Tell me why AS is better for PvP

PhocusM

Ok, I've been looking around the forums and every post i go to i see people saying i use gunnery for pvp and then people comment oh what are you doing AS is way better mobility etc well what should i be doing? I tried it once didn't like it but i was most likely playing it wrong so i'm asking for some assistance and why is it better, in my gunnery spec i get like maybe 5 - 8 deaths a game and i do usually 100k-250k damage, (level 44 atm)

Ok, I've been looking around the forums and every post i go to i see people saying i use gunnery for pvp and then people comment oh what are you doing AS is way better mobility etc well what should i be doing? I tried it once didn't like it but i was most likely playing it wrong so i'm asking for some assistance and why is it better, in my gunnery spec i get like maybe 5 - 8 deaths a game and i do usually 100k-250k damage, (level 44 atm)

Hi Phocus! Actually, there are very passionate supporters of both spec's right now. Unfortunately, we can not make any definitive cases for either side at the moment. We just don't have access to all the facts of how all the mechanics work. When it comes down to it: It's all about your personal choice in play style right now. If you find gunnery to work out better for you, then go with gunnery. There are actually two threads on this very matter that I suggest you check out.

xPRTx's thread at : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=71792

My thread at: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108145

Check them out. :)

Hi Phocus! Actually, there are very passionate supporters of both spec's right now. Unfortunately, we can not make any definitive cases for either side at the moment. We just don't have access to all the facts of how all the mechanics work. When it comes down to it: It's all about your personal choice in play style right now. If you find gunnery to work out better for you, then go with gunnery. There are actually two threads on this very matter that I suggest you check out.

xPRTx's thread at : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=71792

My thread at: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108145

Check them out. :)

I've checked them out, i'm still curious to like is there a general rotation to AS? i'm re-specing right now gonna give it another shot.

I've checked them out, i'm still curious to like is there a general rotation to AS? i'm re-specing right now gonna give it another shot.

Well AS can't really keep to any reliable rotation and we have to go more by a priority system. I don't want to release a priority list and implie that it is in any way a definitive list to follow. I simply do not have all the facts to back it up mathmatically right now.

I can tell you what priority list I'm using for myself until I can create something a bit more solid. Remember, this list is simply based on my own my own experience and observations; nothing more.

For Single target:

1st Priority) HIB if able.

2nd Priority) If Ammo is below 60% Hammer shot until at least 60%

3rd Priority) Incendiary Bolt if your IB is not present or falling off.

4th Priority) Full Auto if it is off CD and if HIB is on CD.

5th Priority) Charged Bolt

This would then change once the boss hit's 30% health with Plasma grenade taking 3rd priority and moving everything else under it down one notch. You can of course increase your damage by working in your recharge clip ability to dip into your ammo then bringing it right back to around 60%.

For Flash Point AoE I generally Plasma -> Sticky -> Mortar -> Hail of Bolts. AoE packs are generally wiped out at that point with maybe a Elite hanging onto the last 5% of his health as your group members are finishing him off. I always try to get off at least a hammer shot before he goes down ;)

Well AS can't really keep to any reliable rotation and we have to go more by a priority system. I don't want to release a priority list and implie that it is in any way a definitive list to follow. I simply do not have all the facts to back it up mathmatically right now.

I can tell you what priority list I'm using for myself until I can create something a bit more solid. Remember, this list is simply based on my own my own experience and observations; nothing more.

For Single target:

1st Priority) HIB if able.

2nd Priority) If Ammo is below 60% Hammer shot until at least 60%

3rd Priority) Incendiary Bolt if your IB is not present or falling off.

4th Priority) Full Auto if it is off CD and if HIB is on CD.

5th Priority) Charged Bolt

This would then change once the boss hit's 30% health with Plasma grenade taking 3rd priority and moving everything else under it down one notch. You can of course increase your damage by working in your recharge clip ability to dip into your ammo then bringing it right back to around 60%.

For Flash Point AoE I generally Plasma -> Sticky -> Mortar -> Hail of Bolts. AoE packs are generally wiped out at that point with maybe a Elite hanging onto the last 5% of his health as your group members are finishing him off. I always try to get off at least a hammer shot before he goes down ;)

I tried it out again, i sorta used your priority myself without knowing yours and its just not how a mobility class should be i couldn't do much, i'm going to stick with gunnery for now.

That's right, you were more focusing on PvP. I just gave you my PvE priority list. I apologize. I'm doing multiple things at the moment and forgot you were talking primarily about PvP. Sorry about that! Edited by Scotfo

That's right, you were more focusing on PvP. I just gave you my PvE priority list. I apologize. I'm doing multiple things at the moment and forgot you were talking primarily about PvP. Sorry about that!

It's what ever i'll stick to gunnery for now like i said, i'll give it a while and people will figure all this mumbo jumbo out.

I'm also curious about how people are using the AS spec in pvp. I'm usually Gunnery but I switched over like 10 levels ago and did a few Warzones. I felt like I was out of ammo more often and was doing less overall damage.

I also don't really see where the "More Mobility" argument comes from. Sure, you're putting out some DoT damage, but you'll still have to start spamming charged bolts and/or full auto to actually kill people. Maybe I'm just stuck in the Turret mindset of Gunnery spec and I don't know how to use AS properly.

I'm also curious about how people are using the AS spec in pvp. I'm usually Gunnery but I switched over like 10 levels ago and did a few Warzones. I felt like I was out of ammo more often and was doing less overall damage.

I also don't really see where the "More Mobility" argument comes from. Sure, you're putting out some DoT damage, but you'll still have to start spamming charged bolts and/or full auto to actually kill people. Maybe I'm just stuck in the Turret mindset of Gunnery spec and I don't know how to use AS properly.

The mobility argument comes from hammershot dealing more damage to burning targets + plasma cell dealing a decent amount of damage. You have Assault Plastique (inferior in every way to demolition round in my honest opinion because it's not AoE like sticky nade, is delayed damage and cannot be charged up or benefit from any armour penetration that grav round / ap cell brings.) and Incendiary Round to use while you're running around.

If you're moving all the time, then you're not using one of the main reasons to go AS which is the cooldown reset on HIB from charged bolts/full auto. I did fairly good damage as an AS when I specced it but I spent a lot of my time tab targeting and incendiarying people and hammershotting to snare randoms while tossing APlastique on healers and then HIB/CBolting them. I didn't really feel like I was doing a lot, but the damage numbers were there at the end of the game because I was fudging them by spamming everyone.

I specced back into Gunnery yesterday and have been consistently critting for 3-5k depending on level of grav round sunder and whether I have the expertise buff. It just feels so much more useful for killing healers. The only downside is when you get an intelligent melee on you that locks you out of grav round with interupt and stuns is that your movement abilities won't be as effective as they could be if you got to stack grav round and you don't have a (fairly unreliable) snare on hammershot.

I have tried both trees for pvp and both do great. The mobility is definately a asset for Assault. At the end of the warzones though I have consistently done more damage as Assault even topping the charts a couple times. The first few times I used it I thought it paled in comparison to Gunnery but once you learn what to do it really does burn down targets quickly.

Plus...fire fire fire everywhere.

Both are great but I think I like Assault as it feels to have more options.

You can hit 250k damage if you focus fire enemies. No need to pad your numbers.

The mobility thing is crap though. The only thing that really makes it more mobile is you can kite a melee pretty easily until you get backup because of the snare on your burn proc.

That said, I'm using gunnery now and tend to do a bit better. My damage numbers are lower, but my kills are higher. Gunnery is deliciously bursty and catches people off guard. Get the drop on someone without their defenses up and you'll have them down to half health by the time they realize they're in a fight.