Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Commando PVP armour confusion

tormentz

Hey, recently turned 50 and started to grind PVP as a Gunnary build. started to get my first pieces of Champion gear. I think ive chosen the wrong gear? i have chosen Combat Tech which has the (Crit/Surge) but the bonuses have Vanguard skills?, surely Crit/surge is better then the +Power/Accuracy you get with the Eliminator Gear. Edited by tormentz

Eliminator is the set aimed at Commando DPS if you go by the set bonuses. However if you don't like the set bonuses there is nothing stopping you from mix n match to what you want. The 4 pc bonus for Combat Tech is great for Vanguard DPS. The 4 pc bonus for Eliminator is great for Assault and okay for Gunnery.

Accuracy is important for Commando DPS, the base Accuracy for Ranged attacks is 90%, that's at least 10% chance of missing not even counting the 5% or more Defense an enemy could have. Missing a Grav Round isn't a good thing in PvP, it could make all the difference. Where as several powerful Vanguard attacks are Tech attacks and its base Accuracy is 100%.

The most confusing thing of all, is the set name for the tanking set, Supercommando, nice work BW.

Edited by Astares

Having the same issue here. Got the tokens for helm and gloves. Eliminator has the best set bonus but Combat Tech has the nicer stats. The choices we sometimes have to make. :confused:

Edit: Hmm, seems the crit/surge/power are set in the mods. So theoritically I suppose you could rip the mods out from the Combat Tech and put them in the Eliminator thus having both the stats and the set bonus.

Edited by Lhorian

I did the same thing. 2 Champion pieces and now I realize I had purchased the Vanguard gear instead of the Commando Eliminator gear. I put in a ticket and fully expect to have my gear exchanged.

Did you ever get a response? I put in a similar ticket a few days ago and have yet to hear anything. :/

I don't think they will do anything for you. Gear is so easy to come by that by the time they respond, you'll have 8 duplicate chest pieces.

For future reference though, look at the stats. Eliminator has higher DPS and lower survivability for the DPS Commando and Combat Tech has higher endurance and lower power/crit for the tanky vanguard dps.

We serve different roles and our stats reflect that.

Eliminator - Commando DPS

Combat Medic - Commando Healer

Combat Tech - Vanguard DPS

Supercommando - Vanguard Tank

Edited by LordKivlov

As a Gunnery Commando approaching 50, I'd really appreciate it if someone could list the set bonuses for both the Combat Tech and Eliminator sets, or else explain how I can find this out for myself without buying a piece of gear.

They are sold by merchants in fleet. They are in the "combat training" section.

Except they don't show the set bonus until you actually buy the piece. Knotor.com is the only site I've found that lists the set bonus.

Eliminator has: (2p) Reduces the cooldown of Jet Boost or Concussion Charge by 5 seconds and (4p) Increases the critical chance of Rail Shot or High Impact Bolt by 15%.

Combat Tech: (2p) Increases the duration of Carbonize or Neural Surge by 0.5 seconds, and reduces the cooldown of Determination or Tenacity by 15 seconds and (4p) Increases the critical chance of Rocket Punch or Stockstrike by 15%.

Edited by Lhorian

As a Gunnery Commando approaching 50, I'd really appreciate it if someone could list the set bonuses for both the Combat Tech and Eliminator sets, or else explain how I can find this out for myself without buying a piece of gear.

Eliminator is your set. DO NOT BUY COMBAT TECH AS A COMMANDO.

Yes and No. First and foremost we have to understand that the set bonuses by the eliminator set is indeed designed for us. However if you look at the crit bonuses you achieve by the mod's on the combat tech spec, you will notice that you will increase your burst damage significantly as you obtain more of this set.

The power you achieve from the eliminator set does not (IMO) outweigh the extra potential of critical strike chance.

The set bonuses are clearly better, however, again, do not outweigh the base crit stats you get from the combat tech gear.

Ultimately you could obtain both set pieces, and utilize the crit modifications on the eliminator as well as achive the set bonuses.

All in all however, i honestly feel that the set bonuses given are not that significant of a change to make you feel as tho you made a wrong choice by going with combat tech. As long as you didnt go super commando as a DPS, I think you are more than in good shape!

True the crit and surge is a little better, however you also hit large diminishing returns once you have 2 pieces of gear with surge on it. The third piece only gives roughly 6% instead of 8% and 9% of the first 2 pieces. Anything past the third piece is just wasting stat points.

As for the crit issue, I am a firm believer that you should be wearing 2 piece PvE eliminator set bonus in PvP. It gives charged bolts and grav rounds (your most used abilities) 15% crit, making stacking crit unappealing. Power and accuracy doesn't hit nearly as much DR as surge does, and still less than crit.

However, the amount of gear you do get is absolutely atrocious so it's not too bad of an idea to pick up gear with stats you do want and take the mods out of them and put them into the gear you do want it in. I took apart my champion gloves to put the stats into my tionese to keep my 4 piece set bonus since the t1 gloves weren't up to snuff without the item level 56 mods.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.