The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Balance to the force was not balance

alienstalker

When the jedi talk about bringing balance to the force I laugh. Because they clearly misunderstand what balance means. They say bring balance to the force by destroying the dark side of the force. But they don't realize that destroying the dark side of the force would bring imbalance not balance. Because balance means there is evil and good. If the dark side was destroyed there would only be good. so the jedi's quest would actually bring alot of imbalance to the force instead, good thing they never totally succeeded.

Has anyone else noticed this.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is already a topic on this...but here goes.

The Force exists, in its natural state, as the light side. The dark side is a corruption and a corruption of any sort is not natural. Therefore using the dark side of the force is throwing the force off-balance. Lucas himself has stated that balance in the force means purely light side.

My Jedi Knight and my wife's Jedi Consular would agree with the Jedi view.

My Sith Sorceress would say balance is slaughtering a camp full of slaves because they dared to think they could rebel.

My Bounty Hunter would say balance is whatever the person paying her says it is.

To quote Obi-Wan: "... many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

When the jedi talk about bringing balance to the force I laugh. Because they clearly misunderstand what balance means. They say bring balance to the force by destroying the dark side of the force. But they don't realize that destroying the dark side of the force would bring imbalance not balance. Because balance means there is evil and good. If the dark side was destroyed there would only be good. so the jedi's quest would actually bring alot of imbalance to the force instead, good thing they never totally succeeded.

Has anyone else noticed this.

How can you possibly know what brings the force into balance?

G canon says (read: George Lucas says: therefore is it the highest form of canon) that the darkside unbalances the force. And only lightside is balanced.

Maybe the prophesy should have said,"will bring harmony to the Force". Clearly the Dark Side thrives on exploitation and not harmony. The Jedi Council must have felt a Phantom Menance causing subtle disturbances in the Force. How old the prophesy was or how long the Dark Side was subtly working its machinations in the background (enough to merit a prophesy) and disturbing the harmony inherent in the Force is beyond me and I don't think was ever explained. Edited by Cwyn

I believe there is already a topic on this...but here goes.

The Force exists, in its natural state, as the light side. The dark side is a corruption and a corruption of any sort is not natural. Therefore using the dark side of the force is throwing the force off-balance. Lucas himself has stated that balance in the force means purely light side.

But that goes both ways. If the dark side is corruption, than our world has corruption because of evil. The dark side is evil, so it is balancing out the good and evil.

Maybe the prophesy should have said,"will bring harmony to the Force". Clearly the Dark Side thrives on exploitation and not harmony. The Jedi Council must have felt a Phantom Menance causing subtle disturbances in the Force. How old the prophesy was or how long the Dark Side was subtly working its machinations in the background (enough to merit a prophesy) and disturbing the harmony inherent in the Force is beyond me and I don't think was ever explained.

I agree with you, it's bring harmony to the force not balance.

How can you possibly know what brings the force into balance?

G canon says (read: George Lucas says: therefore is it the highest form of canon) that the darkside unbalances the force. And only lightside is balanced.

Then George Lucas is a idiot. And I don't think we should take his word seriously. He has already proved a idiot by making all the edits to the star wars, other than CGI like making Greedo shoot first. Or making Darth Vader say noooooooo. Or Obi-Wan making a gay sound to scare tuskian raiders away. He edited it to make everyone weaker, which is stupid.

Light side is balance, which is why Jedi strive for no emotions. 0 emotions is balance. 0 rage = 0 happiness. 0 = 0. Its harder to achieve balance when you add emotions. If you have 100 love, then to balance you would need 100 hate. 100 = 100. Such a balance is so difficult, that Jedi strive for 0 = 0.

This would mean that ANY emotion would lead to the dark side. Someone super compassionate and loving, but never angry would in fact be Dark side due to the lack of balance. 100 =/= 0. Much like lightning is created by an imbalance in the amount of charge the planet has and the sky has, Dark Side is created by that imbalance. Sith simply channel that lightning (sometimes literally) outside of the imbalance of emotions into a manifestation of the Force.

This is the most painfully overdiscussed subject on these forums.

1. The Force is not Yin-Yang. Balance doesn't mean amount of light = amount of dark.

2. The Dark Side is a corruption of the Force, not another aspect of the Force opposite the Light Side. The existence of the Dark Side disrupts the natural balance of The Force that flows through all living things.

3. The "Light Side" is an EU construct. You will never hear anyone mention the Light Side in any Star Wars movie. In George Lucas' vision, there is The Force, and there's those that abuse The Force by turning to the Dark Side.

So yes, balance to The Force was balance. You're just confusing it with a completely different concept.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

What Peeps said.

Then George Lucas is a idiot. And I don't think we should take his word seriously. He has already proved a idiot by making all the edits to the star wars, other than CGI like making Greedo shoot first. Or making Darth Vader say noooooooo. Or Obi-Wan making a gay sound to scare tuskian raiders away. He edited it to make everyone weaker, which is stupid.

Both of those examples are meaningless and change nothing of the lore.

Whether people like it or not he decides what is canon and not. And canon is what Peeps said.

I believe the Prophecy of Anakin bringing "Balance" to the force was a bit roundabout. He brought balance to the force, yes, but not the way they had forseen or predicted.

First, he culled the overbalanced population of Light Side users down to basically one Jedi Knight (Obi Wan), and one Master (yoda). Give or take stragglers Vader hunted down later. Dark Side was also balanced by only having one Master/Emperor, and one servant. Basically, a 1/1 ratio of prominent Light/Dark Side users.

But this was not the end of the prophecies foretelling. For the Dark Side became too powerful, too overt throughout the Galaxy. The Emperor forced the dark sides will across the Galaxy. Balance through the Skywalkers lineage was still to come.

Second, Luke was born from Vader, who defeated the dark side, and went on to re-create the jedi temple (and if you allow me to go by Jedi Knight Academy story) thereby bringing balance to the force by allowing people to study both the Dark and the Light side of the force, keeping it equal.

So yes, Anakin brought balance to the force, because he ended up giving birth to Luke.

The prophecy of bringing balance to the force was fulfilled.

Edited by Cyan_Bloodbane

Thing is George Lucas created all this, without him there would not be a forum for you to ***** about him.

He may be an idiot, but he is a very very wealthy idiot who decides what is cannon, regardless how serious you take his statements.

In star wars lore he is the Alpha and the Omega

Thing is George Lucas created all this, without him there would not be a forum for you to ***** about him.

I will cede you this point.

He may be an idiot, but he is a very very wealthy idiot

So at the end of the day, he's still an idiot, but with money? That sounds dangerous.

In star wars lore he is the Alpha and the Omega

And may the Maker have mercy on all Star Wars fan's souls.

It's a sad day when I'm actually rooting for my childhood hero to die of a heart attack, lest his crazy infests the rest of the good things he created. (I used to write book reports about this guy back during grade school in the 90s. So it's been like tracking his rise and fall)

Irrelevant. What he says, goes. Do I like it? Most of the time, no. I'd rather Han shot first. But that's the way it is, and ************ about it won't help anyone.

I'll try and explain the whole balance thing to you despite you clearly refusing to listen to anyone who does.

See the Force as a human body and the Dark Side as cancer. By itself, the human body (or the Force) is balanced. Everything functions like it should. Then along comes "cancer". Cancer gets rid of the body's previous balance and slowly destroys it. It has, in a way, become part of the body. But the body's better off without it.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

George Lucas was the architect of the Mortis trilogy from the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, and so is his most recent contribution to the whole issue of balance to the Force.

In it, there is clearly a light and dark side of the Force, which must always be in balance. Jedi serve the balance. The Sith disregard the balance. It is not the dark side that must be destroyed, but the Sith.

It has nothing to do with the numbers of Jedi or Sith, either. The Sith do not represent the dark side, as there are other dark side orders in the galaxy. But the Sith do represent imbalance. A significant plot point in the prequels was that of Sidious' rise to power clouding the Force. If the Force was already imbalanced by Sidious' power, what would killing all the Jedi achieve?

Edited by Hrisskar

I believe the Prophecy of Anakin bringing "Balance" to the force was a bit roundabout. He brought balance to the force, yes, but not the way they had forseen or predicted.

First, he culled the overbalanced population of Light Side users down to basically one Jedi Knight (Obi Wan), and one Master (yoda). Give or take stragglers Vader hunted down later. Dark Side was also balanced by only having one Master/Emperor, and one servant. Basically, a 1/1 ratio of prominent Light/Dark Side users.

But this was not the end of the prophecies foretelling. For the Dark Side became too powerful, too overt throughout the Galaxy. The Emperor forced the dark sides will across the Galaxy. Balance through the Skywalkers lineage was still to come.

Second, Luke was born from Vader, who defeated the dark side, and went on to re-create the jedi temple (and if you allow me to go by Jedi Knight Academy story) thereby bringing balance to the force by allowing people to study both the Dark and the Light side of the force, keeping it equal.

So yes, Anakin brought balance to the force, because he ended up giving birth to Luke.

I agree with you there apart from Luke didn't defeat the dark side. Luke would be dead without vader killing Palpertine.

When Vader died, the last of the fully trained Jedi died. This left Luke to start again and start again.

George Lucas was the architect of the Mortis trilogy from the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, and so is his most recent contribution to the whole issue of balance to the Force.

In it, there is clearly a light and dark side of the Force, which must always be in balance. Jedi serve the balance. The Sith disregard the balance. It is not the dark side that must be destroyed, but the Sith.

It has nothing to do with the numbers of Jedi or Sith, either. The Sith do not represent the dark side, as there are other dark side orders in the galaxy. But the Sith do represent imbalance. A significant plot point in the prequels was that of Sidious' rise to power clouding the Force. If the Force was already imbalanced by Sidious' power, what would killing all the Jedi achieve?

More on the Mortis idea, in the arc, Anakin brings balance to the force by causing the destruction of not just the dark side, but the light as well. It's through the actions here, that he learns that the only way to bring balance sometimes is to destroy the forces that need to be kept in check. Not only this, but the way it's done through self sacrifice is almost forshadowing of the way in which Vader acts at the end of RotJ.

My interpretation: The Jedi Order is corrupt, they along with the republic have been in decline for millenia. The Jedi's ideals are flawed, and it's their fault that the Sith were able to rise again to power. The Sith are also far too powerful, They've been an enemy of the republic for thousands of years as well, but in the last thousand, they have become far more powerful through their Rule of Two.

Anakin destroys not just the Jedi Order, but the Rule of Two Sith as well. This is the balance, a fresh start for the Galaxy. Luke's Jedi Order is far different from the old Jedi order.

Lol true actually.

Irrelevant. What he says, goes. Do I like it? Most of the time, no. I'd rather Han shot first. But that's the way it is, and ************ about it won't help anyone.

I'll try and explain the whole balance thing to you despite you clearly refusing to listen to anyone who does.

See the Force as a human body and the Dark Side as cancer. By itself, the human body (or the Force) is balanced. Everything functions like it should. Then along comes "cancer". Cancer gets rid of the body's previous balance and slowly destroys it. It has, in a way, become part of the body. But the body's better off without it.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

How is the dark side cancer. Humans have a dark side, and a light side. So why can't the force.

If the Sith disrupt the balance, then don't the jedi also. If There are no sith the jedi would be in control of everything.

More on the Mortis idea, in the arc, Anakin brings balance to the force by causing the destruction of not just the dark side, but the light as well. It's through the actions here, that he learns that the only way to bring balance sometimes is to destroy the forces that need to be kept in check. Not only this, but the way it's done through self sacrifice is almost forshadowing of the way in which Vader acts at the end of RotJ.

My interpretation: The Jedi Order is corrupt, they along with the republic have been in decline for millenia. The Jedi's ideals are flawed, and it's their fault that the Sith were able to rise again to power. The Sith are also far too powerful, They've been an enemy of the republic for thousands of years as well, but in the last thousand, they have become far more powerful through their Rule of Two.

Anakin destroys not just the Jedi Order, but the Rule of Two Sith as well. This is the balance, a fresh start for the Galaxy. Luke's Jedi Order is far different from the old Jedi order.

Yeah your right about that. Anakin brings balance to the force by destroying the jedi order and the sith. So after that its just as much sith as jedi.