Updating Computer Hardware - Bottleknecking

ogchad

again, just from personal experience from using google atm the 1156 processors seem slightly weaker than the lGA 1155 processors. (not significant enough to matter really) The price increase from a i5> a I7 is barely even worth the price increase. IMO the only way you could justify going with an i7 over the i5 is if your getting the Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition

(12M Cache, 3.33 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) but thats well over $1,049 on newegg. you should be fine with a Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor listed on newegg for a measly $219. As of right now i think the game just isn't optimized for quad-core and is just laggy in general. It's not just your computer's fault. But a new cpu will help you all around and is never a bad idea.

The power supply should be sufficent, yes. But yes I noticed the 12V thing too... let me google a bit :D

What I just noticed, the max memory speed of your mainboard and CPU is 1333, so the 1666 is a bit of a waste, but thats not really lowering your performance. Do you run your ram in dual channel mode (2x 2GB) or do you only have 1x 4 GB?

Edited by RachelAnne

The power supply should be sufficent, yes. But yes I noticed the 12V thing too... let me google a bit :D

What I just noticed, the max memory speed of your mainboard and CPU is 1333, so the 1666 is a bit of a waste, but thats not really lowering your performance. Do you run your ram in dual channel mode (2x 2GB) or do you only have 1x 4 GB?

dual channel mode, have 2 sticks of 4 gig, 1 stick for each black slot on the board, total of 8 gigs. If that's what you mean. Sorry im a novice in all of this.

My ram shows at 1600 and my board says it supports 1600, or im looking at it wrong =/

Thank you for helping me out!

Edited by ogchad

dual channel mode, have 2 sticks of 4 gig, 1 stick for each black slot on the board, total of 8 gigs. If that's what you mean. Sorry im a novice in all of this.

My ram shows at 1600 and my board says it supports 1600, or im looking at it wrong =/

Thank you for helping me out!

Ya thats what I ment ^^ good dual channel is important, so thats not the problem.

The i3 - 540 chip itself does only support 1066 or 1333 :( But thats not really a big issue, the ram will just run at 1333, which is fine - no worries.

I am not sure what advice I should give you, because there is no "yes it will work better with the quad" or a "no it wont run better". You can try it out, but it will most likely not help that much.

If people with a 4 core AMD have trouble, then I doubt that a mid range intel 4 core will help that much. I really think SWTOR is the problem, it cant adress the cores right - at the 2500k it does not matter that much, as the single cores are a lot stronger allready but if you buy a quad with less then 3GhZ, then it seems to limit the performance a lot.

About your power supply, the real W on your 12v you get if you take the AP*12V = if I am right it is about 240W, which is really low - but I also should say that I dont really know the company well enough to be sure. A good PS usually has about 40 AP on the 12v, which is about 430W, sufficent for most systems today. Your PS seems to have 20 AP only.

Maybe someone else can help you out there more, I dont want to give you a wrong answer there, I did just google the specifications and never had such a PS in my own hands. If it really only has about 240 then it could cause problems sooner or later. If you buy a Power supply always look at the power of the 12v+ :)

Maybe safe a bit more money and then go for a 2500 + 1155 socket mainboard, but even then the GPU might still need an upgrade.

Or you can hope that BW does release an update for the game, its really not that well coded atm.

A last try would be disabling AA in your catalyst control center and check if vsync is disabled. But I guess you allready tried this.

Sorry that I cant give you a better answer :(

Edited by RachelAnne