Wow I underestimated my mac

Amandeep

I had an old 13inch macbook pro, with its bad integrated graphics. My PC is way beyond the minimum requirements, yet it couldnt handle this game. Got bored one day, bootcamped my macbook pro and was surprised to see it handle this game better than my custom built pc.

Here are the specs for my PC

Intel Core i7-2600 3.40 GHz

8.00GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 560

2TB Hard Drive

Windows 7 64bit

On even low settings, I was amazed to see less than 20fps on swtor. I mean, this rig can run skyrim on ultra settings, yet it cant handle swtor on low settings?

After 2 weeks of lagging out on the imperial fleet, I decided to test if it would be any different on my 2008 macbook pro 13 using bootcamp with win 7.

I am now getting 60 fps on low, and 30 on high. I dont understand if its just me, or this game is somehow not optimized with windows, but its running fine using bad integrated graphics, yet choppy using the GTX 560.

Edited by Amandeep

Those specs should run SWTOR on max with enough FPS to be on the triple digits...

There has to be something really wrong with it im afraid.

I just ran MW3 ultra settings an hour ago.

Just tested skyrim, ultra settings 60+ fps

For fun, wow on high settings on my pc gives 250 fps. On low it gives 400+

Why does it give under 20 for swtor on the lowest settings?, under 10 on high

I'm having 30-40 fps on a bootcamp'd mid-2011 Mac Mini (ATI 6630) on high.

Most often than not, I can run current games at "high" (No AA) and get decent fps.

They're not built for gaming, but they... just work?

Edited by coldcite

I cant be the only one having fps problems with swtor with good gaming rigs

Ive seen other threads with people having problems with the fps of this game, yet for other more graphically demanding games, it works fine

That's pretty awesome though that it can run great on those games... but that's unusual... maybe it's a bug.

There's no reason you should be having FPS issues with that rig, unless you have driver issues.

Are you by any chance forcing AA and AF in the Nvidia drivers and you forgot about it? I'm running this game on the following:

i5-2500K @4.4

8GB DDR3-1600

2TB 6Gbps HDD 7200RPM

HD5850 1GB @ 825/1150

I run continuously over 60FPS, dropping to the 40s in PvP Warzones. When I did force 8xMSAA in the AMD drivers my framerate dropped significantly, but it was still quite playable. I'm currently forcing 4xMSAA

Solution #1 - Check your Nvidia driver settings to ensure you're not forcing too high of an AA setting

Solution #2 - Strip your drivers completely using a driver cleaning tool and install fresh drivers for your video card.

Solution #3 - Stop all other active programs and move your swap file to a secondary HDD.

I had an old 13inch macbook pro, with its bad integrated graphics. My PC is way beyond the minimum requirements, yet it couldnt handle this game. Got bored one day, bootcamped my macbook pro and was surprised to see it handle this game better than my custom built pc.

Here are the specs for my PC

Intel Core i7-2600 3.40 GHz

8.00GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 560

2TB Hard Drive

Windows 7 64bit

On even low settings, I was amazed to see less than 20fps on swtor. I mean, this rig can run skyrim on ultra settings, yet it cant handle swtor on low settings?

After 2 weeks of lagging out on the imperial fleet, I decided to test if it would be any different on my 2008 macbook pro 13 using bootcamp with win 7.

I am now getting 60 fps on low, and 30 on high. I dont understand if its just me, or this game is somehow not optimized with windows, but its running fine using bad integrated graphics, yet choppy using the GTX 560.

I am gonna go out on a limb to say that you are either not running the latest drivers or that there is a known issue with the drivers that you are currently using. I am not talking just video drivers either.

Start updating drivers and see how it goes from there.

Game 'choppiness' isn't just related to your graphics card. There's tons of other factors that might make your game a little choppy. Net-code, game software, etc etc..

In general, TV's run at around 24 FPS, and we don't see the difference. Of course, modern technology and computer screens alter things a little. But if not for chop due to software/internet, you won't really notice anything over 30 FPS. Nobody needs 60 FPS, or a 150 FPS.

I bet there's something wrong with the 560 drivers perhaps; a guy in my guild got a gtx 560 and he runs at <20 fps, but that could be because of his 200w psu.

Im running a lga1155 i3 2100, 8gb 1600 ram, gtx 460 se, z68 mobo, and i run around 50+ on maxed settings with out vertical sync, it doesn't make it any better looking so I don't bother.

I've been using a Mac Mini late 2010 for a while and that little machine never ceases to amaze me. (Win 7 Home Premium clean config via Bootcamp)

Nvidia 320M with 256 shared and it can play almost every game released at 1280x1024. Weirdly enough though SWTOR performs worse than Skyrim, but it's still smooth and the character/armor detail is fantastic.

I'm getting better than 30 FPS almost everywhere and with 40+ outside of cities and station (60+ in cutscenes). I go with high character detail and medium textures. The secret was turning off shadows and tree/grass down to zero.

I've been using a Mac Mini late 2010 for a while and that little machine never ceases to amaze me. (Win 7 Home Premium clean config via Bootcamp)

Nvidia 320M with 256 shared and it can play almost every game released at 1280x1024. Weirdly enough though SWTOR performs worse than Skyrim, but it's still smooth and the character/armor detail is fantastic.

I'm getting better than 30 FPS almost everywhere and with 40+ outside of cities and station (60+ in cutscenes). I go with high character detail and medium textures. The secret was turning off shadows and tree/grass down to zero.

I think this may be something substantial for players who have choppy fps on pcs, yet have old macbooks lying around