The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I didn't unsubscribe, and here's why

Jimer_Lins

I preordered the game after staying away from it intentionally until the open beta weekends. I played a Sith Inquisitor because my guild from SWG was going to roll Republic and I didn't want to spoil the story.

Got in toward the end of EGA and I've been having a blast with the game. My guild and I are really enjoying ourselves. I've worked my Consular up to 31, and the story has been very engaging and entertaining, and the group content has really been fun also- the first Flashpoint I did was with some guildmates and a friend of a friend and we just destroyed it in true Action Movie Hero style. It really did feel like being in Star Wars.

A bit before Christmas I decided that my son, who had been watching me play from time to time, would really enjoy the game- so he got his own copy. We rolled new level one characters together on another server and we've been playing the game together. He went Jedi Knight and I've gone Smuggler. I even went so far as to put a local vent server up so we can talk to each other.

What's amazing to me is how much MORE fun the game becomes when you work closely with another player to level together and take missions/quests at the same time so you can both be part of the side stories and at least be observers in the other's class quest.

I've been around MMOs for quite a while. Although I never played World of Warcraft- I've never been interested in it for some reason- I've played my share of others, including a long stint in SWG (of course) and EVE Online.

I've seen gamebreaking problems, and games released with little or no content, stability problems, massive lag, completely exploitable bugs and more. I've seen patch days that became patch weeks. I've seen the horror.

This game has had the smoothest release of any MMO I've seen or heard of. Its gameplay is fun, has a great storyline, decent graphics and some innovative mechanics. Not all of it is perfect- some of it is downright vexing. But I also have a sense of perspective and I'm frankly in awe of how much work and craftsmanship has gone into this game.

But in the end, I knew this game was great when I had to go upstairs and tell my son that it was time for bed and I really didn't want to- because I was having so much fun. Warts and all, it's truly a great game and I know it'll get better.

Reaching 50 and requiring to be constantly spoon fed new content or gathering some new gear to prove your self worth to other gamers is the bane of the MMO genre. Raidng is a poor excuse for quality game play and ruins an MMO.

Great and interesting story telling is what an MMO needs and has been missing. Thank you Bioware for bringing a bit of RPG back into MMOs. Anyone wanting to endlessly farm loot like hamsters on a wheel should return to whatever gaming hell they left.

Thanks

Edited by recondelta

Reaching 50 and requiring to be constantly spoon fed new content or gathering some new gear to prove your self worth to other gamers is the bane of the MMO genre. Raidng is a poor excuse for quality game play and ruins an MMO.

Great and interesting story telling is what an MMO needs and has been missing. Thank you Bioware for bringing a bit of RPG back into MMOs. Anyone wanting to endlessly farm loot like hamsters on a wheel should return to whatever gaming hell they left.

Thanks

Why are people so deluded to think that RPG means it has to have a story? Some of the worst storyline games have amazing Role Playing crowds.

come back when you reach 50

Maybe he plans to *GASP* roll an alt at 50, experience a bit more of the game's wonderful story, and wait for the endgame to flesh out?

Did you know WoW didn't even have raids when it launched? It took weeks to get MC up and running.

TOR is in a good place. It'll be in a far better place when this crowd of naysayers moves on to troll the next "next thing's" forums.

Edited by AJediKnight

Maybe he plans to *GASP* roll an alt at 50, experience a bit more of the game's wonderful story, and wait for the endgame to flesh out?

Did you know WoW didn't even have raids when it launched? It took weeks to get MC up and running.

TOR is in a good place. It'll be in a far better place when this crowd of naysayers moves on to troll the next "next thing's" forums.

These are the exact same comebacks that I read over and over again in; AOC, Rift, Vanguard and a few others.

It's a shame because up until now I've never seen any of these posts proven right after two or three months, 100% of the time the game ends up with dreary subscription numbers and ending up having to sack quite a few employees.

Dropping "Did you know WoW didn't have x" won't keep players in this game, it won't keep debit/credit cards attached to account and it sure as hell won't keep servers full.

We'll see though.

What angers you haters the most: The fact you dislike SWTOR, or the fact the cheers of 1.5 million players are starting to drown out your complaint

I don't intend to unsubscribe as I have too many friends playing so don't get the wrong impression but I don't see this being the 'next big thing'. I will be surprised if they maintain a 50% retention ratio.

See you think that the 'whiners' are a minority but the sad fact is, they are a minority of a majority that don't complain, others will simply just unsubscribe without voicing concerns.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

I don't intend to unsubscribe as I have too many friends playing so don't get the wrong impression but I don't see this being the 'next big thing'. I will be surprised if they maintain a 50% retention ratio.

See you think that the 'whiners' are a minority but the sad fact is, they are a minority of a majority that don't complain, others will simply just unsubscribe without voicing concerns.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

Prepare to be happy! :)

I would argue that you actually enjoyed doing something together with your son rather than enjoying Star Wars for the game it is.

And I would retort that you don't have any idea why I might enjoy doing something, and that your projection of your own issues onto my experience speaks more about you than it does me. :)

But thanks for the input.

I'm in a clan for a game called World of Tanks. Unfortunately some of our guys ended up scattered all over due to server qeues and varying early access times. 3 or 4 of them were pretty hardcore WoW players. I have yet to hear a single major complaint from any of the former WoW players. We're all too damned busy having fun to complain. I'm looking forward to when server transfers are implemented and we can get all of our guys and gals together and do some raiding.

/Level 30 Sith Assasin.

I'm in a clan for a game called World of Tanks. Unfortunately some of our guys ended up scattered all over due to server qeues and varying early access times. 3 or 4 of them were pretty hardcore WoW players. I have yet to hear a single major complaint from any of the former WoW players. We're all too damned busy having fun to complain. I'm looking forward to when server transfers are implemented and we can get all of our guys and gals together and do some raiding.

/Level 30 Sith Assasin.

There are complaints all over these forums.

Just like there are on the "big" WoW forum board. MMO-C.