So how does the Galactic Republic's government work?

junitincorp

so i was thinking, is the galactic republic like the UN, or the USA?

like is each planet its own country with its own government and the galactic republic is like the United nations?

or is it like the USA where each planet is a state and all the states make up one country?

basically my question is, is the republic one country or seperate counties?

what do you think?

Edited by junitincorp
grammar mistakes

From my reading of the book, I would say probably closest to my understanding of the EU.

'The Republic', Set many things, such as: Currency, outlawing slavery, Spice, etc

However, Planets / Systems have their own goverment and usually their own defense force, etc.

From my reading of the book, I would say probably closest to my understanding of the EU.

'The Republic', Set many things, such as: Currency, outlawing slavery, Spice, etc

However, Planets / Systems have their own goverment and usually their own defense force, etc.

each planet in the republic does share the same military tho

The Galactic Republic is a unicameral federal republic, it's likely closest to a country like the United States, where each planet is essentially a state. They hold their own local governments, have their own laws, but have given up their rights to local military and currency for a centralized federal power structure.

so i was thinking, is the galactic republic like the UN, or the USA?

like is each planet its own country with its own government and the galactic republic is like the United nations?

or is it like the USA where each planet is a state and all the states make up one country?

basically my question is, is the republic one country or seperate counties?

what do you think?

Seems more like the UN wants to be. Republic planets forgo their right of defense, having only small militaries for planetary security and defer their protection to the Jedi, who hand squabbles that may arise between planets. Either the Jedi can broker a peace, or they act swiftly against the aggressor. This is why the Trade Federation was able to attack Naboo. Amidala was certain the Senate, who probably collected exorbitant taxes that were quickly eaten up by Republic bureaucracy, would handle the invasion, and there was no reason to commit forces, who may get killed, to Naboo's defense. If Lucas had been a better writer, the whole arc could have been very compelling for how a twisted politician, like Palpatine, a Manchurian candidate really, used the Republics bloated bureaucracy to become a dictator. It should also serve as a lesson, never entrust your planet, or your nations, security to an outside entity.