The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Tech PvP Gear, DPS or Tank?

Waron

Dinged 50 today and been gathering tank gear for PvPing up until now. I think I've been wrong and will start gathering DPS gear even for PvP Tank spec. This is normal with other classes like Guardian and Shadow but haven't been much discussed for Vanguard / Powertech.

Do you wear DPS gear in PVP if you're Tank spec? Only DPS some pieces? Wich Tank pieces do you avoid and replace with DPS etc.

I try to avoid Shield Rating and Absorbation, and exchange those for DPS slots instead. Works pretty well for me.

If you are deep shield tech build, a tank set may work better since you focus on maximizing your survivability. If you're ST hybrid into AP or Pyro, well it depends on your play style. As ST/Pyro, I use Eliminator set and focus on damage with the perks of being a tank (guarding and jet charge).

I try to avoid Shield Rating and Absorbation, and exchange those for DPS slots instead. Works pretty well for me.

IMO you are doing it wrong. We have two procs that are based on when we Shield, so Shield Rating should always be a priority. Right now sounds like you are trying to be a DPS while using a Tank spec, you are just gimping yourself. Either you go Pyro for DPS, or you accept your role as a Tank, otherwise you just suck as Tanking or suck as DPS. And as a Shield Tech, you definitely want to go with the Supercommando set, not only for the stats, but for the set bonuses which reduce the cooldown on Jet Charge and gives you a 5% boost to your damage when guarding someone. If you're afraid to be useless in PvP, don't be. I'm a Shield Tech and a hardcore PvPer, I more often than not get in the Top 3 and I help A LOT in Warzones. Heck I sometimes get a higher Protection score than the top Damage score in the match. :D

I went ahead and got 50% shield rateing and 40% shield absorbtion.

That required the Tempest purple crafted gear with Augments BUT I can dance with almost everyone. YES it has been ALOT of trial and error working on gear BUT at lvl. 40 I was indestructable with those stats. Now I wait for lvl. 49 and its time to construct another set. I will try atleast and if its useless then I guess Armormech is as broken as everyone claims it is.

I know that lvl'ing with this was FAR from broken, with Mako healing takeing on champions a lvl. or two above with 75k solo was never a problem. And with my ***** DPS thats a rather long fight.

Anyway for PvP 50% shield rateing and 40% shield absorb means that at lvl. 40 I plowed thru lvl. 50ish powertechs who where useing aim / endurance gear.

Oh well.. my rant

Some Powertech in a galaxy far far far far far away!

Ok so your example, you've gone for alot of Shield gear, and still you only get 50% and 40%, that means 1% shield chance is only worth 0.4% Damage reduction...

Even our top tier has 2% shield chance is 0.8% this is worse than tier 2 talents, and much worse than the 8% armor.

You really need the tank gear if you're playing as a tank. You need to be able to heavily negate damage, since Guard will kill you so fast in this game, it's not even funny, especially with AoE damage being thrown around. A healer can't just spam AoE healing to cover the Guarded target and you like in WAR. Guard damage is split before the guarded target's mitigation and goes through your mitigation and avoidance. You also need a ton of Endurance, not only for the extra health, but also to recover the health lost from Guard back over time automatically.

Just try it once in DPS gear. You'll drop in 4 seconds flat while Guarding someone.

• 2 months later...

Check out Taugrim's sticky at the top of this forum for why you should be using DPS gear with your Shield Tech spec in PvP.

Basically, mitigation is subpar in PvP due to the prevalence of Tech and Force attacks, so you're better off shooting for the two 2% flat mitigation talents (in ST and AP) for a total of 9% running IGC, and gearing to still be able to smack the crap out of people.

Dinged 50 today and been gathering tank gear for PvPing up until now. I think I've been wrong and will start gathering DPS gear even for PvP Tank spec. This is normal with other classes like Guardian and Shadow but haven't been much discussed for Vanguard / Powertech.

Do you wear DPS gear in PVP if you're Tank spec? Only DPS some pieces? Wich Tank pieces do you avoid and replace with DPS etc.

Apparently most of the people who replied to you either did not read what you were asking or are clueless.

- Yes for PvP you would lean toward the dps gear.

- In PvP you want Mitigation, not defense and shield. As many of the damage you take will bypass them anyways.

- If you want to take PvP seriously than forget full tank spec. Either go with a hybrid st/pt and stay in IGC with shield generator, or go a min 25 pyro for full dps. In both cases you want to stay in dps gear.

Forget anyone saying that you would drop in 4sec in dps gear. Maybe if you are AFK, and somehow can throw a couple of railshots on yourself lol.

In fact, I constantly tank HM FPs in FULL dps gear. I just spec hybrid with 21 in ST and use a shield.

Played right, PTs are insane beasts in a WZ.