your fighting or you may just give up on the class or say combat sucks or something like that.

1. I use a combat focused build, linky http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#5010cZGGbbddrRrsZzM.1

2. Watchmen is legit when fighting tough mobs and I think it has better survivability and less downtime then Combat when doing PVE so that may be your better class as Combat is a little more challenging and a lot more downtime after mobs. Although overall concept is if you are going combat, your specced for keeping a constant range of damage, where as Watchmen is a build up, you start slow and then work your way to the top with high end damage stacks and so forth, Combat you just jump straight into it and somewhat stay at that point but your constantly repeating it at a fast rate, and for Focus im not sure and I have not read enough of it to give you a solid input

my 2 cents