Focus Group Request & Proposed Fixes to PvP issues [Lengthy]

Aneu

/signed

Only problem is server population imbalance.

BIOWARE NEEDS TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEIR PLAYER BASE.

hiring a few ppl to communicate with us is nothing compared to the 300+ million dollars invested into this game so far...

I allready canceled my sub for PvP design reasons, but I am still willing to resub if things change.

The argument "the game is just released" is not an excuse for such unintelligent designs.

Agreed. We always support more interaction with the community and all these suggestions are helpful. There are many other major game devs that have direct interaction and testing with guild in a focus group type setting and it has resulted in some great ideas. A good mmo is one that has a partnership with its players and guilds. A good community relationship should be based on more than marketing/tweeting and forum moderation it starts asking what the community wants and telling them what is coming up.

Muadib on Veela

Really great post, but perhaps I misunderstood one part. I like your idea of ratcheting up dailies by 25% for each piece of gear you have, but if you are going to be rewarded with a bag and 33% RNG for loot at the end of a daily, won't that potentially lead to even more people getting upset by a string of bad rolls.

If you get three bad RNG bags in a row when you have no gear, sucks, but no big deal and only 300 kills that are worthless. While if you have 4 pieces of gear and have the same string of bad luck, now it sucks and you've wasted 732 kills (3 dailies).

I like the fact of the dailies ratcheting up in difficulty, but keeping the RNG for loot seems like it just compounds the problems that already exist.

Generally agree on these ideas except for one major change...

"Kill 100 people on Ilum (50 of these should be on Ilum, 50 must be within the boundaries of an objective)"

This will promote fighting over the objectives rather than the current "swap" mentality...

Resolve needs reworked, slightly, but if they add a time element to the stun break (breaks all forms of CC and makes you immune to CC for 2-3 seconds) far less people would complain.

Let me just clarify. 100 of the kills can be gained on Ilum but only a maximum of 50 can be gained via warzones thus making sure people go to the owpvp areas and fight eachother. So I can do warzones and gain half of my daily quest, however to get the rest I must go to Ilum or Tatooine (note: You could just stay on ilum and get them all ;) )

Really great post, but perhaps I misunderstood one part. I like your idea of ratcheting up dailies by 25% for each piece of gear you have, but if you are going to be rewarded with a bag and 33% RNG for loot at the end of a daily, won't that potentially lead to even more people getting upset by a string of bad rolls.

If you get three bad RNG bags in a row when you have no gear, sucks, but no big deal and only 300 kills that are worthless. While if you have 4 pieces of gear and have the same string of bad luck, now it sucks and you've wasted 732 kills (3 dailies).

I like the fact of the dailies ratcheting up in difficulty, but keeping the RNG for loot seems like it just compounds the problems that already exist.

The problem you have is if you don't have a counter to a linear progression system then people will be fully geared within a week. Having the semi-RNG there and ratchet system nulifies that while still making the game enjoyable. (Remember that you cannot get the same item more than you need to. ie: Implants twice everything else you will only ever gain once due to the checking system.

The other part to it is that if your guild takes part in the Ilum "battle" then your dailies also get updated with your group/raid kills :D so not only does it encourage owpvp it encourages group pvp on a larger scale too.

Edited by Aneu

lol yea, bio wouldnt read your post, say nothing, then release their own post stealing some of your ideas and saying 'yea we have been meaning to do this for ages now' >.>

http://www.swtor.com/blog/new-year%E2%80%99s-pvp-update

bring it on bio, give us the good stuff. if you cant sort your flashpoint bosses out then work on pvp and let us entertain ourselves till you get pve sorted

After just reading the PvP updates it does indeed look like they copied some of the ideas posted here which I must say I am glad to see... Just sad they couldn't have confirmed anything in this thread sooner.

On PvP servers there are no rewards or incentives for engaging in World PvP.

I personally don't need incentives to engage in World PvP. Though evidently many others do, which is why most are in the WZ's.

On PvP servers only, please make it so that World PvP is rewarded with something. It could be gear, titles, valor, anything that encourages people to engage in World PvP.

Oh yeah and please up the population counts so that when people are in the world they can find each other on the same shard.

This is not about PvP but game-play which includes PvE and PvP.

It needs attention.

I stopped reading at Kill People on Ilum

What is your solution to Imbalanced servers ( 1 rep for every 6 imps ) ?

Killing people on Ilum is not an option.

Yea that would not work. Unless you added a battle situation that happened like once every hour or so. Where NPC's from your faction fought NPC's from the other faction and players joined the assault. NPC's giving people daily requirements when killed would be a alternative to people getting farmed. Also another thing they could do is keep it like it is. But if you cap all the bases your daily is completed. An the bases would reset after like 30min or so.

• 2 weeks later...
I stopped reading at Kill People on Ilum

What is your solution to Imbalanced servers ( 1 rep for every 6 imps ) ?

Killing people on Ilum is not an option.

This is my fear as well. How do you encourage Open World PvP on a server where Repubs are outnumbered to such a great degree? Forget 6 to 1, even having 1.5 to 1 makes any large-scale PvP battle extremely lopsided.

While you welcome those numbers, OP, the vast majority of players will not. The failures of Warhammer and Aion show just how destructive lopsided numbers are to a PvP community. While SWTOR isn't nearly as PvP focused as the other two, you cannot write off population imbalances as something most won't care about, and it will probably take more than a simple defensive buff to fix. Blizzard tried that with Wintergrasp and it was an utter failure.

More than likely, any effort to make Ilum a "kill X number of enemies" zone will end in failure unless the server happens to sport an even number.

Edited by McVade

Giev!! The pvp is good, its the functionality and systemic issues that are the problem. Nothing that bioware has done shows me they even understand that.

The idea that some papers could interact on a non impersonal method excites me. The design failures lead me to believe that the designers never suffered through these design flaws before, which if you have played mmo's before you have. There is enough history that I don't want to have to bull through the same mistakes again and again.

I'm republic, I welcome those numbers :)

If it really becomes a problem then introduce a defensive buff to the lowest populated faction. (Offensive buffs break games).

Agreed, I also welcome those numbers and all of the changes that you suggest in your OP

original poster is about as stupid as the BW team that just implimented a patch similiar to what he requested. BTW Ilum is now totally screwed on servers that have very few republicans to begin with.

I'm not sure on other servers, but PvP on my server is one thing and one thing only, HUTBALL.

Edited by Tahllol