The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Powertech just need a little leveling and PVP advise

sanosukex

Just started playing a powertech(level 14 now) been jedi flavors since beta.. anyway I went powertech because i want to be able to do decent damage in PVP and still not be a glass canon.. I also MUST have jet charge at some point.. Now i mostly just do PUGs when It comes to PVP and flashpoints so what should I focus on first?

Was thinking going up pyro till I got high enough to spec jet charge the respec. Or should I just go straight up to jet charge as I level.. any suggestions are appreciated:)

Definitely go Pyrotech at low levels. It has very sound damage output right from the start, and since all of the tree's core abilities are available at level 10 (or 14, I guess - Rail Shot, Rocket Punch, and Flame Burst plus the Cylinder are all you really need), you're good to go right from the start. Pro plays, in my opinion, far more smoothly than either other tree, since your cooldown refresh proc and heat vent proc are both triggered by the player (whereas Shield Tech's Flame Shield and Shield Vents are pure RNG, and tracking the 8-second autovent of Advanced Prototype can be difficult).

Jet Charge is great in a group PVE and a PVP environment, but I caution against Shield Tech for leveling. Especially if you enjoy Mako's healbotting, you'll find the DPS output of Shield Tech to be extremely subpar, and unlikely in other MMOs where you can level as a Tank and AoE pull your heart out, Shield Tech offers a very limited increase in survivability against larger groups of enemies, especially at a higher level.

Do what you want, of course.

I leveled as ST 1-45 right now. I never had problem wiping out mobs and NEVER once died to a champion or elite mob. It takes longer to kill mobs, but when you and Mako are fully geared in blue+ gear you will rarely see your health below 80%.