Bounty Hunter stat priority

Dastey

Ok so I have been level 50 for about a week now I believe and I am wondering what the stat priority is for Bounty Hunters (More specifically mercenaries)

Surge: There seems to be a cap on 100% and its on dimnishing returns, the first 50 rating gives 9% where as the next 765 rating gives a total of 46%

Crit: 411 crit rating gives 14,9%

Power: 411 power gives 94,5 bonus damage

Base weapon damage: 264 - 491

Weapon damage bonus: 381

Damage (pri): 6445 - 8715

If I downscale my damage bonus to 139 I do 4028 - 6298

So 242 bonus damage gives 2417 extra damage on primary weapon

That means 411 power gives an extra 944 Bonus damage on primary weapon

So what would you guys say is the best stat and to what degree?

411 power for 944 extra damage

411 crit for 14,9% crit

And in case you feel like its crit how much surge % do you think is needed in order for crit to be the better stat?

Edited by Dastey

Just some more numbers:

The bonus damage from power is 10,4% of my total main hand weapon damage

14,9% crit with my current 66% surge would be 14,9 * 0,66 = 9,834% extra damage.

So to me it seems like crit is a pretty awesome stat mixed with surge compared to power.

But since im no mathmatician anyone that can break anything down?

Edited by Dastey

My bounty hunter is only a lvl 34 powertech. But im guessing that unless u have a really high crit chance then the added damage all the time is better than added damage some of the time, ie. when u crit. It depends how much you crit tho ofcourse. I dont know how much crit percentage you could reasonabily have.

I think you prefer to either have more crit or more power depending on what dps tree you go into.

I play a Mercinary Pyrotech.

In my build all the damage from Combustible Gas Cylinder, Incendiary Missile, Rail Shot, and Thermal Detonator deal an additional 30% damage when they crit. So with surge capped at 100%, the damage from those crits is 130%.

Getting Critical hits also shortens the cooldown on Thermal Sensor Override giving my free casts on incendiary missile more often, which is my highest heat generating ability.

As a result my overall damage output becomes stronger, and more sustained the higher my crit % is.

For most BH builds, Power will be better due to having far more dot effects. For mine I actually like crit because I run with the combustible gas cylinder and I bonus to crit hit damage.

Truthfully, it will always depend on build for the most part.

For most BH builds, Power will be better due to having far more dot effects. For mine I actually like crit because I run with the combustible gas cylinder and I bonus to crit hit damage.

Truthfully, it will always depend on build for the most part.

This is a good point. For example, with an arsenal build I would definitely say to go crit because you don't have any DoT except for fusion missile. The increased crit will trigger "Terminal Velocity" to vent heat more often, increasing overall dps.

If I were pyro it would probably be better to go with +power.

There's a thread about this on the merc forum. To summarize, everything has diminishing returns, which means focusing on one thing is bad.

I'm not gonna say my theorycrafting is perfect, but from what I've figured out it seems Power is way stronger than everything else. This all depends on what stats you have etc ofc, but I'm currently equipped in almost full columi with some champion parts (which is what most people will have) which is my basis for the calculation.

After Power you definitely want pretty high crit for the synergy with Terminal Velocity. I'm currently sitting on a 39% crit-rate buffed and got 4-set and I'm not quite at the breaking point where I never ever overheat. I can more or less hold a rotation without HSM, but because of how instant abilities work with the heat mechanic HSM seems to push me over the edge. It's very hard to tell though if stacking this much crit over power is worth it (for constant special ability usage) without having a parser.

Edited by Airees

There's a thread about this on the merc forum. To summarize, everything has diminishing returns, which means focusing on one thing is bad.

I'm not gonna say my theorycrafting is perfect, but from what I've figured out it seems Power is way stronger than everything else. This all depends on what stats you have etc ofc, but I'm currently equipped in almost full columi with some champion parts (which is what most people will have) which is my basis for the calculation.

After Power you definitely want pretty high crit for the synergy with Terminal Velocity. I'm currently sitting on a 39% crit-rate buffed and got 4-set and I'm not quite at the breaking point where I never ever overheat. I can more or less hold a rotation without HSM, but because of how instant abilities work with the heat mechanic HSM seems to push me over the edge. It's very hard to tell though if stacking this much crit over power is worth it (for constant special ability usage) without having a parser.

Another thing that is forgotten, is that Power also increases crit damage. Crit is useful for builds specializing in maximizing crit damage or occurance.

• 4 weeks later...

I"m noticing that aim is..... pretty bad after a point.

With my current gear, 1 point of Aim is worth .19 Bonus damage and .0065% crit.

1 Power Rating is worth .23 bonus damage

1 Crit Rating is worth .035% crit.

So basically, 1 aim is slightly worse than 1 power (because of the extra 9% aim I get per point due to talents).

For healing the ratios are the same, though the values are lower

One point of Crit is worth nearly 55 times the amount of crit rating you get from a point of aim, so figuring that into the value of a point of aim when comparing gear is pretty much worthless

Basically, secondary stats > primary stats. This makes crafted gear superior to T3 outside of the set bonuses.

My stats:

1777 Aim

115 Cunning

259 Power

353 Crit

302 Surge

242 Alacrity

0 Accuracy (I'm a healer yay)

I"m noticing that aim is..... pretty bad after a point.

With my current gear, 1 point of Aim is worth .19 Bonus damage and .0065% crit.

1 Power Rating is worth .23 bonus damage

1 Crit Rating is worth .035% crit.

So basically, 1 aim is slightly worse than 1 power (because of the extra 9% aim I get per point due to talents).

For healing the ratios are the same, though the values are lower

One point of Crit is worth nearly 55 times the amount of crit rating you get from a point of aim, so figuring that into the value of a point of aim when comparing gear is pretty much worthless

Basically, secondary stats > primary stats. This makes crafted gear superior to T3 outside of the set bonuses.

My stats:

1777 Aim

115 Cunning

259 Power

353 Crit

302 Surge

242 Alacrity

0 Accuracy (I'm a healer yay)

power is not better than aim: aim gives damage, healing, crit rating, accuracy, surge rating, power only gives damage and healing bonus

aim > power > crit rating > surge; alacrity would be in there someplace if you are a healer, not so much if you are dps

the debate is mostly meaningless anyway as the best gear in the game cannot be modded or comes with the best mods in them already (good luck finding better than rakata or the mods that come with rakata), the top 3 tiers of armor cannot have the armor slot switched and the other 2 slots come pre modded with better than you can get elsewhwere

you basically pick the set that is appropriate to your tree and thats what you are stuck with. there are 4 names for high end bounty hunter gear sets:

the dps mercenary is: eliminator, its a mix of aim, power, crit rating and surge with aim highest, power second, than crit than surge

the other 3 set names are for merc healer, powertech tank and power tech dps. the merc healer set is obvious with alacrity on everything, the powertech sets have more defense and absorb options