FORCE LIGHTNING!!!! and madness skills

Latinmagic

So Force Lightning has been talked about in a thousand and one threads, and this will hopefully be the thousand and two but just in case you didnt read the others the argument is something like this: force lightning is a channel damage over time ability so shouldnt it benefit from effects and skills that boost damage over time abilities such as crushing darkness and affliction???

personally i think it should as all the skills that bolster damage over time abilities say that they have to be that "damage over time" and what is force lightning but damage over time in channeled form? isnt it still a DOT? the fact that it doesnt get any boosts from parasitism or deathmark is kind of dissappointing for someone like me that specs purely into madness because of the possibilities of this, but as it stands right now the devs have not made it clear and force lightning does not benefit from the skills that boost DOTs. as has been mentioned in other threads it was treated as a DOT before so why the sudden change after beta? and while both sides of the argument "force lightning is a dot or not?" have some good points if you think about it, it really is a DOT its basically the definition of a DOT, to deny this is like saying lightning strike is a DOt because it has a channel time, or turkey is chicken because its a bird....

its just NO.... -_-''

but thats it for me hopefully this summerized most of the forve lightning threads out there and please feel free to post your own side/ complains/ stories/ views on the subject i mean really, what would the forums be if we didnt have all the players and trolls input lol

hey who knows, maybe if we all complained hard enough Bioware will acknowledge us and say something, hell they may even change something 0_0 wouldnt that be something BWAHAHAHA!

DoT's and channels are different. The things that boost them are different. For instance, a 20% boost to a DoT affects only the initial burst, not the ticks, but it effects a channel the whole time. But our 20% DoT tic boost (name eludes me) affects only the ticks and not the initial burst, so it doesn't effect channles.

Channels and DoTs are just fundamentally different in every way.

...i kind of understand what your saying but a 20% boost to a DOT wouldnt that affect its total damage output not just its initial bust especially if it doesnt have an initial burst like affliction? and for deathmark (the skill whose name eluded you, nearly eluded me too) that skill specifically says it boosts your DOTs damage by 20% everytime it deals damage and only does it 10 times which makes sense

as for DOTs being different from channeled abilities, for me its more like if the ability has a channel time and THEN does something cool its completly diff, but if it has a channel time and its doing damage while its channeling that is technically a damage over time ability which should be boosted by things that increase damge when its deal over time

and btw the only DOT with an initial burst is crushing darkness, and then the last madness skill (name eludes me -_-') but force lightning and affliction dont have initial bursts

Edited by Latinmagic

...i kind of understand what your saying but a 20% boost to a DOT wouldnt that affect its total damage output not just its initial bust especially if it doesnt have an initial burst like affliction? and for deathmark (the skill whose name eluded you, nearly eluded me too) that skill specifically says it boosts your DOTs damage by 20% everytime it deals damage and only does it 10 times which makes sense

as for DOTs being different from channeled abilities, for me its more like if the ability has a channel time and THEN does something cool its completly diff, but if it has a channel time and its doing damage while its channeling that is technically a damage over time ability which should be boosted by things that increase damge when its deal over time

and btw the only DOT with an initial burst is crushing darkness, and then the last madness skill (name eludes me -_-') but force lightning and affliction dont have initial bursts

Unless DoT damage is calculated in some screwy way it shouldn't really matter and i'm not quite sure what the other guy means by initial burst.

If you read the spells, they say they do X damage over Y time. To make this simple, let's do 1500 Damage over 15 seconds with a tick every 3 seconds. So we have 5 total ticks at this rate so each has to be for 300 damage to get the 1500 damage total. Now if your DoT spell has an additional %20 damage multiplier, then it would be 1.2 x 1500 = 1800. So now all dot ticks are 360. If it's applied after the damage is divided by the ticks then it would still be 360 (hence why i'm confused as to what the other guy said). I'd assume the dots have normal crit chance every time they tick as well so your damage could be higher than the 1800 obviously.

Anyone know if you can resist a DoT tick? Or would you just resist the initial casting of the dot?