Return of the Jedi title meaning

GhostNine

May be ridiculous to some on here but...

Is "Return of the Jedi" singular? As in Luke Skywalker returns from prevoius defeat to face Vader, etc?

OR is it plural meaning the return of the Jedi Order due to Luke's path?

In 29 years I have never considered this. So it kind of turns the meaning a bit.

Side note: Mark Hamill's other movie Corvette Summer had the same effect on me in that I always considered the CAR to be "Summer" or "of the Summer", whereas really "Corvette" is the adjective to the noun "Summer"

Edited by GhostNine

I think it means return of the Jedi order. As for Luke specifically, he wasn't a Jedi in The Empire Strikes Back. Also, Luke isn't really "returning" anywhere. He's just meeting Vader again, somewhere else.

First of all, the title "Return of the Jedi" originally had no meaning to the story at all, since the original title of the film was "Revenge of the Jedi", but was changed after the film was shot because Lucas and the writers felt that it is not in the Jedi's nature to seek vengeance.

But the primary meaning in the title after that is for the return from exile of the Jedi to commonplace existence, the return to peace after then death of Palpatine since the Jedi were the guardians of peace in the universe, and the return to freedom from oppression.

I like the concept of Vader's Redemption, and I see that as the driving factor behind the title "Revenge of the Jedi" because Anakin finally gets his vengeance for what Darth Sidious did to him. But alas, the only real meaning is the one Lucas gave it. For that, you will have to consult him (or the movies special features) that talk about it.